Cutting an ISP

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jamiemcp

by Jamiemcp

Any tips on cutting one, and ideas on tools needed?

I know the adage measure twice cut once

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

roca rule

by roca rule

depending on the frame
some like my look 595 come with a clamp to guide you.
even with the guide i usualy put electrical tape around the area to be cut, to minimize the fraying a bit. make sure use a new blade of you are using a manual saw.

Geoff

by Geoff

You don't need any special equipment. Use a layer of tape as roca rule has advised and a very fine (32 TPI) blade. Cut part way through, stop, and complete the cut from the opposite side. Finish the cut with a very gentle bevel using a fine, sharp mill bastard file.

Oh yeah, do it outside using a mask, eye protection and gloves.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Geoff wrote:You don't need any special equipment.

Er ... tube cutting guide?

Geoff

by Geoff

Not required.

fordred

by fordred

borrow a jig from ur LBS. Less chance of going wrong during sawing.

Wcl4

by Wcl4

I've cut the isps on my Wilier Cento SL and Look 695. The Wilier uses the seat topper so it doesn't require a perfectly precise cut. The Look, since the seatpost inserts into the seat tube, leaves the ISP completely exposed to the edge - so it requires a perfectly precise and level cut. Not sure how handy you are, but for the 695, I used my belt sander with the guide still attached to level out any inconsistencies. Then I took some 600 grit paper and ran it around the corner edge to prevent the clearcoat from chipping. If you're not comfortable with cutting the post, spend the money for the LBS to do it since there's no going back. Good luck!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wcl4

by Wcl4

Juanmoretime wrote:I cut my Scott Plasma 2 tt bike. I used the Park guide. http://www.parktool.com/product/oversiz ... ide-sg-7-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; As others have mentioned a brand new 32 tooth hacksaw blade. A high quality hack saw. I measured everything about 10 times over a couple of days since a mistake can make the frame useless to you. Wrapped the section where I was going to cut with masking tape and cut thru the tape. I did the half cut flipping the guide too. All said pretty easy and a nice no splinter cut.

I did this as well - definitely a good suggestion to wrap the tube it tape as it helps prevent splintering. But cutting from the other side is also key.