Different front and rear tires ?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Pepijn2010

by Pepijn2010

Does it make sense to put to ultremo zlx (160 grams) on the front wheel and the ultremo zx (200 grams) on the rear wheel. Since the ultremo zlx weights less, but as you have a higher chance of getting a flat tire, I was thinking of using it only for my front wheel and a heavier, but safer one for my rear wheel.

Any thoughts ?

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Continental Attack/Force.....Mavic Griplink/Powerlink..... :thumbup:

by Weenie

Pepijn2010

by Pepijn2010

Thx ! Although the weights of these tires are above 200 grams a piece ... The ultremo zlx is down to 160 grams ...

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Using a more fragile tire on the front is a good idea but you might choose one that still has a puncture belt e.g. Conti Attack, Conti GPTT, Veloflex Corsa etc. have thinner rubber and roll faster. IMHO if you choose no puncture protection at all you'll quickly piss yourself off standing at the roadside.

sungod

by sungod

Pepijn2010 wrote:Does it make sense to put to ultremo zlx (160 grams) on the front wheel and the ultremo zx (200 grams) on the rear wheel. Since the ultremo zlx weights less, but as you have a higher chance of getting a flat tire, I was thinking of using it only for my front wheel and a heavier, but safer one for my rear wheel.

Any thoughts ?

safe is what you want for the front tyre, rear flats are much less likely to cause an off

but rear tyres wear faster, going light there is more an issue of how often you will have to replace the tyre

if you just are riding on clean circuits a light front tyre is ok, but on normal roads with glass/other sharp stuff, i'd stick with something near 200g - if you really do want light, i think conti supersonics are lighter than the zlx

Murphs

by Murphs

I prefer same tyres front and rear so I can 'rotate' them for maximum lifespan.

ticou

by ticou

Chaps, why are we seeing pros getting almost constant wheel changes for punctures on the smoothest and most benign road surfaces? Because their running conti supersonics and ultremo zlx's. All the top pro bike shops don't stock them or sell them for this very reason-Avoid!

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

ticou wrote:Chaps, why are we seeing pros getting almost constant wheel changes for punctures on the smoothest and most benign road surfaces? Because their running conti supersonics and ultremo zlx's. All the top pro bike shops don't stock them or sell them for this very reason-Avoid!
The number of teams using supersonics is probably virtually zero. As for the Schwalbe teams, I doubt any are racing on Ultremos as they almost exclusively use Tubs which according to their manufacturer offer better grip & puncture resistance with a minuscule weight penalty.

The reason for the punctures on seemingly benign road surfaces is that they are racing on public roads so the roads can't be cleared all debris.

As for the reason pro shops don't stock Supersonics or Ultremo ZLX's, same reason as above plus they're a PIA when customers assume that they're ok to commute on!

madmole

by madmole

I run supersonics on my road bike and mountain bike. Not had a puncture in 2 years (well of course I will now). I actually believe the thinner more flexible tube prevents punctures, and 50g at the rim is a noticable drop in weight. but i run with conti GP4000S/4 Seasons on roads and Panaracer Cinders on MTB, both are pretty good when it comes to punctures

Supersonics <> punctures. However they will find ANY weak spots in your rim tape (I use veloplugs)
Cervelo S3 2011. Blinged 6.718 Kg

Murphs

by Murphs

They are referring to the Supersonic tyres, not the tubes.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

You could try the GP4000S on the rear and the NEW GP4000 RS for the front.

It supposedly weighs 175g according to Continental. 'Marginally lower puncture protection ... ' :noidea:

Pepijn2010

by Pepijn2010

Tried to find the NEW Conti 4000 RS ... but couldn't get any results (in The Netherlands) - only the 2009 model ...

leooooo

by leooooo

In the end, you will be better served by running the same tire and rotate when necessary, IME.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Nah...Just ride backwards. :lol:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Pepijn2010

by Pepijn2010

:-)