Rims for a disc road bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RollingGoat
Shop Wrench

by RollingGoat

Hey all,

What rims do you think would be good for a disk brake road wheelset? I'm only looking at aluminum rims unless one of you knows of some insane deal on carbon rims. I'm looking for something without a machined brake track if possible.
I'm so rubbish at this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mgordon

by mgordon

I just bought some DT Swiss XR400 29er rims for a disc brake CX bike - pretty much the narrowest MTB rim I could find.

You can get non-machined rims from Velocity but the quality isn't quite as nice - sleeve-joint vs. welded seams.

lordconqueror

by lordconqueror

i've also been using dt rims for my road disc setup with 23mm tires with no problems

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Mavic and H plus Son (probably others too) have rims that are anodized after machining, so the brake track doesn't stand out. The Mavic Open Pro ("CD" line for the anodized variety) in particular is a very well regarded rim. H plus Son is more prevalent in the "urban" / single speed scene, so there's not so much info about them available here.

monkeyburger

by monkeyburger

Tonight I laced up a set of 700c disc wheels using Novatec hubs and Kinlin XR200 rims with Wheelsmith XL14 spokes. Light and reasonable cost. The rims are very nice at 390 grams, but have a machined brake track.
...finding my inner Onoda-kun...

blantonator

by blantonator

why not a pair of stans? the crests are ~370 grams.

mgordon

by mgordon

The Crests are a significantly wider rim - that's why i didn't pick them

jooo

by jooo

Crests are only about 2mm wider than Alpha 340s and 1mm wider than HED c2's. Even with their wider inner dimensions it's still not that much of a difference to many wider clincher rims on the market. Just use a 25c tyre and be happy with a much lighter rim than pretty much all of the other options.

nigel379

by nigel379

I agree the Crests would be perfect if they can handle high pressure. Correct me if I am wrong (and I hope I am) but aren't Stans mtb rims only designed to support 60 psi. I was thinking of some Stans too, as I have a disc alfine project bike in the back of my mind.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

so we put some of stans podium 29er wheelsets on scalpel 26ers-turned-bad-boys. 25c tires, i believe, it's been a while. we specifically called stans, and they assured us that with narrow road tires, 100psi would be ok. i know, the rims state otherwise... so either everything is fine, they dont ride, or theyre dead in a ditch somewhere.

maddog 2

by maddog 2

I run 29er Crests on my commuter with 28mm Conti GP4Seasons. They handle 85psi no problem. However, the tyres are VERY tight. You have to put about 80psi in them just to seat the bead!

If I get a puncture out on the road (not happened yet) then I'm not looking forward to either getting the tyre off, or getting enough psi in them to re-seat the bead.

In short, even though they are light rims, they aren't quite suited to road tyres so I'd recommend a road-specific rim.

The next wheels I get will be 'road' versions, not 29ers.

jooo

by jooo

Tyre pressures with tubes are pretty much whatever the tyre spec's - no idea why the low limit seems to get spread around, that's only when tubeless tyres are used.

Race 29er rims would be awesome disc road rims (slightly narrower for those worried about Crests too).

Lawfarm

by Lawfarm

Velocity A23s are nice...and can now be had without a brake track (as spec'd on the Foundry Auger). I've got a set on my Vaya and love 'em.

RollingGoat
Shop Wrench

by RollingGoat

I'm so rubbish at this.

bones

by bones

RollingGoat wrote:How about this one: http://hplusson.com/products/archetype" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sweet! I like it. Too bad nobody sells this rim.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com