New build coming up...looking for ideas.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

inertianinja

by inertianinja

I have a Pelizzoli steel frame being made out of Columbus Spirit. It won't be the lightest thing in the world, but I'd like to keep the weight down. I have some choices to make - fork, cockpit, wheels, everything. The group will probably be '12 SRAM Red. Other than that, I'm thinking about putting together a component set that's cohesive (all 3T or all ENVE, for example), but that's not a dealbreaker.

For wheels, I currently alternate between Soul S2.0SL and Soul C5.0 - Great weight for the price, i haven't been thrilled with the serviceability of the S2.0 and the C5.0's brake tracks squeal no matter what pad i use. I would prefer something with an aluminum brake track, light, and with parts that a local shop might have or be able to order. The 3T Accelero is interesting, but claimed weight is over 500g more than my Soul's.

I'm all over the place. Any ideas?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shinyboy

by shinyboy

Tubs or clinchers?

inertianinja

by inertianinja

shinyboy wrote:Tubs or clinchers?

Clinchers...and I would like to try this wider rim thing.

spacepolice2

by spacepolice2

I've found Ritchey's WCS carbon stuff to be reasonably priced for light weight, quality is good, and they don't go too overboard on decals. The shapes are conservative looking too (not like, say, an Easton EC90SL stem), which will hopefully fit with the aesthetic of your frame style. I have a 2002 Litespeed Tuscany with all Ritchey WCS carbon bits (stem, handlebars, seatpost, headset) and it comes together really nicely.

That being said, I'm also building up a Giant TCR Advanced SL at the moment, and that's going to be a complete frankenstein of bits :wink:

ldamelio

by ldamelio

Look at the 23 mm clinchers from Boyd (Vitesse) or Revolution Wheelworks (Rev 20x) - I have the latter on my cross bike and am very happy with them - great quality, survived a brutal race season laser true. I think these two builders are very similar in terms of materials used. Boyd has gotten nice write-ups. Rev is local to me and I've met the owner who is an area masters racer. They were great to deal with. There's a recent thread here about availability of the rims alone to consumers if you want to build your own. Rev will also upgrade you to White Industries hubs if you wish.

http://www.boydcycling.com/vitesse-alloy-clincher/
http://revolutionwheelworks.blogspot.com/

Sounds like you're building a great bike. Don't Fred it up (and weigh it down) with carbon clinchers with an alloy brake track !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

inertianinja

by inertianinja

ldamelio wrote:Sounds like you're building a great bike. Don't Fred it up (and weigh it down) with carbon clinchers with an alloy brake track !

definitely. my goal is to keep this light and well-mannered

i looked at the Industry Nine website - well-priced light wheels with good reviews, but i read a lot of complaints about their hubs being nearly unserviceable due to nonstandard parts. That's a dealbreaker for me - that's the only reason why i wouldn't get another set of Souls.