Pinarello Fork race seating problem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jimmer23

by jimmer23

So I'm putting together the new Dogma and I've reached a snag - hope someone can help me out (Lee?). When I put the Prince together, the front fork kind of "snapped" into place and took a fair amount of force to seat the lower race (the Pinarellos use a hiddenset BTW). Now I'm putting together the Dogma and the lower race just won't seat in place. I bashed the fork in as far as it will go with the spine of a hardcover book (still spins smoothly, I'm sure no bearing damage), and I'm STILL 2mm away from fully seated. Anyone else run into this? As you can see below in the pics the Prince (yellow) is seated properly while the Dogma (copper) is definitely not.
Maybe it's the ceramic treatment to the tubes that has made the lower race harder to get into the headtube? I'm hoping that this problem will fix itself after the first hard bump I hit. Any ideas?

Thanks fellas!
Jim
Attachments
dogma fork.jpg
prince fork.jpg
prince fork 2.jpg
dogma fork 2.jpg

LJ
WWotY 2006 / Smart convert

by LJ

jimmer23 wrote:So I'm putting together the new Dogma and I've reached a snag - hope someone can help me out (Lee?). When I put the Prince together, the front fork kind of "snapped" into place and took a fair amount of force to seat the lower race (the Pinarellos use a hiddenset BTW). Now I'm putting together the Dogma and the lower race just won't seat in place. I bashed the fork in as far as it will go with the spine of a hardcover book (still spins smoothly, I'm sure no bearing damage), and I'm STILL 2mm away from fully seated. Anyone else run into this? As you can see below in the pics the Prince (yellow) is seated properly while the Dogma (copper) is definitely not.
Maybe it's the ceramic treatment to the tubes that has made the lower race harder to get into the headtube? I'm hoping that this problem will fix itself after the first hard bump I hit. Any ideas?

Thanks fellas!
Jim

Jim, yes I've seen this before. Recently actually. The mechanic at the LBS received a Pinarello Paris (normal version) as a thank you for selling loads of Pinarello's (mainly to me :lol: go figure!). He had the same problem. The top of the fork actually had a bulbous carbon section that prevented it going into the frame. We tried brute force but the carbon was too thick. Must be some sort on production prob with Onda forks. We ended up "filing-down" the extra carbon. Be careful if you do this though - dont file too much off and do it equally all round.

From the look of your pics the problem doesnt seem nearly as bad. I would say a bit more force should do the trick. I dont see you having any problems with the way it is now though, apart from the fact that you know its there :lol:

Hope this helps...... :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LJ

by LJ

My fork is ok....

Good luck Jim, I think another hard whack should do it.
Attachments
Dogma Fassa 006.jpg

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

As a non-Pinarello owner I maybe unfit to comment. However, if I received a part in such a defective condition I would return it and demand perfection. The fine gentlemen in Italy (or wherever the forks are made) are obviously not doing any serious quality control on their production.

Such a problem is a disgrace to the name. How would you feel about this if your last name was Pinarello? Don't file and don't use force.

(Of course your options depend on where you bought the fork.)

LJ

by LJ

Of course there is that option Jim. Where did you buy it from? I'm sure they would replace the forks....

We filed the forks as they were a "gift" It seemed rude to ask for a replacement. Guess we just have impeccable manners :lol:

divve

by divve

It's not a defect and when buying Italian these things can be expected. It's simply the nature of the beast.

As LJ suggested, file or sand the fork down a little bit. Don't worry, it's part of normal bike building procedure. You won't harm things. You'll need about 0.1 - 0.15mm interference fit. I also recommend that you use a proper crown race setting tool.

MWinegar

by MWinegar

I would not advise ridding the frame until the headset in properly tightened.

"Wacking" the crown race until it fits is also a bad idea, because it could damage your fork.

I would look at the crown race and see how much that will need to be sanded and sand around the steerer.

Having worked the bike industry for 8 years I would take the fork back to your LBS and have them look at it.

jimmer23

by jimmer23

Thanks for the tips guys. It's not actually the steerer tube though, it's the lower race that won't "snap" into place in the lower headset. The race is already installed on the fork properly, it just won't now go into the headtube/headset (I hope the below pics illustrate this better). Like I said, the same thing happened with the Prince - it had to "snap" into place. For instance, I'm sitting here with that frame right now and can't remove the fork pulling as hard as I possibly can. I'm wondering if this is a specific little quirk on Pinarellos or the hiddenset headset that they use?
Attachments
dogma fork 5.jpg
dogma fork 4.jpg
dogma fork 3.jpg

LJ

by LJ

Jim, when you have tried to "snap" the race in, how much force have you used and how steady are the forks (have you clamped them to anything?)

divve

by divve

The Hiddenset should seat normally without binding your fork. It's impossible to tell from here, but perhaps your frame hasn't been reamed properly. You could have a seating problem (for whatever reason) if the bearing sticks out a few millimeter from below the frame. If it doesn't stick out perhaps something is crimped, indicated by the binding fork. Try to remove the fork (hit the steerer from the top with a rubber mallet if necessary), then turn the bearings with your finger. Both should be smooth.

jimmer23

by jimmer23

LJ wrote:Jim, when you have tried to "snap" the race in, how much force have you used and how steady are the forks (have you clamped them to anything?)

I've used about as much force as I feel comfortable using on a carbon fork. ;-)
I gave it some really good whacks with the binding of a heavy hardcover book (fits up nicely inbetween the fork). It's as steady as can be with the toptube in my other hand.

jimmer23

by jimmer23

divve wrote:The Hiddenset should seat normally without binding your fork. It's impossible to tell from here, but perhaps your frame hasn't been reamed properly. You could have a seating problem (for whatever reason) if the bearing sticks out a few millimeter from below the frame. If it doesn't stick out perhaps something is crimped, indicated by the binding fork. Try to remove the fork (hit the steerer from the top with a rubber mallet if necessary), then turn the bearings with your finger. Both should be smooth.

That's the funny thing, it's not crimped, the steering is perfect except for the fact that I happen to know that it's not installed completely. This happened with the Prince too - I didn't know any better and went out riding with the gap (albeit it was smaller). First hard bump it snapped right into place where it is now today. Hmmmm, it's not that dark out yet...

LJ

by LJ

Good luck Jim. Looks like we've exhausted everything here. Let us know if the pothole works :wink: :lol:

jimmer23

by jimmer23

LJ wrote:Good luck Jim. Looks like we've exhausted everything here. Let us know if the pothole works :wink: :lol:

Cool, I'll let y'all know how it goes tomorrow. Thought it may be systematic to Pinarellos or hiddensets, but it looks like I'm just crazy maybe. Cross your fingers for the "pothole method"... :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

by HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

but perhaps your frame hasn't been reamed properly.

I am thinking the same thing... I would look into this before using the 'pothole' method... GOOD LUCK!