Questions re Ambrosio Crono build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

007dwb

by 007dwb

Hi all,

I am considering the following build for a reasonable "climbing" wheel. This seems to be a popular build on this site, but I would like comments on the build with respect to my weight and durability for the occasional ride on city streets. Currently, I'm on Bontrager Race-Lite clinchers (no problems whatsoever after ~2500 miles). Looking for something lighter, but also stiff (I think). btw, this would be my first attempt at a build.

Wt. - 175lbs. (spin more than mash)
Ambrosio Crono-28f/32r (Ive seen both Crono and CronoF20, difference?)
DT Swiss 240 hubs
Sapim CX-RAY (2 cross front, 2 cross/3 cross rear)

DT spoke suggestions? other crossings? durability of tune hubs vs DT Swisst?

any comments are appreciated, thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

butted spoke

by butted spoke

There's some info in this thread if you haven't seen it.
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... =crono+f20
I can't comment on durability yet as I've done less than 100 miles on them so far. They built up very well with the components and cross patterns mentioned. Spoke lengths were spot on ( thanks divve and bikemessenger).
The wheels are very light, just over 1300g and feel very solid. Infact, the ride is rather harsh compared to what I am used to, but this is probably because of the smaller air pocket of the Conti Sprinter 22mm tubs compared to my regular GP3000 clinchers.
I can't see the advantage of CXrays on this build. It's not an aero wheel and the DT Revs are just as light and stiff as the CX rays at a third of the price. IMO they also look better on a classic build like this.
I was tempted by the DT hubs, they look good quality and they seem to be held in high esteem on this site, but in the end the lower weight won the day.
Spoke lengths may change slightly for the DT hubs, check out the Spocalc spreadsheet referenced in the above thread.
The Crono F20 seems to be the rim available now - note the slightly different ERD from the Crono.
I'm about 160 lbs kitted out. I'm confident that this build is strong enough for me.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Go for DT. Revs on front and off-side rear, Competition on drive-side. Tied and soldered for rigidity. Built last October for Lombardy. Commuted on for most of this summer!! Cx Rays are too springy and cost way too much. Either way you'll have a pair of wheels that are in Hyperon weight territory, but with proper brakes!
Attachments
IMGP0749resize.jpg
IMGP0750resize.jpg

butted spoke

by butted spoke

That's a nice leather sofa, DFS or Ikea? How much does it weigh?

By the way, what size are those Tufos and how do they ride?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

butted spoke wrote:That's a nice leather sofa, DFS or Ikea? How much does it weigh?

By the way, what size are those Tufos and how do they ride?

Neither - www.Littlebookoffurniture.com

Haven't found a set of scales accurate enough!

Tufos are Hi Composite Carbons 22mm. Perfect for the odd London commute, as well as descending Italian mountain roads!