Wheelsets with Black Brake Tracks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

donham1

by donham1

What clincher, non-carbon wheelsets are available with a black brake track other than Mavic's overpriced Exalith-equipped wheels? I have a set of Ksyrium SL's now and love them, but I will not pay $1500+ for a new set with the all black look. I have seen some wheelsets built up with a black anodized rim from Weinmann, but have heard that they are quite heavy.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it using search.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DMF

by DMF

Plain black anodization will wear down to a 'worn out'-look silver/black blend in an instant. You need to have ceramic or exilith rim walls for the permanent black look... neither comes cheap. Most cerami rims are about twice the price of their all-aluminum counterparts.

Just anodized black is NOT the way to go unless you intend to ride brakeless.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

You can try to get Mavic Open Pro Ceramic rims. The are/were available in 32h and 36h and have a very solid reputation, albeit not superlight. They are not quite as slick as the new Exalites, and might have been discontinued in 2012, but leftover stock seems to be available here and there.

donham1

by donham1

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into the Mavic Ceramics. Anyone know of a bang-up deal on a set of Exalith-equipped Mavics?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

donham1 wrote:What clincher, non-carbon wheelsets are available with a black brake track other than Mavic's overpriced Exalith-equipped wheels? I have a set of Ksyrium SL's now and love them, but I will not pay $1500+ for a new set with the all black look. I have seen some wheelsets built up with a black anodized rim from Weinmann, but have heard that they are quite heavy.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it using search.
The problem you'll have is that any alloy rim that has an all black finish will deteriorate as soon as you apply the brakes. Ceramics will last better than any but the newer rims have a tendency to chip more easily than the originals. Exalith is a totally different treatment and is far far more durable than the ceramics with a more positive braking feel that lasts. It is not a purely cosmetic treatment. The reason for the cost is partly due to the fact that the rims are made in France, transported to the UK for the Exalith treatment and then shipped back to France to be built into wheels. All the other finishes Mavic has been able to do in house.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

The wear on the exalting seems to be very good... Way better than any other black out and better than the ceramics...

LardLover

by LardLover

The new Open Pro CD rims have a dark braking surface, like the Exalith surface?

Schnice :cool:

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

@donham1

Something to consider is that Mavic have an offer on at the moment for their MP3 plan. It's essentially a 2 yr warranty and costs $1. It's discussed in this thread. Check out the post by MavicZack -

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=100672&start=15

sungod

by sungod

afaik mavic cd is hard anodising, whereas exalith is mavic marketing speak for keronite's process which grows a ceramic layer from the metal's surface

according to keronite...

Keronite ceramics can include up to ~80% of extremely hard crystalline phases such as corundum (which is the basis of the mineral sapphire).

Hardness's of over 2000 HV0.1 can therefore be achieved, although this will depend on the substrate and the coating variant - more typically, hardness's of ~1600 HV0.1 are achieved on aluminium.

This is far harder than hard anodising, or even common wear counterparts such as hard steels, glass and sand.

donham1

by donham1

If I went with a set of Mavic Open Pro Rims, what hub and spoke choices would I want? I am, of course, concerned with weight, + I don't think I would like the look of 32 spokes. Any other manufacturer out there with a process similar to Exalith?

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

donham1 wrote:If I went with a set of Mavic Open Pro Rims, what hub and spoke choices would I want? I am, of course, concerned with weight, + I don't think I would like the look of 32 spokes. Any other manufacturer out there with a process similar to Exalith?

Not that I am aware......for hubs you could go with Tune or White Industries. Sapim CX-Ray or Lazer spokes.......

I rather like the look of 32 spoke wheels if they are on a round tubed frame.......just my opinion though.

:beerchug:

tylerwal

by tylerwal

H+ Son SL42's have a black brake track

donham1

by donham1

Update- the search is over! I found a set of Ksyrium SLR's with <200 miles for $1,169. This is the set I wanted, but wasn't willing to pay $1,800 for them. If anyone is interested, I will post pics of them on my matte black S-works once mounted.

Thanks for everyone's help!

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

donham1 wrote:Update- the search is over! I found a set of Ksyrium SLR's with <200 miles for $1,169. This is the set I wanted, but wasn't willing to pay $1,800 for them. If anyone is interested, I will post pics of them on my matte black S-works once mounted.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Introduction thread!! :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

donham1

by donham1

I am posting an introduction, but apparently, I need 10 posts to show pictures, so here is my 10th!