HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:15 pm 

Hi,

I have a Scott cr1, sram red rear derailleur, zipp 404 (188 hub) and shimano ultegra cassette (12-25). The cassette has the spacer that came with the cassette from Shimano installed.

My problem is that the delimiter screw for the largest sprocket (lowest gear being 25) isn't long enough to stop the derailleur from going into the spokes. I'm testing this with no chain installed. And on the smallest sprocket (highest gear 11) the delimiter screw isn't "needed" since the derailleur can't get that far back so the cage is aligned on top of the sprocket. I'm no mechanic but this seems a tad weird. If I remove the small spacer to slightly move the whole cassette inwards I won't be able to use the lowest gear, because then the derailleur will hit the spokes for sure. But I guess it will be possible to align the derailleur over the smallest cog.

So what does one do? :noidea:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:57 pm 

You should be able to get a longer limit screw from your lbs.

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:57 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:06 am 
Shop Owner

something else is going on. my guess is your hanger or the rear derailleur itself is bent. there is no good reason this would not work within the normal adjustment ranges.
take pics, lotsa good pics!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:01 pm 

thisisatest wrote:
something else is going on. my guess is your hanger or the rear derailleur itself is bent. there is no good reason this would not work within the normal adjustment ranges.
take pics, lotsa good pics!

Thanks for that suggestion, I never thought of that the hanger itself could be bent. The frame is rather "old" and I suppose It have had some dings over the years falling over on that side and what not. The sad part is that the hanger itself isn't removable on this frame (incentive to start saving up for a new frame perhaps?), But I used a pair of pliers on the hanger itself and an allen key whiles the the rear derailleur was mounted and did some straightening. And well I don't know if it's perfect but it's much better. Though the low gear adjustment torqued down still allows the der. to come pretty darn near the spokes. Will do some searching if there are any bike shop around that can help me with some proper tools and knowledge to check the hanger and the derailleur.