Boyd wheels ...???? any coments anyone..?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mordi

by Mordi

So I raced the Boyd 24mm tubulars in L'Etape du CA yesterday (15th overall :D ). The wheels performed flawlessly - spun up super fast on the hills. They are remarkably stiff for low profile tubulars with 20/24 spoke counts. After climbing 11,300 feet in the race, we had to descend 22 miles from the finish down 16% grades on iffy pavement. The braking on these babies was amazing -- super smooth and predictable.

Thanks again to Nicole and Boyd Johnson for a great product and excellent service!!

rainbowstripes

by rainbowstripes

Mordi wrote:So I raced the Boyd 24mm tubulars in L'Etape du CA yesterday (15th overall :D ). The wheels performed flawlessly - spun up super fast on the hills. They are remarkably stiff for low profile tubulars with 20/24 spoke counts. After climbing 11,300 feet in the race, we had to descend 22 miles from the finish down 16% grades on iffy pavement. The braking on these babies was amazing -- super smooth and predictable.

Thanks again to Nicole and Boyd Johnson for a great product and excellent service!!

Spread the word...Best chance for the next success in a national product...great people.... attention to detail...and the willingness to succeed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mordi

by Mordi

After buying the 25mm tubulars and being very happy with them, I purchased the 50mm clinchers and now have about 100 miles on them. The wheels came in very true, stiff and silky smooth. I'm using Veloflex Master 23mm tires and they ride like tubulars (actually they are smoother than my 25mm tubulars with Veloflex Carbons -- go figure). The proprietary brake pads that have to be used with the Boyd clinchers are very smooth and quiet, but they definitely require a longer runway to brake. Not so with the tubulars using Swissstop Yellow pads. Oh and I also got the ghost decals, so they are stealth and mean looking. Will try to post photos later.

by 252002

I’ve been talking to Boyd about a set of 38/38 or 38/50 clinchers. They will be replacing my Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLE clinchers. I’m looking for two things, one is the weight savings, the other is to help with the crosswind. I just can’t decide on if I should get a 38 or 50 in the rear. Anybody have any good pictures?

Roasty

by Roasty

just received my Boyd 50mm tubulars.

question about the front wheel.. tried spinning the wheel holding the ends of the hubs, and find there is a lot of resistance to spinning. wheel stops after 4-5 turns. its pretty hard to even just rotate the hub ends with my fingers.

is this normal and do the hubs require some breaking in / lubing?

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

Put it in a fork and then spin it. Also yes some wheels may feel a little sticky at first. Just ride them and you won't notice it.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Roasty wrote:just received my Boyd 50mm tubulars.

question about the front wheel.. tried spinning the wheel holding the ends of the hubs, and find there is a lot of resistance to spinning. wheel stops after 4-5 turns. its pretty hard to even just rotate the hub ends with my fingers.

Email Boyd, they are lickity split on the customer service and he will tell you what is going on.

coachboyd
in the industry

by coachboyd

The bearings when brand new can be a little "sticky". After a ride or two they should break in and be spinning very smoothly. There will also be a lot of difference between how a bearing feels in your fingers compared to on the road, because of how much larger the rim is compared to the end cap. Think of it like a merry go round, it's a lot easier to turn it by pushing on the outer edge compared to if you pushed it near the center.
http://www.boydcycling.com The Handcrafted Revolution

ms6073

by ms6073

coachboyd wrote:Think of it like a merry go round, it's a lot easier to turn it by pushing on the outer edge compared to if you pushed it near the center.

Sorry for the topic drift but I am curious to know if you had any plans to start offering carbon wheels with wider cross sections (25mm-27mm)?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

coachboyd
in the industry

by coachboyd

All I can say is that we are working on a lot of things for 2013 and what ever we may or may not be releasing will be coming out around the new year.
http://www.boydcycling.com The Handcrafted Revolution

CarlTroy

by CarlTroy

I'll be getting a pair of Boyd tubulars one of these days, that's for sure!
38mm or 50mm, stealth decals..mm

too crusty

by too crusty

I got a set of the Boyd 50mm clinchers with the extra spoke count. Really nice set of wheels, spin well and are running true as the first day I got them. Boyd's customer service is exceptional. Can't say anything about Zipp's since I've never delt with them but I can say this: Boyd's are way cheaper! :D

Roasty

by Roasty

thanks for the reply guys. i posted this message whilst waiting for Boyd to email me back (time difference halfway round the world) and just wanted a heads up before i attempted to stuff lube into the hub.

by the way, the wheels look great! front and rear spin true. and they feel like a very solid wheelset. have yet to glue on some tires (first set of tubulars.. will get someone who knows what they're doing to help out). probably over the weekend then..

hoggy

by hoggy

i was also very concerned when i got my 38mm clinchers about how they spun when i took them out of the box, but i can confirm after 1 ride they spun up great (in my hand and on the bike) and ive been happy since.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Elpimpo

by Elpimpo

Ive been hearing nothing but good things about these from all over the place.
These are actually on my short list of wheels i will be choosing as my "new" set in a few months.

Now got promoted to 3rd on the list(3rd to smart 3.4 & 303 FC respectivley)

And the price is so damned attractive.
i'd rather be out $900 than $2300 should the worst occur.