BEST BB30 bearings for CD EVO?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CBRE

by CBRE

I have pretty much replaced every single part on this bike, at this point im still ok with the crank, rear der, ft der and shifters, BUT, not sure what Kmart BB bearings they used but there are horrid, pulled the crank and spindle and they barley turn by hand, lots of roughness to them. I don't want to buy the wrong ones, are they just common pressfit BB30's? I will have my local shop swap them once I get them, I would like the smoothest bearings possible, ceramic or steel.
Curt Brown

2016 Cannondale EVO Etap 13.8#'s
2012 Cannondale Supersix EVO etap 13.7#'s
2017 Cannondale SUPER X Force 16.0#'s
2016 Cannondale FatCad2 28.1#'s
2011 Cannondale Carbon Flash 1 17.9#'s

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

These bikes do not use bb30 bottom brackets. Get someone who knows what they are doing to buy your parts and install them.

yoquh

by yoquh

Tokyo Drifter wrote:These bikes do not use bb30 bottom brackets. Get someone who knows what they are doing to buy your parts and install them.

Pretty sure that the Cannondale Evo uses pressfit BB30 BB.

From Cannondales site it says it uses SRAM PressFit BB30 BB. As i don't have a evo but just a CAAD 9 I have no idea if they are indeed that bad.
But when I was looking for some bearings to go with my hollowgram I found this site http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id232.html. And found a few posts around on forums that said they were pretty good. But I went with the ones from cannondale so I can't really say if they are any good or not

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Tokyo Drifter wrote:These bikes do not use bb30 bottom brackets. Get someone who knows what they are doing to buy your parts and install them.

Wow...clueless.

Cannondale ONLY uses BB30. Gheez...they invented the standard.

2wheeljunkie

by 2wheeljunkie

yep, EVO's are BB30. i got my evo new built with Dura ace and the hollowgram cranks. came with plastic shim washers in the bottom bracket that caused lots of drag. removed the 2 washers and the crank spun much freer.
not much to choose from in bearing quality. Either steel or ceramic.

motorthings

by motorthings

my evo is PF30, which is a "flavor" of BB30

the PF30 bearings are in a plastic bushing which is pressfit into the BB shell, rather than the bearings themselves being pressed directly into a shell in the BB.

that being said, i thought the stock bearings that came with my evo were fine. i have always used the SRAM or Cdale bearings (non-ceramic), and never had a complaint.
Last edited by motorthings on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CBRE

by CBRE

motorthings wrote:my evo is PF30, which is a "flavor" of BB30, but uses diff bearings AFAIK

the PF30 bearings are in a plastic bushing which is pressfit into the BB shell, rather than the bearings themselves being pressed directly into a shell in the BB.

that being said, i thought the stock bearings that came with my evo were fine. i have always used the SRAM or Cdale bearings (non-ceramic), and never had a complaint.

Yeah mine are shot, about 2500 miles on them. So I should order PF30 bearings? Im taking that PF means press fit.
Curt Brown

CBRE

by CBRE

BTW for now im just sticking with the SRAM Red crank and spindle if that matters, like to get these ordered today.
Curt Brown

motorthings

by motorthings

just order a set of SRAM pf30 bearings and you should be good to go.

btw - if you didn't swap out your bearing shields when you first built it up, the ones that come along with the frameset in a baggie are different, and are what should be used, in conjunction with the std. crank wave washer and shim washers (at least with the red crank).

Estelja

by Estelja

If your bearings are in plastic cups that get pressed into the frame then yes, you have PressFit BB30. The bearings themselves are the same as regular BB30, measuring 42x30x7mm and referred to in the industry as size "6806". Your frame's BB shell would just be slightly larger than regular BB30 to accomodate the pressed in plastic cups. You can remove the bearings from the plastic cups and replace them with any brand 6806 bearing or you can just get aftermarket PF30 cups with bearings already installed.

Recommended PF30 cups with bearings:
Token: http://www.tufonorthamerica.biz/index.p ... ts_id=1092" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FSA: http://www.fullspeedahead.com/category_ ... M-BRACKETS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bare 6806 bearings:
Hawk: http://hawk-racing.com/accessories/BB30.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Phil Wood: http://www.philwood.com/products/bearingpgs/stand.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Enduro: http://endurobearings.com/products/bearings/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boca Bearing: http://www.bocabearings.com/search.aspx ... erator=%3d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

motorthings

by motorthings

^ great clarification...thanks for all the info!

pholcus

by pholcus

After 2 pairs of original Cdale ceramic, each lasted 2000 km, I switched to a pair of Skf 6806 2rs bearings, they run silk smoothe and fine after 1 year and 4000 km.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

I pick my Evo frameset up tomorrow morning :D - plan is to get the BB30 bearings pressed in when i collect it. Not sure if anyone else has used them, but took a chance and bought some 'Acer Racing' ceramic 6806 2RS bearings off the internet - they only cost me £26 delivered (fantastic service too). Way cheaper then most other ceramic options out there - if they dont last then it was worth a try!

Phill P

by Phill P

If you want the best - get ceramic speed if they make the 6806 size. They will cost you a lot though HSC would be next, and far better value.

I know where Boca used to get their bearings from, and I wouldn't go there. They might be fine for RC cars and helicopters. If you look around enduro have helped make a lot of haters of ceramic bearings, but even worse were the original cannondale ceramics (but apparently they use a different source now).
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

motorthings

by motorthings

Beancouter wrote:I pick my Evo frameset up tomorrow morning :D - plan is to get the BB30 bearings pressed in when i collect it.

my evo frameset already had the pf30 pf'ed when it came out of the box.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com