Dead Di2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Well I'm quick at a cable swap too, but not as quick as never having to do it, and there is always a little bit of tweaking to do after you've installed a fresh one. That and the monster front shifting is not a negligible gain.

Anyway, the OP's mechs have both stopped moving, right? Sounds like a cable/connector issue, not one that needs a fancy diagnostic tool.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Yawn! Its always the same. OP asks about di2, and the usual suspects go off topic and give the standard rant about how much better a greasy, stretchy, mechanical cable system is. "Old school", "tradition", "what if lightning strikes?", "what if you're in the middle of the desert and the battery dies?", etc. Very predictable, and not helping the OP in the least.

krusty

by krusty

Yeah, I don't think anyone is of the opinion that a cable system is so much better, just that the electronic system does not offer a 'night & day, gotta-have' difference to dump existing systems and upgrade right now, especially for the price. Most of us are watching with interest to see where it takes us in the next few years, at which point many of us will be faced with the replacement of components anyway. The technical glitches and their solutions are interesting. The relatively few I have heard of make it a system worthy of consideration. As long as non user-serviceable components have good reliability, there's no issue. However, being unable to diagnose even the simplest of problems because of proprietary software/diagnostic tools just pisses a lot of people off, and rightly so. Automotive manufacturers discovered a long time ago that the money was in after-sale service, especially for systems that couldn't be diagnosed by non factory techs. Chrysler lost that lawsuit, and hopefully the diagnostic tools for Campy and Shimano will find their way into circulation cheaply as well.

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

Have you tried resetting it? (holding the button on the controller)

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

goodboyr wrote:Yawn! Its always the same. OP asks about di2, and the usual suspects go off topic and give the standard rant about how much better a greasy, stretchy, mechanical cable system is. "Old school", "tradition", "what if lightning strikes?", "what if you're in the middle of the desert and the battery dies?", etc. Very predictable, and not helping the OP in the least.
When the nuclear war starts, and your electronic shifting system is disabled by the electromagnetic pulse, I'll still be* cruising and shifting merrily along on my mechanically shifting bike.

* Until I'm killed by or keel over from the blast effects or radiation

goodboyr

by goodboyr

No worries. I wrapped my cable harness in cadmium foil. It has a very high neutron cross section. The di2 will continue to operate, as my smoking skeleton hands try to find the buttons.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Wed May 02, 2012 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed the quote

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Have you properly tested it to ensure that it is in fact adequately nuclear hardened? Are you sure that the ICs in the electronic brain won't be fried?

krusty

by krusty

goodboyr wrote: The di2 will continue to operate, as my smoking skeleton hands try to find the buttons.

Hmm, that gives me a cool idea for a comic book...

CerveloMikey

by CerveloMikey

Back on topic. If the battery is charged and connected, check all the connections then replace the front harness with the adjustment box.
R2.5 / R3 / S-Works 29er (20 lbs) / S-Works SL4 Di2 (14.7 lbs)

neomoz

by neomoz

Sorry had to do it.

darkblue08

by darkblue08

Doesnt sound like there are to many different part that can fail: batteri, control unit or cables.
If both shifters fail, the problem is before it split up to RD and FD, if not its after they split up.
Either test the parts that can be the problem incl connection points or replace them.
I would love to get a DI2, one if the reasons bring throubleshooting it :)

trojancyclist

by trojancyclist

I'm sure that each weenie to respond with "It's a waste of money to switch to DI2 because a cable shifting system is and has been fine for years and years" all drive manual transmission cars..I mean the type with a real live cable actuated clutch....right?
Technology will move forward get ready for it.

Plugger14

by Plugger14

Well here's the update on my dead Di2

I took my battery down to Leigh at Hampton Cycles to see if this was the problem and sure enough it worked fine on another Di2 bike so it's nothing to do with the battery.

I unplugged and reattached all of the connectors for good measure - no change

Strangely enough when I hold the button down on the controller for a few seconds the RD responds and moves up and down one sprocket.

So next step is to find someone that has a diagnostic tool to get to the bottom of this.

Thank god I have another bike running analogue campy, just goes to prove that one bike is certainly not enough.

artray

by artray

D12 is becoming self-aware and its plan to take over the worlds main frames has begun right here on the WW sight with Pluggers bike.
Last edited by artray on Tue May 01, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I wonder if you have to buy a new shifter because of this. A harness fix would have been better than a shifter fix.
Maybe all you would need to do is clean up the contact on the button so power gets to the derailleur.
Let us know what you end up doing.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com