Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:54 pm
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED
- Avatars cannot be uploaded ✔ FIXED

Please note that we will soon do some changes in WW board template design in case to get a fully mobile/desktop responsiveness board!
If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062


All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:40 pm
Posts: 373
I'm on the verge of buying a set of HED Jet 4+ or Jet 4 blacks. How does these wheels hold up? Anything comparable with alloy brake tracks (besides shimano C50)?
Does the black wear off from the Jet 4 blacks? They seem to be lighter and HED claims they brake better so I'd consider paying the extra if they stay black.

All experiences are welcomed.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm
Posts: 561
If you want aluminum brake track, HED is the ticket but they are heavy! There's nothing else on the market with such wide rim profile. If you end up getting it, I recommend "stallion" build 20/28 spokes even if you are a light rider.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.


Top
   
Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:49 am 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:40 pm
Posts: 373
mpulsiv wrote:
If you want aluminum brake track, HED is the ticket but they are heavy! There's nothing else on the market with such wide rim profile. If you end up getting it, I recommend "stallion" build 20/28 spokes even if you are a light rider.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Uh. Why would you recommend the stallion version over the normal? History of easily breaking spokes? Flexing?

Well, I think heavy is quite relative. The Jet 4+'s weight is around 1,650g while the zipp 303 firecrest is 1,625g. If you look at wheels in the 45-55mm category you will see that even full carbon clincher wheels either weigh very close to the HEDs or cost much-much more than them (zipp nsw / enve 4.5). I wasn't able to find any alloy/carbon wheel that comes even close to the weight of the HEDs.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm
Posts: 561
nemeseri wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:
If you want aluminum brake track, HED is the ticket but they are heavy! There's nothing else on the market with such wide rim profile. If you end up getting it, I recommend "stallion" build 20/28 spokes even if you are a light rider.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Uh. Why would you recommend the stallion version over the normal? History of easily breaking spokes? Flexing?

Well, I think heavy is quite relative. The Jet 4+'s weight is around 1,650g while the zipp 303 firecrest is 1,625g. If you look at wheels in the 45-55mm category you will see that even full carbon clincher wheels either weigh very close to the HEDs or cost much-much more than them (zipp nsw / enve 4.5). I wasn't able to find any alloy/carbon wheel that comes even close to the weight of the HEDs.


Do you understand the benefits of more spokes? Extra ~30 grams penalty = strength, longevity and stiffer wheels.
HED Jet 4+ are heavier in contrast to fine wheels like Boyd 44mm (~1475 grams) and FLO 45 (~1460 grams). If you are set on aluminum brake track then HED Jet 4+ is the ideal choice.
www.boydcycling.com/2016-44mm-clincher-rear-wheel
www.flocycling.com/wheels_rear_flo_45_cc.php

_________________
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:40 pm
Posts: 373
mpulsiv wrote:
nemeseri wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:
If you want aluminum brake track, HED is the ticket but they are heavy! There's nothing else on the market with such wide rim profile. If you end up getting it, I recommend "stallion" build 20/28 spokes even if you are a light rider.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Uh. Why would you recommend the stallion version over the normal? History of easily breaking spokes? Flexing?

Well, I think heavy is quite relative. The Jet 4+'s weight is around 1,650g while the zipp 303 firecrest is 1,625g. If you look at wheels in the 45-55mm category you will see that even full carbon clincher wheels either weigh very close to the HEDs or cost much-much more than them (zipp nsw / enve 4.5). I wasn't able to find any alloy/carbon wheel that comes even close to the weight of the HEDs.


Do you understand the benefits of more spokes? Extra ~30 grams penalty = strength, longevity and stiffer wheels.
HED Jet 4+ are heavier in contrast to fine wheels like Boyd 44mm (~1475 grams) and FLO 45 (~1460 grams). If you are set on aluminum brake track then HED Jet 4+ is the ideal choice.
http://www.boydcycling.com/2016-44mm-cl ... rear-wheel
http://www.flocycling.com/wheels_rear_flo_45_cc.php


Thanks for the links. Indeed these are very comparable in depth and price! Still, I will probably stick with the alloy brake tracks for now and experiment with carbon as a next step..

