How to place decals on the rim?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
WasFab

by WasFab

I have new decals and I'm wondering if someone know a method to put them on rim's flange first time properly and right?

by Weenie

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Clean rim with cleaner that evaporates and leaves no film.
Apply decal carefully.
Now was that hard?
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

cep111

by cep111

I will be doing the same thing this evening. I plan on trimming the bottom of the application paper evenly so I align it from the edge of the rim. Getting them aligned and spaced is the hardest part. I do know that pro's use soapy water and then squeegy it out sometimes.

WasFab

by WasFab

I did it with peeling the ack of sticker and place it gradually according to eye measure. It's all fine
Thanks and good luck

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?dbca2v

cep111

by cep111

It looks like it will be a time consuming tedious job with 12 large stickers to apply. Hopefully it will go smoothly

quattrings

by quattrings

stickers add weight, why bother unless you're being paid to ride a particalur brand of wheels :noidea:

importbible

by importbible

You can apply it using the wet method:

- clean your rim, I would even use clay bar
- prepare a mixture of water and a drop of dish soap in a spray bottle
- spray the rim, peel the decal and give it a mist as well
- position the decal, proceed to use a squeegee or a credit card w/ a thin cloth wrapped around it to push the air and water out
- allow to dry
- peel backing

It's important that you don't "soak" the decal, just a light mist is enough. You want to be able to reposition the decal but still have it tack on to the surface.

by Weenie