Tune Mag 170 feedback

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thprice

by thprice

To help with maintenance, you can download Tune 170 Manual and an expanded view of the hub.
http://www.tune.de/produkt/felgenbremsnaben/mag170 download the zip file from Anleitung / Instructions
In German and English

Razor

by Razor

After taking the Mag 170 to the shop and had them re-lube it (recommend by FB (Fairwheel Bikes) to do since they come from the factory under-lubed), the creaking noise went away for a few days but sporadically returned. Swapped out skewers, lubed drop outs, check chainring bolts etc and still, it will creak after about 20 minutes of riding. Called up FB, they want me to send it back. This is my 3rd problematic Tune hub (Mag 180, Mag 170 2x). I'll just have to wait to see what exactly they say the problem is as they have told me they have not seen any problems with this hub. I may just have to go DT if this hub is not fixable or "fixed" and then craps out on me again. :x

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Hey,

Has anyone remedied this issue with their 170?

I have experienced this on 3 separate 170s now, and it is starting to get ridiculous.

I have tried what I consider to be everything, to sort this and the sound comes back randomly.

Razor

by Razor

I posted in the other thread about Broken Tune Flange, my creaking went way on its own but yes, the frustration of having to deal with it in the first place from a new hub was definitely there.

LeviR

by LeviR

My Tune mag 170 rear hub on Enve 3.4 is knocking. I hear that knocking sound when under load (sprinting or climbing with some efforts). I will be uploading a short video.
Last edited by LeviR on Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeviR

by LeviR

Here is a very short video showing the knocking sound of my rear hub. You will hear it right at the beginning of the short video starting from 00:01, 00:02.

Here is the same short video from youtube.

https://youtu.be/ZDRKO6-HSh4

keefzip

by keefzip

My Mag 170 in my Dash wheels is doing just that (although not as loud). Dash think it might need another spacing shim to take up the lateral play at the bearing.

LionelB

by LionelB

My 170 problems were all resolved the day I sold this POS.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

LionelB wrote:My 170 problems were all resolved the day I sold this POS.

Same here
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

continuum

by continuum

Is the pink color discontinued, they are out of stock everywhere

DutchMountains

by DutchMountains

Resurrecting this thread :-)

As I am contemplating building a new set of wheels for audax the Tune Mag170 seems to have a lot going for it:
  • rim-brake version available in 135mm, with geometry that gives 75% tension at the NDS
  • light at ~ 180 grams
  • not outrageously expensive at ~ 250 euro retail
It's not the easiest in maintenance, but I can live with that if it's only needed every 12 months / 10 000km. Noise of a freewheel is not an issue either.

But what about the creaking reported earlier in this thread? Is this inherently in the design or a QA issue? Or to put it differently, has anyone bought and ridden one of these in the past year? Anything else to report on after long-time usage?

beeatnik

by beeatnik

5 years, approximately 7000 miles. Had one major issue on a forest road. I lost engagement on a climb and had to roll (not coast) down about half a mile to sag. The wheel was built by Fairwheel so sent it back and apparently a pawl had shifted out of place. They regreased and all was well.

Last year I had the bearings replaced. And so far so good, as I've never had any creaking or even preload issues.

Here's the maintenance info, I received from Fairwheel after they serviced the hub:

Yes it's pretty simple to take care of and I recommend doing it once a year even if there is no noise.

Pull off the drive side end cap. Remove the freehub body. Clean the body, pawls and drive ring and relube them using a thin grease, I like slickhoney or Extralite Alugrease. Then reassemble. Once you've done it a few times it goes really quick. I'd say it usually takes me less than 5 minutes.

defride

by defride

Had mine a couple of years or so and must have put at least a couple of thousand miles on, probably more, in all weathers. No problems thus far

montee

by montee

Digging up this old thread... Is there a known solution for a clicking and creaking Mag170?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com