Dead Di2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Plugger14

by Plugger14

Well after 2 years and many thousands of kms of trouble free operation my Di2 has "died". The battery is fully charged up, I can press the button on the control unit to get it into adjustment mode and the red light appears but no matter what I try neither of the levers work, nothing at all. No front or rear changing.

Has anyone seen or experienced this before? And if so what is required to fix it up.

Thanks!

Plugger14

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vidman

by vidman

Take it to a shop with the diagnostics kit to check it out.
That will find the cause of the problem in minutes.

kgt

by kgt

Plugger14 wrote:Well after 2 years and many thousands of kms of trouble free operation my Di2 has "died". The battery is fully charged up, I can press the button on the control unit to get it into adjustment mode and the red light appears but no matter what I try neither of the levers work, nothing at all. No front or rear changing.

This is the historic moment of the first Di2 death. RIP.

SDP

by SDP

a seven year old with a laptop prob fix it in seconds .... lol :D

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Likely something wrong with the harness somewhere if the battery is indeed fine.

Go to your LBS/riding buddies and check your battery against other bikes.

If its still good, go to a shop with the diagnostics kit. I would think its either the connectors in the shifter levers or the front connector harness.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

The main plug just below the control unit sometimes comes adrift, but still looks ok. Try unplugging, then plugging that back together (you need to push very hard to get it to "click").

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Power not getting to the derailleur motors so likely a harness problem.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

vidman wrote:Take it to a shop with the diagnostics kit to check it out.
That will find the cause of the problem in minutes.

Strange days when a fix simply can't be done at home, but must be taken in to an authorized shop for service.

Sounds an awful lot like modern cars these days: they're running on software.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

kgt

by kgt

The case is that in cars you gain a lot in safety, economy and performance with all this electronic circuits. In bikes the gain is almost negligible. Di2 is really cool but that's all.

kac

by kac

kgt wrote:The case is that in cars you gain a lot in safety, economy and performance with all this electronic circuits. In bikes the gain is almost negligible. Di2 is really cool but that's all.

Absolutely agree. And a failure would be especially annoying on the road far, far from home...

KAC

krusty

by krusty

Since the electronic shifting idea fizzled the first time out (Mavic), I wonder if the big 2 don't get sufficient market penetration this time whether they will simply phase out cable shifting in order to ensure they get both a return on their R&D and also far higher margins on all groupsets sold.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Lol all the doom-mongers are out. Di2 requires less maintenance than a cable setup by all accounts.... that is not a negligible gain.

krusty

by krusty

petromyzon wrote:Lol all the doom-mongers are out. Di2 requires less maintenance than a cable setup by all accounts.... that is not a negligible gain.

The maintenance required of a cable setup is rather trivial for anyone who knows what they are doing. It's only a problem for those people who lack sufficient mechanical skills to open a can of soup.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Once the cables are set that's it. I haven't adjusted derailleurs for years on some of my bikes.
Adjustment does occur when changing cassettes 9-10 10-11 speeds, front ring sizes.
But all that is easily done at home or on the road.
A bike is a simple machine.
It's when it becomes complex that it becomes a bear.

It would be better if the Di2 tools were easily available for self repair.
Maintenance costs can still be high even after diagnosing a problem since replacement parts are expensive.
I encourage people to buy more Di2, and Campagnolo electronics.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree