Scott Addict '08 Fixie build advice please

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BreninBeener

by BreninBeener

Hi All,
I have treated myself to an immaculate Scott Addict R2 frame (2008). My plan is to build up a really nice fixie with it. I want something that looks great and is lovely and light. I live in hilly North Wales, and i have a number of other bikes to ride, but i havent had a singlespeed/fixie before. My rationale around the fixie idea is that if i totally hate it, I can build it up into a road bike without too much drama, and sell a set of wheels on to someone else.

I would like some advice on chainsets please. Its BB86, and has the bearings fitted. I am aware of lots of fabulous Heath Robinson ideas to adapt BB30 etc, but whilst i admire the effort and ingenuity of its protagonists, I just want something that will be stiff, light and have a suitable chainline. Do I have to buy a singlespeed chainset, or would something like a Dura Ace or FSA K-force mega-exo create a suitable chainline when using just an outer chainring? I like the idea of being able to use the road chainset, as it gives me other options if i cant get on with fixie pedalling. Are there any other chainsets that anyone can recommend that would still use the Shimano BB86 fitment?

Im hoping to build up using some tubs with Tune eccentric hub. Ambrosio do some nice alloy rims that i like the look of, but i wuld welcome other suggestions, esp if backed by experience. A set of carbn tubs would be nice, and i run a pr of Gipiemme carbon tubs on my road bike. Im 82kg and short and strong. Does anyone have any thoughts they would care to share?

I have been looking at finishing kit, and WilliamsCycling in the USA seem to have some great looking parts, at keen prices. My budget isnt limitess, so value is important to me. However im aware that cycling equipment can only be two out of the three desirables, namely STRONG, LIGHT, CHEAP!

regards and thanks in advance

Ian

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Interesting project - it should be ridiculously light. I can't help with the chainline but if you choose to use a standard chainset you'll want to swap the ring for a SS/FG specific one. Otherwise chain drops are virtually guaranteed as standard chainrings are designed to make it easier for the chain to slide off. FWIW my Pompino fixed has an older 105 chainset with (IIRC, I'm abroad right now) a SS chainring mounted on the inside of the spider and it works well. Oh, and I'd consider going with 3/32 rather than 1/8 for looks and WW purposes.

Do you have a link to that hub? I wasn't aware of a Tune eccentric one - only the ENO. Btw, I assume you've looked at Sheldon Brown's pages about fixed?

Riding fixed is great fun although I prefer it for riding round town rather than long rides. It's obviously also not ideal for fast group rides unless you're very strong. I find about 70 gear inches works well for general riding though you might want to go slightly lower for really serious hills. Regardless, you'll spend a lot of time out of the saddle.

BreninBeener

by BreninBeener

Hi, thanks for taking the time reply. Im afraid my assertion on the Tune hub may have been blurred by the inclusion of Christmas sherry. So sorry, im talking nonsense.

I quite like the Rotor cranks and the Dura Ace, though im concerned that if I have to use the inner mount on the spider on a chainset as lovely as a dura ace, then it may look really ugly with the outside mount redundent and exposed. I shall keep you posted.

The SB articles are fab, thank you very much. Im sure the world doesnt need quite so many non-interchangable BB types....very infuriating...

Ian

SL58

by SL58

How's it going so far? Do you know about EBB? Better idea than Eno hub?
I am contemplating a similar project and want to touch bases.

BreninBeener

by BreninBeener

Hi, well its slow going, but Rome wasnt built in a day!

I have an Addict R2 frame, that is lovely and light, but it was designed in conjunction with Shimano Press-Fit BB standard, so I didnt think that an EBB was possible! I have now got an ENO laced to an OPen Pro, so its moving forward. I have bought a DA 7900 s/h chainset, and that just slots straight in. Its not the lightest, or the most beautiful, (they were off a mates cyclocros bike) but they have polished up ok!

Should i start listing my build and posting pics? would anyone be interested?

Ian

JamieL

by JamieL

I'm really keen to see what you think. I'm building up a Planet X into a hillclimb fixie at the moment with plans to use the Eccentric hub. I got very excited when i thought i'd missed a Tune option...
My plan is to stick with road cranks but i think i'm going to have to have the chainring on the inside of the spider to get the right chainline.
Some pics would be good...

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

BreninBeener wrote:Hi, well its slow going, but Rome wasnt built in a day!

I have an Addict R2 frame, that is lovely and light, but it was designed in conjunction with Shimano Press-Fit BB standard, so I didnt think that an EBB was possible! I have now got an ENO laced to an OPen Pro, so its moving forward. I have bought a DA 7900 s/h chainset, and that just slots straight in. Its not the lightest, or the most beautiful, (they were off a mates cyclocros bike) but they have polished up ok!

Should i start listing my build and posting pics? would anyone be interested?

Ian

I'd like to see pics.

Regarding the chainset I'd advise against using the standard chainrings as they'll be optimised for shifting. I had a standard ring on my fixed for a little while and the chain kept falling off at inopportune moments (even with high chain tension) which as you can imagine is not pleasant. A track chainring is much safer.

BreninBeener

by BreninBeener

Hi, sorry, i didnt explain very well. The cranks came without the chainrings. When i got the ENO hub'd wheel, i also got a 17 and 18 tooth ENO rear sprocket included.

