New Madone for the Tour?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Timo

by Timo

Also, after a flat tire and a wheel change it is common practise for a rider to manually adjust his rear brake to the new rim (especially if the wheel comes from the neutral car). Impossible to do this with the new Madone.
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

I'd say its aero is probably in the realm of the Scott Foil (slightly better due to integrated brakes), but not the Venge and almost certainly not the S5. Once again, made a decision to get an all rounder rather than a full on aero road bike

by Weenie

KWalker

by KWalker

Fugly
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

em3

by em3

VNTech

by VNTech

em3 wrote:http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/06/bikes-and-tech/spotted-all-new-trek-madone-7_222357" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As promised :)

Looks pretty good in person, actually. I like the brake integration, and Shimano's version of the dual-bolt, dual-pivot setup looks pretty good. The guys seemed happy with them, and a quick squeeze of the brake lever (they would let me do no more) resulted in a firm response, no mushy nastiness as found on many similarly-placed TT brakes.
Last edited by VNTech on Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

boots2000

by boots2000

So this is an addition? anyone know if they are keeping the 6.9 in the lineup as is?

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Frame looks cool. Seat stays without the brake bridge look interesting. Wonder if that changes ride quality and power transfer?

Dislike the flow from the HT to the fork though. Disjointed.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

Spanielsson

by Spanielsson

jmilliron wrote:Frame looks cool. Seat stays without the brake bridge look interesting. Wonder if that changes ride quality and power transfer?

You would imagine the lack of a brake bridge/mount would improve ride quality.

For the first time in a while I'm interested in trying both the Domane & the new Madone...

kgt

by kgt

the fork-headtube junction looks so bad...

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

justkeepedaling wrote:I'd say its aero is probably in the realm of the Scott Foil (slightly better due to integrated brakes), but not the Venge and almost certainly not the S5. Once again, made a decision to get an all rounder rather than a full on aero road bike

They probably just realize that for a road bike "aero" is just a steaming pile of marketing garbage...... :noidea:

Geoff

by Geoff

Maybe it's just me, but that is the first Madone that I have found interesting...

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

btompkins0112 wrote:
justkeepedaling wrote:I'd say its aero is probably in the realm of the Scott Foil (slightly better due to integrated brakes), but not the Venge and almost certainly not the S5. Once again, made a decision to get an all rounder rather than a full on aero road bike

They probably just realize that for a road bike "aero" is just a steaming pile of marketing garbage...... :noidea:

Or maybe they realize what it is, but figure the pros prefer something more all rounded...

djconnel

by djconnel

I like it, although I do wonder about the issues with the rear bike placement.

I am a big fan of the "pay a bit of attention to aero" approach. Aero is hardly an all-or-nothing deal, as if when it's not the dominant factor it's trivial.

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

Seems like a brake mounted under the BB would be a nightmare in sloppy conditions. Won't it pick up more mud, etc. there? I also wonder how the lack of a brake bridge between the rear seat stays affects frame rigidity, especially when sprinting - flexing the frame from side to side.

+1 on the ugly headtube shape...
Wilier Cento1 SR
13.10 lbs (5.95 kgs) w/Enve 3.4-Tune 70/170 & Conti Competitions tubulars
12.53 lbs (5.68 kgs) w/FarSports 24-Extralite & Vittoria CX EVO II tubulars

by Weenie

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

The Domane is the bike for "sloppy" conditions, so that left the Madone for the nicer parcours.