Lightest C02 cartridge? (cartridge itself)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rino

by rino

Does the weight of the C02 cartridges themselves differ much? Anyone weigh the various brands already?

Can you get threaded 12g cartridges?

Ordered a Lezyne Speed Drive head today. We'll see how it works. My seatbag with tube, two cart's, inflator,few allen keys, patches weighs a pound. Ouch! Time to lean things down...

Gregorio

by Gregorio

The lightest one that I have seen is an empty one :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ozdavo

by ozdavo

Start with a lighter seat bag, I just got a Continental Seatpack that weighs a tiny 31.4g. Just enough room for a light weight tube, 16g CO2 & head, Levers and Very tiny multi tool
I really don't think there is any real difference in weights between CO2 brands, and I personally wouldn't bother with 12g cartridges.

BobSantini

by BobSantini

My mini pump is 86g and my inflator plus cartridge is 112g so I go with the pump.
r o y g b i v

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Agree with BobSantini, my Lezyne Carbon pump weighs 79g, lighter than a cartridge and inflator, and can pump more than one flat. A bit slower than CO2 but much more reliable on long solo rides in the hills.
Most Co2 cartridges will be very close in weight.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

My co2 cartrige and adapter is 81g. Pumps one flat only. You might be better off with the lightest pump which may take up more space.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

beardking

by beardking

can you not just put all that stuff in your jersey pockets? and 2 cartridges just in case?
i manage to do this and carry plenty of food for 4-5 hour rides. if i need to carry a jacket as well then I'm pretty much out of room and will then have to use a seat bag.

darkblue08

by darkblue08

My pump is combi normal/co2 pump, weight 64g + cartridge (68g), patches, tube (84g), plastic bag and tire levers. Total of 247g. I stopped bringing tools a long time ago. Never used them except when I was tweeking position. Im going to test a lighter tube around 55g.

adriano

by adriano

wow!

rino

by rino

darkblue08 wrote:My pump is combi normal/co2 pump, weight 64g + cartridge (68g), patches, tube (84g), plastic bag and tire levers. Total of 247g. I stopped bringing tools a long time ago. Never used them except when I was tweeking position. Im going to test a lighter tube around 55g.

Good call on the tools- ditto as I never use them but for tweeking days and that's usually just the saddle (4mm) lately.

Still don't like full pockets (always have blackberry for pandora,food,armwarmer/vest stash).

Got the bike down to 15lbs so I feel obligated to pair down the CO2 etc. My Plan: lezyne speed drive 5 g(on order) , 2 12g CO2, 2 stickon patches(need to ditch the 10g case, 50g tube,2 levers(one lever only for non-tight tire days) . Hacked away some material (-15g)off the new seatbag but still not happy w/ it. I'm thinking of a zipperless home brew cuban fiber pouch...scheeming the design in my head now.

nickf

by nickf

Depending on the length of the ride i carry everything in my jersey pocket. Lezyne everything. Speed drive, v5 tool, alloy tire levers, one co2, extra valve extender if I do bum a tube, latex tube, skicky patch kit. Everything is small enough to still fit plenty of food. I always carry 16g cartridges.

DMF

by DMF

I was under the impression that a Co2 cartridge would not fill a latex tube, or is that not the case? Something about the latex leaking the smaller Co2 particles, or something along those lines...

nickf

by nickf

It will fill it to finish a ride. But over night it will be flat.

DMF

by DMF

Oh, great news! Is it the same for all latex tubes? As I understand it not all latex tubes are 'all latex', ie Michelin among others, where as Vredestein seems to be 100% natural latex.

I've previously avoided latex tubes because I didn't wanna carry a pump, but if I can just get home on Co2 that's a non-issue...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com