BB30 Frames

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KH1

by KH1

I suspect this may have been covered before but I'm buggered if I can find it......
Does anyone know of a list of manufacturers that make BB30 Frames?
The obvious ones I know - but I'm interested in seeing how many companies adopted the standard.
Any help or pointers would be appreciated.
Don't let the truth get in the way of good story...
2023 Propel Advanced SL (Growing in the Petrie dish)
2022 Trance Advanced Pro 1
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2020 TCR Advanced SL 0 (Dead)
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxxevv

by maxxevv

I would tend to think that the Press-Fit BB30 standard to be more flexible and easier to install/maintain ?

vmajor
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by vmajor

No, the main benefit of PF30, as with all other press-fit cup systems, is that the BB shells are easier to manufacture, so BB shell suppliers are moving en masse to PF30 since it reduces the QC reject rate. PF30 shells do not have to have the super tight tolerances that BB30 requires to work correctly. Press-fit is mainly of the benefit to the manufacturers, not consumers.

Our future alloy frames will be PF30 for that reason. The shell supplier to our frame maker moved away from BB30 shells. Fortunately the drawbacks of PF30 versus a real BB30 are just a minor weight increase so we do not feel compelled to insist on BB30 at all costs.

V.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

vmajor wrote:No, the main benefit of PF30, as with all other press-fit cup systems, is that the BB shells are easier to manufacture, so BB shell suppliers are moving en masse to PF30 since it reduces the QC reject rate. PF30 shells do not have to have the super tight tolerances that BB30 requires to work correctly. Press-fit is mainly of the benefit to the manufacturers, not consumers.

Our future alloy frames will be PF30 for that reason. The shell supplier to our frame maker moved away from BB30 shells. Fortunately the drawbacks of PF30 versus a real BB30 are just a minor weight increase so we do not feel compelled to insist on BB30 at all costs.

V.

Yes, I'm well aware of that. But there are the side benefits to the end user too for the PF30. To me, especially if its a aluminium or carbon shell, the way a BB30 is installed, by the time you get to the 3rd or 4th install, there will be some wear and tear on the shell surfaces already. Which would defeat the tight tolerances required in BB30 for a good and proper installation of the bearings. Its somewhat similar to the bearing races in wheel hubs. By the 3rd or 4th installs, you'll find that its no longer 'press-fit' by tool anymore, more like press-fit-by-fingers ... In the case of the BB bearings it would mean a fair amount of play and like creaks in actual use.

PFBB30 by comparison due to the nylon interface, doesn't induce this sort of wear and tear on the race surface. And would be more tolerant of poor installation skills too as the nylon sleeve being deformed rather than the BB shell in the case of poor alignment. And being nylon, you're far less likely to get the irritating 'creaks' from long term used as opposed to the original BB30 interface too! ....

Hence, my take on benefits to the end-user. :wink:

byhsu

by byhsu

Hi, is the Selene Frame BB30 or PF30?

Thank You

vmajor

by vmajor

Velocite Selene is BB30

V.

bones

by bones

I would be wary of getting any frame with BB30, let alone an aluminum frame with BB30. The creaking issues are well-documented and have been confirmed by numerous riders over multiple forums who don't have any sort of vested interest in their frame or the BB30 standard.

vmajor

by vmajor

Yes BB30 can creak, but so can BSA/ISO systems. In my experience the BB30 creaking most often occurs due to grime/rust buildup between the crank axle and the inner bearing races.

BB30 bottom bracket does allow you to convert it to BSA/ISO system using a simple adapter, if the potential of BB30 creaking is a major consideration. You still gain the higher stiffness of the frame due to larger tube profiles and resultant stronger welds.

V.

bones

by bones

vmajor wrote:Yes BB30 can creak, but so can BSA/ISO systems. In my experience the BB30 creaking most often occurs due to grime/rust buildup between the crank axle and the inner bearing races.

BB30 bottom bracket does allow you to convert it to BSA/ISO system using a simple adapter, if the potential of BB30 creaking is a major consideration. You still gain the higher stiffness of the frame due to larger tube profiles and resultant stronger welds.

V.

You're a salesman who has an aluminum frame with BB30. You have a vested interest in promoting your frame and the BB standard it uses. To be blunt, I could care less what you think.

Everyone else. Just do a google search. Type in BB30 creaking. Tons of legit opinions from multiple real-world users.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

vmajor wrote:Yes BB30 can creak, but so can BSA/ISO systems. In my experience the BB30 creaking most often occurs due to grime/rust buildup between the crank axle and the inner bearing races.

V.

Though there is truth in what you point out here BUT... wouldn't PF-BB30 make it even better since it inherently has all the benefits of BB30, while correcting for many of its pitfalls/shortcomings ... ???

vmajor

by vmajor

Easy there.

This is a public forum and not "bones" forum. Besides, my post is a statement of facts as we know them, as makers of the Selene and other frames that use BB30. We also clearly have a vested interest in BB30, in fact our interest in BB30 is a definition of "vested". That part is obvious.

V.

bones

by bones

vmajor wrote:Easy there.

This is a public forum and not "bones" forum. Besides, my post is a statement of facts as we know them, as makers of the Selene and other frames that use BB30. We also clearly have a vested interest in BB30, in fact our interest in BB30 is a definition of "vested". That part is obvious.

V.

Bull. I know your game. Your posts factual? Yeah, factual in a way that supports the stuff you sell.

vmajor

by vmajor

@maxevv

Future versions of the Selene will use PF30, but the main reason is the difficulty of making precisely machined BB30 shells so the shell manufacturer refuses (!) to make them any more. Tolerances for PF30 are less strict.

The synthetic press in part of the PF30 BB will help with noise that results from the bearings rubbing inside the frame, but as mentioned above, in my own Selene where I experimented with fixing the bearings in place using an assembly compound, creaking is actually caused by the oxidation of the inner races of the bearings and rubbing against the axle. The creaking goes away once the axle is cleaned and re-greased. This may be different with different bearing/crank brands due to different tolerances.

V.

vmajor

by vmajor

@bones

I am now assuming that you are trolling me. In case I am wrong I hope you do not mind if I ignore you.

V.

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

I´ve assembled a few frames and looking around my frames that are all between BSA, BB30 and PF30.
I do like PF30 better than BB30 or BSA just because it don´t require a metal sheel so no galvanic corrosion when using a aluminum shell in a carbon frame.

Especially when you make frames, one failure can be costly, and what I see, PF30 is lighter than BB30, as it´s only carbon there but requires a crank BB adapter and these weighs.
Until then BB30 are lighter than PF30.
Experimental Prototype

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com