Tune Mag 170 feedback

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

metanoize

by metanoize

I have ridden a rear wheel nemesis/mag 170 for 3100 miles so far, many times in the rain and flooded roads, no creaking here! Please keep us posted on how this gets resolved.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Razor

by Razor

metanoize wrote:I have ridden a rear wheel nemesis/mag 170 for 3100 miles so far, many times in the rain and flooded roads, no creaking here! Please keep us posted on how this gets resolved.

Contacted FWB, they said they have not had any issues with the 170 hub. They asked me to send it back to them to take a look at it, so off it will go...hopefully for the one and only time :roll: .

LionelB

by LionelB

Razor wrote:
metanoize wrote:I have ridden a rear wheel nemesis/mag 170 for 3100 miles so far, many times in the rain and flooded roads, no creaking here! Please keep us posted on how this gets resolved.

Contacted FWB, they said they have not had any issues with the 170 hub. They asked me to send it back to them to take a look at it, so off it will go...hopefully for the one and only time :roll: .

First ride on my new 170 yesterday and.... it creaked..... Unreal. Hopefully it is the QR or something.... New ride today.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I have a set of Enve Wheels with Tune 70/170 hubs. I have used them for more than 1000 miles. Not a single peep from them. Wish I could say that about my BB30 components.

LionelB

by LionelB

Today's ride was quiet.... fingers crossed.

Razor

by Razor

Razor wrote:

FWB got the wheel. Here is the process they went through to identify the problem:

They mounted a tire and cassette and rode it, the sound I described was there.

So, they started with other options and checked the valve, spoke crosses and spoke heads to make sure none of them were the culprit. Which they weren’t. The hub was opened and they found that it was a little bit dry; it didn’t have enough lube from the factory. They also found that it was MISSING a micro spacer which is used to adjust preload.

It was then cleaned, lubed and the micro spacer installed. They test rode it again and it was quiet. They assumed that the missing spacer which is 0.15mm thick was allowing the freehub body to move ever so slightly and cause the noise.

Someone was asleep at the wheel when they built the hub, missing a spacer and very little lube? :roll: FWB was very fast with the repair and their communication was excellent, not their fault that someone at Tune had a brain freeze during the assembly.

Well, I hope it is trouble free from now on. I should get the wheel back in a couple of days, I'll put some miles on it and report back.

tuba

by tuba

I think it is fixed now? I did some maintenance on the hub previously and mixed up the end cap washers. (my digital calipers broke)
I have always had to put 4 washers in to get the right preload and put a .18 mm instead of a .11 mm as the 4th washer.
I have only 1 ride on the wheel, but it was quiet. :thumbup:

Cento

by Cento

how's the hub perform now after the repair?

Razor wrote:
Razor wrote:

FWB got the wheel. Here is the process they went through to identify the problem:

They mounted a tire and cassette and rode it, the sound I described was there.

So, they started with other options and checked the valve, spoke crosses and spoke heads to make sure none of them were the culprit. Which they weren’t. The hub was opened and they found that it was a little bit dry; it didn’t have enough lube from the factory. They also found that it was MISSING a micro spacer which is used to adjust preload.

It was then cleaned, lubed and the micro spacer installed. They test rode it again and it was quiet. They assumed that the missing spacer which is 0.15mm thick was allowing the freehub body to move ever so slightly and cause the noise.

Someone was asleep at the wheel when they built the hub, missing a spacer and very little lube? :roll: FWB was very fast with the repair and their communication was excellent, not their fault that someone at Tune had a brain freeze during the assembly.

Well, I hope it is trouble free from now on. I should get the wheel back in a couple of days, I'll put some miles on it and report back.

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

I have a set of wheels where I have the 170 as rear hub. It has started creaking quite bad lately. Been reading that lubing the freehub could resolve a lot of the creaking, but how do I do that? Do I just take the body off, and grease the inside??
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Yes it's pretty simple to take care of and I recommend doing it once a year even if there is no noise.

Pull off the drive side end cap. Remove the freehub body. Clean the body, pawls and drive ring and relube them using a thin grease, I like slickhoney or Extralite Alugrease. Then reassemble. Once you've done it a few times it goes really quick. I'd say it usually takes me less than 5 minutes.

Turbopowr

by Turbopowr

One more Tune Mag 170 owner here. Everything that madcow said and yes, very easy to clean and lube. No special tools needed.
Hector Cabrera
Orlando, FL
2011 Spec Tarmac Pro DA

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Had a chance to hold one in my hand at my favorite shop yesterday. It was a full wheel build. While I didn't ride them, just handling and rotation the 170, I was struck by how light weight it was. The freehub almost had a fragile feel to it. Like they were designed right on the edge from a strength of materials perspective. Wouldn't think they would be a sprinters first choice.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I run a set of Tune 170/70 on a 56mm chinese aero tubular wheels.

Haven't had any issues so far...maybe 800 miles on them so far.

Also have not taken the end cap off yet and looked at the hub.

Only annoyances are the very loud free hub/pawl sound upon coasting, and friction of the pawls themselves. If you just push your bike along not sitting on it, the cranks spin forward, and it pretty much will do that always until you get on the bike and put your body weight on it and feet on the cranks to stop that behavior.

While coasting, seems like these things are sucking some 100g of drag...which if you are slowing and engine braking like a semi truck...great, but for bikes, and trying to recover/coasting during training/racing...seems like the drag is costing me precious cardio/rest...haha...

Otherwise, they have been good hubs so far. Looking forward to taking the end cap off and checking the inside out and see the condition of the freehub when time comes.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I run a 70/170 combo on my Enve 3.4s and I am very pleased with them. I'm not sure why you are experiencing any drag with the free hub, however, I would recommend checking the shims that go between the end cap and free hub body, or do as madcow suggests and apply some slick honey to the pawls. My wheels roll smoothly and do not turn the cranks when rolling it around, nor do they feel like they cost me any time of efficiency with respect to drag. If you don't mind the freehub sound, it is hard to go wrong with this hub in my opinion.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Razor

by Razor

My two month old Mag 170 is starting to get the dreaded clunk/creak aaaargh. Lubed the skewers, tightened them down more then a day later, the sound returns. I know that sound well, this is my 2nd hub ( first one was a Mag 180 that received the Tune XO bearing "fix" that didn't work).