Looking for Feedback on on ENVE 3.4's

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

beardking

by beardking

This forum seems to be split quite equally between peoples with nice bikes who race and peoples with nice bikes who do coffee shop runs, sportives, club rides, whatever....
Either is fine by me but obviously the needs of the bikes and the equipment might differ. I'm after the fastest wheels possible but obviously that will change with the course and conditions. So I'm just trying to weigh up 40ish mm wheels against 50ish mm wheels. Don't think I'd want to go deeper then that because of cross winds and hills

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

upside

by upside

You should take a look at the new Bontrager D'3's, those are f_ _ _king fast. :-D

natiedean24

by natiedean24

Arky wrote:Not sure what spoke tension has to do with wheel stiffness (see young's modulus).

Enlighten us, please. I'm ready to learn.

turbocarr

by turbocarr

Mario Jr. wrote:The braking is totally a mystery for me, too. I have had most carbon wheels at some point, and the Smart wheels are the best braking carbon wheels I've tried. Also noticeably better than the "old" ENVE rims.

As for the stiffness, it's surely the DT hubs that's to blame. I have two sets of Smart wheels. One on DT, one on Chris King hubs. The latter being a lot stiffer.

The aero test is a puzzle to me. The Campy Eurus scoring better that most wheels in the entire test - really? :roll:

Gerting ready top make the leap on either a set of 3.4's or 6.7's. Just trying to decide on the hubs. I have a set of 65's with DT's. I love the wheels. Nice and stiff. The rear hub is noisy though. Nature of the beast. Based on your commenti may go to CK's. Anyone else with experience btwn the two?

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Campy or Shimano? If Shimano, I would wait until King come out with their new drive shell and axle, if you are considering 11 speed next year.

refthimos

by refthimos

Had a pair of Enve 25s on Alchemy hubs. Awesome.
Have a pair of Enve 6.7s on DT 240s hubs. I think they would be more awesome on Alchemy hubs.
Have a pair of Enve 3.4s ordered - this time made the right choice and went with the Alchemy hubs.

Don't sleep on the Alchemy hubs - they're too notch stuff.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

keebo

by keebo

BrianAllan wrote:Hi, I haven't been able to find any solid reviews on the Enve 3.4's tubular or otherwise. So, looking for some reviews/feedback from weight weenies members.

Considering a build on Tune Mig/Mag 70/170 which should get the weight around ~1200g. These would be my race wheels, and as such, I'm looking for something that climbs really well, and is reasonably aero. I've been using a pair of 1.65's for several seasons, and have been happy with how light (~1250g) and stiff they are.

Also interested in hearing how people think they compair to wheels in their class - 303 firecrest, Stinger 4's, etc..

Hi I have the 3.4's, tubs, (Vredestein Fortezza Pro TriComp)
with Chris King R45 hubs with Sapim CX Ray spokes, dura ace
cassette. I bought of eBay for £1625 second hand but never
had tubs fitted never been riden,
I use them as my race wheels 23 road races this season veteran & BC
no crits my weight is 81kgs, rode in wet, hard rain 2.5 hrs, rough roads,
I have had no problems at all, I rode over pot holes some of which I wished
I haddn't have but when your in the pack that's the way it is, there always
seem to be strong cross winds when your racing, the 3.4's are excellent in
gusty cross winds,
Regarding aero I seem to be coasting more than others around me
Braking in we is as good as everyone else even ally rims, raced down
a few fast bumpy wet decents 50 mph you know what I mean can't see
for the rain 10 mph faster than you realy want to go that how it is.
I'm confident with these wheels, done some hill climbs they arnt as stiff
as Lightweight Carbonsports ive checked but you can repare them you
self best result 2nd LVRC 50-54 yrs National Road Race 2012.
Specialized S-Works SL3 Team Geo Super Light
Enve 3.4 tubular, 7800 SRM, 7800 group, 7900
front mech

beatnik

by beatnik

Best rims in the market, with 240 or ck r45 and sapims cx and be sure u can't buy anything better
Biomechanical spreadsheet. Sizing&Fitting.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 8e319d185b

Lawfarm

by Lawfarm

beatnik wrote:Best rims in the market, with 240 or ck r45 and sapims cx and be sure u can't buy anything better

Agreed.

Especially since I have DT240 hubs and Cx-Ray spokes.

:lol:

wangsanegara

by wangsanegara

Hi,

I have experience in using Zipp 303 (2010), Enve 3.4, and Mavic Cosmic Carbonne Ultimate. All 3 wheelsets were used on my Giant TCR and periodically on the same route. All using the same tires, Continental Competition

According to my opinion, First mention being the best:
Stiffness: Enve, Mavic, Zipp
Ride Compliace: Zipp, Mavic, Enve
Acceleration: Enve, Mavic, Zipp
Climbing: Difficult to say, all feel the same at 10% Gradient
Braking (Dry): Enve, Mavic, Zipp
Braking (Wet): Enve, Zipp, Mavic
Cross Wind: Zipp, Enve, Mavic

Another point is that Zipp requires truing once in a while, usually after riding on rough asphalt. My personal preference would be Enve, Zipp, then Mavic. Its not that Mavic is the worst performer, its just so expensive that I did not want to use them as my daily wheelset.

A.W

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

Mario Jr. wrote:The braking is totally a mystery for me, too. I have had most carbon wheels at some point, and the Smart wheels are the best braking carbon wheels I've tried. Also noticeably better than the "old" ENVE rims.

As for the stiffness, it's surely the DT hubs that's to blame. I have two sets of Smart wheels. One on DT, one on Chris King hubs. The latter being a lot stiffer.

The aero test is a puzzle to me. The Campy Eurus scoring better that most wheels in the entire test - really? :roll:

Agreed on the braking. The Enve SES 3.4 and 6.7 was perhaps the best carbon braking I have experianced.

Having done a lot of miles on the 3.4 and 303 I can say with confidence the 3.4 has a more solid feel than the 303. It's stiffer as far as I can tell. Also like the fact you can custom build the front 2x is you like with the DT Swiss hub or the CK.

Another pretty option on the 3.4 is building with the new DT Straight pull 240 or even the new 350 if you are on a budget.

Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

milroy

by milroy

Building thousand dollar rims to budget hubs makes no sense to me.

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

Pics of my most recent built. Image

Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

upside

by upside

Niiiiiiice and a lot of class.

fiti

by fiti

Hi,

Is the braking with ENVE 3.4 really that much different (better) in comparison with other carbon wheels?
fiti

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com