Quick advice on spoke length please on A23 rims R45 hubs.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ergott

by ergott

The spoke gauge isn't the deciding factor, the rim is. I build those up to more like 120-125kgf. They are 464g rims so they aren't exactly lightweight. Using a lighter gauge spoke on the NDS is for a different reason. When you use a lighter gauge spoke, for a given tension it is stretched more. That means that it would require a larger movement for them to go slack. Using the heavier gauge spoke on the DS increases the lateral stiffness to help prevent that.

That's the theory anyway.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Thanks Ergott, understand what you are saying... we're on the same page there.

Interestingly, one of the three Ambrosio rim sets I have is the bronze colour, from 2009 I think, before they switched to the darker grey anodization of the current model. I prefer the bronze colour for a build I'm about to do, and in fact this set is only 440 grams/rim versus the newer darker ones wich come in exactly as you say... 464 grams +/-.

Sorry for the slight diversion off the main topic of this thread, but as usual, your information was helpful.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Liggero

by Liggero

For god sake... google "spocalc excel" and download the excel sheet to properly calculate spoke lenght. it's all perfectly explained in the file.

CK and TUNE are both over rated. Get a nice dt swiss 240's or some good taiwanese hubset on ebay or better go to bikehubstore.com and ask for advise, they have very good prices, nice hubs and full range of spokes and rims.
Happy Trails !!!

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Liggero wrote:For god sake... google "spocalc excel" and download the excel sheet to properly calculate spoke lenght. it's all perfectly explained in the file.

CK and TUNE are both over rated. Get a nice dt swiss 240's or some good taiwanese hubset on ebay or better go to bikehubstore.com and ask for advise, they have very good prices, nice hubs and full range of spokes and rims.

Chill Winstone. You really seem rather uptight all the time. We cant all be online genius'.