I get the benefits of the added spokes, but in the past 3 years I've never broken a spoke nor I needed to true any of my wheels. So I hope the HEDs will hold up well in my case.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:09 pm
Posts: 770
Location: Loveland, CO
The latest carbon brake tracks are almost as good as the alloy version in the dry. And melting carbon clinchers are a thing in the past. Read the latest Tour reviews on carbon clinchers. IMHO alloy brake track is no longer a good option unless price is a concern.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:40 pm
Posts: 373
pdlpsher1 wrote:
The latest carbon brake tracks are almost as good as the alloy version in the dry. And melting carbon clinchers are a thing in the past. Read the latest Tour reviews on carbon clinchers. IMHO alloy brake track is no longer a good option unless price is a concern.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


My training and riding involves fogy, misty conditions, wet roads during early mornings even without any rain. And my plan is to ride these as much as possible and not saving them for just the sunny days. So as a pre-caution I thought alloy-carbon might worth the 150-200g extra. What's your opinion on this? Would it be better to go full carbon?

If I can deal with the crosswind and use these wheels as much as I think, I will probably try to upgrade to tubulars and go full carbon obviously.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm
Posts: 561
nemeseri wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:
The latest carbon brake tracks are almost as good as the alloy version in the dry. And melting carbon clinchers are a thing in the past. Read the latest Tour reviews on carbon clinchers. IMHO alloy brake track is no longer a good option unless price is a concern.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


My training and riding involves fogy, misty conditions, wet roads during early mornings even without any rain. And my plan is to ride these as much as possible and not saving them for just the sunny days. So as a pre-caution I thought alloy-carbon might worth the 150-200g extra. What's your opinion on this? Would it be better to go full carbon?

If I can deal with the crosswind and use these wheels as much as I think, I will probably try to upgrade to tubulars and go full carbon obviously.


You will be just fine with carbon brake tracks :)
If your budget is $1500+ Boyd 44mm are phenomenal wheels!

Image

_________________
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:52 am
Posts: 30
I've been riding a set of Jet 4+ wheels on one bike for a bit more than a year. I generally like them and really like the extra width. Most carbon clinchers are barely 19mm internal; the Plus wheels are 21mm. 25mm tires on these wheels are positively luxurious. I've ridden in some fairly awful conditions and have no degradation of the color on the brake track. Braking is quite good in both wet and dry. The wheels have remained true and seem to have good spoke tension. The hubs and bearings are still in good shape.

Things to consider:

- They can be twitchy in high wind. There were some worst-case days this spring (gusty 25mph crosswind, 40 mph downhill) where there was way too much steering input for my taste. They seem to have more sensitivity than a 404.
- Because the carbon is a faring, you can't clamp them on a roof rack.
- Because of the faring, you can't run them tubeless. The Hed guys suggest that many of the benefits of tubeless are moot for wider tires on 25mm rims.
- Clearance can be tight on some frames
- Internal nipples

I like them enough that I'd buy a set of the Jet 6+ wheels for fast days. Coincidentally, tomorrow I should be receiving a set of Ardennes Black wheels for another bike. I'll swap these two wheel sets between all the road bikes.

I'm happy to chat about them.


Top
   
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:06 am 


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Garmin 2S experiences?

in Road

Shrike

5

457

Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:33 pm

Shrike View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Going from -6deg to -17 experiences?

in Road

Shrike

9

762

Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:12 pm

eric View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Look Keo Blade 1 experiences

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Road

havana

18

1065

Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:21 pm

stk57 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. BBinfinite experiences (with Campagnolo Ultra-Torque)?

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 ]

in Road

colster

32

1768

Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:17 am

arizonahalfnhalf View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Deda Superleggero RS Seatpost reviews/experiences?

in Road

Shrike

7

1163

Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:00 pm

Shrike View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], KCookie, Yahoo [Bot] and 34 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited