Strange problem with new sram red cassette

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JensW

by JensW

Mounted my new sram red grouser yesterday, but i have a problem that i can´t figure out how to solve, if you look at http://hem.bredband.net/baltazar/fel.mov you can se that the cassette lifts the chain up one/two times every rotation, and it´s not the sprocket on the side of the chain that lift it up, it´s more as it got out of sync with the tooth on the sprocket, the problem is just on 4,5,6,7 and 8 sprocket, not on the three lightest gears and not on the two on the bottom. any idea what it could be?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

does it do it when your pedalling forwards?? most rear deraileurs do this backwards thanks to imperfect tuning etc. if it does it going forwards im not sure on the issue.
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

JensW

by JensW

weeracerweenie wrote:does it do it when your pedalling forwards?? most rear deraileurs do this backwards thanks to imperfect tuning etc. if it does it going forwards im not sure on the issue.

yes it does, just happened to peddling backwards when filming. the problem is the same pedaling forwards,

better movie to show the problem http://hem.bredband.net/baltazar/fel2.mov

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Didn't mention, is this a brand new chain also? What brand chain?

If it is an older stretched chain, it could cause that. The way it mated/wore with an old cassette would cause weird tolerance issues due to wear/stretch.

But, it could also be a Sram manufacturing issue. I had a OG1090, middle gears would make noise, then outside gears were much quieter. Just a little tolerance gap during machining/finishing can cause all sorts of noises on cassettes/chainrings etc.

I sold the Sram and went back to my DuraAce cassettes, they work perfect and quiet compared to the Sram.

runner999

by runner999

Provided the tuning is right, I'd try either a "KCNC X10SL" or a "YBN SL 101-Ti" 10spd chain. To me it behaves like you have a 9spd chain on a 10spd drivetrain.

em3

by em3

....check the alignment of your rear der hanger

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

I second that - derailleur hanger alignment could be the culprit.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

JensW

by JensW

it´s the new sram red 1091R chain and the new sram red x-dome cassette. Changed cassette to a force, and now it´s working as it should, it also working great with a ultegra cassette, so i guess that it is the x-dome cassette, or are i thinking wrong? :D
Last edited by JensW on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cmdr199212

by cmdr199212

It could be b-limit screw as well as hanger alignment

JensW

by JensW

cmdr199212 wrote:It could be b-limit screw as well as hanger alignment

b-limit screw, we have installed it al as in instruction, but IF those two would be a problem, should´t i have the same problem with a sram force or a shimano ultegra cassette?

Wcl4

by Wcl4

I've had this problem before on my Campy. There were three things I checked - 1) alignment of rear derailleur to cassette 2) cable tension on the rear derailleur (I had an aluminum ferrule shifter cap that was catching the steel cable) 3) Chain link pins were a little tight and loosened with some chain lubricant.

Even though the problem could be fixed with a different cassette, I've found that on my SRAM bikes, even going from 11-26 to 11-28 required some readjustment.

JensW

by JensW

Wcl4 wrote:I've had this problem before on my Campy. There were three things I checked - 1) alignment of rear derailleur to cassette 2) cable tension on the rear derailleur (I had an aluminum ferrule shifter cap that was catching the steel cable) 3) Chain link pins were a little tight and loosened with some chain lubricant.

Even though the problem could be fixed with a different cassette, I've found that on my SRAM bikes, even going from 11-26 to 11-28 required some readjustment.

yes, both both cassettes is 11-23

CharlesM

by CharlesM

It aint the casette.

it's one of the things above, or a combination.

Cable tension, rear der adjustment, Hanger alignment, limit screw...

If it's on the lowest (11 or 12) make sure your casette lock ring is the right size for the casette too...

JensW

by JensW

CharlesM wrote:It aint the casette.

it's one of the things above, or a combination.

Cable tension, rear der adjustment, Hanger alignment, limit screw...

If it's on the lowest (11 or 12) make sure your casette lock ring is the right size for the casette too...

the problem is on gear 4, 5 ,6,7 and 8. it works flawless on gear 1,2,3,9 and 10. if al the gears would´t work and if it wash´t working flawless with a sram force cassette (as it do, working flawless on al gears with force cassette), i would agree that it would be some of the things you mention. The locking, i for sure hope it´s the right one, considering that it´s the one that came with the x-dome cassette.

so if it´s not the cassette, how come it´s working on those gears (mention above) and working flawless on other cassettes? sorry if the question is stupid, but can´t se what other problem then the cassette it could be, and i´m not alone on that, showed it for 5 experienced mechanics, and they al say the it´s not the hanger, wire or derailleur

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pantani

by Pantani

I reckon you have a problem with the cassette. Have a look at the positioning of the elastomers and check if they appear to be protruding more towards the teeth on the sprockets that are giving you trouble.

I'm researching this issue myself.

@ Peztech. Watch this space.
Not everything that counts can be counted. Not everything that can be counted counts.