Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About
It is currently Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:37 am
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED
- Avatars cannot be uploaded ✔ FIXED

Please note that we will soon do some changes in WW board template design in case to get a fully mobile/desktop responsiveness board!
If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:44 am 

Just a heads up on these. Decent tire but be advised that they are manufactured with a harder center tread compound for longer wear. Problem is it is quite slippery on wet surfaces. I was losing rear tire traction climbing on wet tarmac. I had to really smooth out my power output and drop a gear to keep the tire from slipping. True it was steep but not more then 12 - 15 percent. Would not want to test the braking limits of these tires on a wet surface. My comparison tires in terms of traction are Continental GP 4000 and GP 4000 4 Season and I have never had a traction issue with either of those under even nastier conditions. To add insult to injury I punctured the rear toward the sidewall so the sealant didn't do it's job. Messy tube installation and once home no way to repair because I can find the hole which must be tiny.

Anybody tried the new Schwalbe One Tubeless - they come in 28mm. They weigh a ton but I hear good things. Or should I just forget the tubeless thing and get some Challenge Strada Bianchi 30mm. Or maybe just buy more GP 4 Seasons. This is for a winter trainer application.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:19 am 

I have Schwalbe One 25mm - in comparison to GP4000s2 : zero flats , more supple, feels bit faster ( not scientific ) , more safe on wet... generally impression is like ONE is better version of Conti. But still far behind Vittoria Evo CX ( comfort , traction, speed , NOT lifespan ). Plus it looks like ONE doesn't wear at all...

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:33 pm 

Go with IRC pro light. They feel better than veloflex carbon tubbies IMHO.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:24 pm 
in the industry

IRC tubeless i what I have bought for the shop now. I will start using them myself too. The schwables are too expensive in the U.K and while the are comfortable and grip well I do suffer from punctures with them a fair bit. The Schwables are fine but the IRC tyres seem to be better at least that what a few U.K testers have found.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:48 pm 

I gave up on my tubeless Ones. Way too many punctures and most were just chipseal cuts. Not one sealed in what I would consider a satisfactory manner. Maybe it was the sealants fault too but I tried more than a few types. Still the punctures weren't good. Had better luck with the tube'd Ones but found them slippery compared to Conti 4000 and got a nice scratch on my brake lever when they just slipped out from under me on a very slow turn going up a hill. Unimpressed with the Schwalbe tires, they were very comfy though...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:21 pm 

IRC sounds interesting but no bigger than 25 mm. Too bad.

Not looking to save a few dollars (tires would be the last place I would compromise). Disappointed to hear about cuts, punctures, and failure to seal in the new Schwalbe One tubeless. I guess if you want top traction you have to give up something on the durability of the compound.

Crap, I think I am going back to inner tubes until the industry advances a bit further.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:28 am 

BTW: Orange Seal seems to be the new sealant of choice. I have had it seal up punctures in Schwalbe Ones.

Also, IRC's 25 mm measure at 27mm on Stan's 340 rims.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:30 am 

rmerka wrote:
I gave up on my tubeless Ones. Way too many punctures and most were just chipseal cuts. Not one sealed in what I would consider a satisfactory manner. Maybe it was the sealants fault too but I tried more than a few types. Still the punctures weren't good. Had better luck with the tube'd Ones but found them slippery compared to Conti 4000 and got a nice scratch on my brake lever when they just slipped out from under me on a very slow turn going up a hill. Unimpressed with the Schwalbe tires, they were very comfy though...

Pretty much my exact experience. 3 punctures in 1000 miles, none sealed, all small glass cuts. If Vittoria's new offerings are decent I may give tubeless another shot, but it's hard to beat a standard clincher + latex setup for performance/durability/convenience.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:27 pm 

BeeSeeBee wrote:
rmerka wrote:

Pretty much my exact experience. 3 punctures in 1000 miles, none sealed, all small glass cuts. If Vittoria's new offerings are decent I may give tubeless another shot, but it's hard to beat a standard clincher + latex setup for performance/durability/convenience.

I guess we're all in the same boat. I switched back to standard clinchers on all but my off-road bikes (CX and mountain).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:36 pm 

I've some Atom's knocking around and concur about the compound. Don't know how it compares to the Sector but it's hard and drags noticeably, very narrow for it's size too. Didn't like them at all but have used them as a last resort spare.

The One tubeless is night and day better, gripper in both wet and dry and rolling resistance feels better to me than anything else I've ridden. Rode them all last winter and they're as good as any, probably better than most in terms of puncture resistance and wear, particularly for a more performance oriented tyre. Be careful with clearance though if you're coming from Hutchinson, 25 Hutch are no bigger than 23 One's, no experience of the larger tyres.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:33 am 

The new Schwalbe Pro One tubeless should be available in a few weeks. The specs and preliminary all seem quite promising. Lighter, Lowe rolling resistance, and more supple.