HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:11 pm 

Just got a new Cube with their 100g carbon saddle - super light & looks great but can't get on with it & my boney back side - any thoughts on a comfier saddle at similar weight

Last edited by Frankie - B on Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
removed the unsolicited advertising.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:38 pm 

Would you seriously believe another super light saddle would offer more comfort (not to be rude)? I have been through 8 saddles and the last i bought were significantly different.
It makes a huge change where i almost gave up. It's over 180 grams, but still lighter than a few others. No more perineum pressure, no pain at all, Bontrager XXX Hilo.
I could recommend you try one out.
You can look at the heavy Adamo saddles and Dash Strike (9). I think this is a mix of these two, with a rather nice weight for what it is.
Don't care that it's deemed a TT saddle. I asked Bontrager why they call it a TT specific saddle. They guy who answered mounted one on his bike and rode with it.
He wrote me back that he get my point.

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:38 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:14 pm 
Formerly known as wassertreter

Obviously saddles are probably about the hardest to discuss. But, I've found the Selle San Marco Aspide Composite super comfortable (predecessor of current Superleggera, which I haven't tried). You just need to sit back far enough to get the wings to flex. Nice side effect is that sitting on the higher rear part will relieve the soft tissue. Never thought a carbon saddle would work for me, but this one even does without chamois (for moderate distances). It's all about what fits your rear.

Most comfortable saddle I've ridden is the Fizik Antares (non-carbon version). No problem without chamois at all. Also one of the best looking saddles, but a bit over 100g, even in the high zoot ed.

Edit: After a ride on the Aspide Composite I once again realized how much flex it has for a rider in the 70kg range. For heavier riders it might be too flexy.

Last edited by HillRPete on Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:16 am 

HillRPete wrote:
Obviously saddles are probably about the hardest to discuss. But, I've found the Selle San Marco Aspide Composite super comfortable .......You just need to sit back far enough to get the wings to flex.

There is one of those on my local CL, I wanted to try it but its red and that does not work for me.

I really like my lightly padded Carbon Williams Aurora SLC - 143g, it also has some flex to it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:26 am 

125g Romin Evo carbon rail (S-Works?)....Padded nicely and a good shape with a bit of flex. I can ride that for 5 hours whereasI would start suffering after 2 hours on my speedneedles.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:35 am 
Administrator

Saddles are hard to discuss as everybody is different, hence the reaction of WheelsONfire. For me the 86 gram Endurance made by AX Lightness is the best there is. It is based on the old Flite and is comfy as the shell flexes enough. In my experience the Selle san marco saddles are stiffer then the AX versions. Have a look at the AX line up!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:45 pm 

I'm w/ Frankie on this- I won't use any AX stuff except their saddles (because they have an excellent record of longevity and reliabliity). My endurance saddle is 5 years old now and going strong. Over the summer I do at least 2 200k rides a week (on that saddle). It still comes down to shape of the saddle and your anatomy, but they work for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:00 pm 
Administrator

The Selle Italia C64 just did not give me long term comfort nor did the AX Lightness Endurance, sorry Frank and Medth1313. But my now 9 year old AX Lightness Sprint 71 gram saddle has been awesome. It's not about the weight and more about the shape that gives you comfort. The true test is not being comfortable for a couple of hours on a saddle. A truly comfortable saddle makes you feel comfortable all day should you be spending all day in the saddle.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:12 pm 

ISM Podium works fine for me. Not the lightest but I can ride for 5+ hours (long tempo rides) without shifting much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:35 pm 
Shop Owner

Selle C64 was the best, until I hit a bump just right and broke it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:39 pm 

I'm very comfortable on a Tune KommVor, lots of flex. As you can see the answer is yes you can be comfortable on a carbon saddle. You just have to find the shape and compliance that works for you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:15 pm 
Administrator

Oh I need to add that I'm already 5 years on the endurance, and counting. For winter rides I'm mostly on the original Flite, esp for the festive 500 I put the AX seatpost and endurance saddle back in the bike. As I wanted a saddle that, i knew, was comfortable all day.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:05 pm 

The best saddle I've tried, and that I currently use, is the Saevid S1.2. It's only 79g. I have very little discomfort on 4+ hour rides.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:48 pm 

88gr on the Tune Vomm Kory Plus and my haven't see my backside this happy in a while... Was on a 145gr Fizik Arione R1 but found that too narrow. I have found that Selle Italia SLR flow's have been a bit more comfortable but still not as much as my Tune.

There is no other way of guarding oneself against flattery than by letting men understand that they will not offend you by speaking the truth; but when everyone can tell you the truth, you lose their respect.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:37 am 

Have you tried going with a thicker seat pad, something like the Sportful Total comfort at 18mm
Wheelsonfire didn't like this approach, but he is fastidious with his position and fit.

Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:37 am 

Go to page 1, 2  Next