They are 1/8th inch, so i will be using a proper 1/8th chainring without ramps and pins :-) I have a fab pr of Ritchey carbon bars c. 205g and an SLR Team saddle at 179g. I have ordered a Pr of Campag Record Carbon brakelevers, and a 7900 DA front caliper. MY chainring plan is to go for a Fibre-lyte carbon one.....

Need to decide on a seatpost asap. Its 31.6mm and I quite fance a Thomson Masterpiece unless there are any recommendations....

I will take a few pics

Ian

andrewleitch86

by andrewleitch86

Any updates om this? Sounds like it'll build up nice.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xyimny

BreninBeener

by BreninBeener

Hi,
im afraid ive been a little lazy with this build. I have been collecting parts, and i will post an update this weekeend.

Im afraid i got sidetracked by buying a DA equipped Cube Litening Super HPC. With my tubs on, it seems to be less than 6kg! And its fab to ride.

I will update asap

Ian

tochnics

by tochnics

i love riding on my fixed gear bike and yours should be greath with the low weight
but riding fixed in hills is not that greath
uphill its fun but downhill you are limited to a pretty low velocity because at high speed you cant keep up the cadance
i do my daily commute fixed wich is only 25 km and i am riding pretty slow so i wont ruin my knees with the strong headwinds we got here
keep it coming because this could be very light
there is another member here with a ghisallo fixed gear wich is pretty light to

cheers
Join the light side

a light bike does make you go faster unless you are slow

BreninBeener

by BreninBeener

Well, we have plenty of hills here, and usually a decent SW wind too, as i live near the coast.

What gearing are you using? And do you have any observations about it? I havent committed to a front chainring yet, but i do have a 17 and 18T White Ind spocket to chose from in my final build.

I have been looking at the FIBRE LYTE website for a carbon chainring....nice!

BreninBeener

by BreninBeener

Ok, i am sorry i have been very slack in posting any updates with this build, but im now in a position to post some weights and components to be used. Its not finished, but almost everything that isnt in my garage is on order...

The Scott Addict R2 came with:-
i) a BB86 bottom bracket fitted
ii) headset fitted
iii) 3 carbon spacers and a top cap and bolt
iv) rear mech hanger
v) bottle cage bolts
vi) seatpost collar
vii) and the Scott forks!

On my digital scales it weighs 1330g for all the above.

I removed the forks and discovered that they weigh 334g, making the frame with all its ancilliaries 996g

I have a pr of Dura Ace cranks 7900, that weigh 526g without rings.

I purchased a White Industries ENO rear hub that was built onto a Mavic Open Pro clincher 32h rim with Sapim spokes in a 2x lacing. This wheel including its mounting bolts and rim tape weighs 1034g

The wheel came with 2x 1/8th rear sprockets. They are a 17T=68g and an 18T = 77g

As I type, I am awaiting an Open Pro front wheel in 28H drilling with a Hope Pro hub.

I have a pr of Ritchey Super Logic Evo carbon bars. They are 214g

Today I collected a pr of SRAM S900 brake levers in carbon. I havent had chance to weigh them yet, but i will!

I have some Continental Supersonic tubes that are en-route to me. They are claimed to be 50g each. They will be paired with Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tyres that are 190g

I have a PRO carbon seatpost, and a saddle that i cant remember the details of. I will update as soon as i can with pics and weights!

Ian

BreninBeener

by BreninBeener

This is an extract of an e-mail to a friend, it illustrates a little of the weight weenie angst and madness at compromise!

I bought a nice light frameset to start the project. I then got a great pr of stiff light bars at a price i could afford. All was well and on track :-) My angst of what wheelset was effectively solved by me finding a new rear ENO on an Open Pro clincher and sprox. It was too good to ignore, but now has lowered the bar with fastidiousness regarding weight. Its always going to be heavier than if i had built with tub rims, though i take a little comfort from Harry R saying its the very best clincher rim. My LBS has got a pr of Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tyres for me. They have a little puncture protection and are 190g, so with a latex tube it will be durable and not too rim heavy.

The madness started with the brake levers. I really like the Campag Record levers that you have, they look great, and they are comfy to hold when you sit on the hoods. I seldom use the drops, and the hoods is def my default position.

A mail order outlet had the levers for £99 delivered, and i had told myself that i really wanted them, but as Xmas was expensive, i waited for another payday. When i had some money, they had gone up to £129 so i had a sulk. I then looked at SRAM 900 carbons. they were not as pretty, a bit heavier, and a bit cheaper. I then got to thinking that 40g heavier was saving me about £40, and so i looked on forums and saw Cane Creek levers again a tiny bit heavier and £40 a pr. And i discovered that Tekro are the real manufacturers so you can get them for £25 a pr!! So i agonised about the cost per gram ratio and made little lists of pros and cons and then just sat still for a while. Well to cut a long story short, my LBS will do me a Pr of the Record Carbons for £100, so i have ordered them!!

The Record levers are out of stock and unavailable, so I now have the SRAM S900 carbons. They do look very handsome in the flesh!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

The Cane Creek/Tektro levers are a bit crap IMO so you did well to avoid them. I found them kind of spongey.

Not as sexy as carbon levers, but I really like the Shimano R600s. They're kind of expensive at around £50 normally but you sometimes get good deals. I expect the SRAM ones will be fairly nice too.