Lightweight standard brake surface problem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cycloholic

by Cycloholic

Hi ,

Its two years now i have bought a problematic set of lightweight standard 3.
The problem is that in some spots of the brake surface ,the brake has more power and in some other spots the brake is weaker.
This has a result to block the wheel suddenly and of course it can cause an accident.

I have contact LW support and they told me to send the wheels back to them.
When the wheel set arrived back to me ,the front wheel was fixed and works 100% but the back wheel is still having the same issue.
I contact the LW support again and they told me to send the wheels again back to them...
They actually send me a mail before sending them back to me.
"we found all the problems that you mean. we will repair as soon as possible"
and
"The wheel shipped in very good condition from our company.
It was repaired and shipped correctly.
The wheels are handmade.
We can not do better, which was completely repaired well."

And again when the wheels arrived back to me from the second time ,the brake surface of the back wheel still having issues....
So in conclusion ,i have pay 3000 euros and i got a wheelset that i can't ride...

Anyone got the same problem with that wheels?
I have attached a picture ,is the point that brakes stronger ,the mark you see is from the brake pads.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wshiong

by wshiong

3000 euro you probally can another set of wheel.

did you highlight to them the particular uneven area ?
Passoni Mirror

Passoni Xxti

sedluk

by sedluk

After many thousands of miles, all of my lightweight wheels will have the subtle rub marks like I think you are talking about. It looks to me like the spoke causes the rim to bow a tiny amount. On the brake track at every spoke there will be a rub mark on alternating sides of the rim. The spokes pulling the rim in opposite directions.

The rub marks are a very subtle cosmetic thing and I have never noticed any problems with my braking. I use cork pads and have never noticed any pulsing in the brakes. The braking in the rain is subpar, but that is what you would expect with cork pads.

So basically I think all of the lightweight wheels will look like that after a while. It takes the right light to even see the rub mark so I do not have an issue with it.

Cycloholic

by Cycloholic

wshiong wrote:3000 euro you probally can another set of wheel.

did you highlight to them the particular uneven area ?

The fact that i love the sport and i collect 3000 euros with many difficulties that i only know, for a wheel doesn't mean that i'm rich and i can pay again and again.

Cycloholic

by Cycloholic

sedluk wrote:After many thousands of miles, all of my lightweight wheels will have the subtle rub marks like I think you are talking about. It looks to me like the spoke causes the rim to bow a tiny amount. On the brake track at every spoke there will be a rub mark on alternating sides of the rim. The spokes pulling the rim in opposite directions.

The rub marks are a very subtle cosmetic thing and I have never noticed any problems with my braking. I use cork pads and have never noticed any pulsing in the brakes. The braking in the rain is subpar, but that is what you would expect with cork pads.

So basically I think all of the lightweight wheels will look like that after a while. It takes the right light to even see the rub mark so I do not have an issue with it.

Look ,except from the normal marks that has the entire wheel ,the fact is that in the whole wheel it doesn't leave so intense mark but in the specific spot that has the problem with the brake the mark is more intense.
Btw i used the original lightweight brake pads as they lw support told me.

Lig

by Lig

Hi Cycloholic,

I use and have used quite a few carbon wheels. I currently ride a set of lightweights and Boras but have also had some Zipps and Hyperons.

In all cases I have found there to be areas where the brake block material builds up on the rim. I think this is when the block starts to get hot and deposits on the rim – I thought this was normal and I haven’t noticed it causing a braking issue.

Are you saying that when you run your finger over the braking surface you can feel that it is much more raised in parts?? i.e without the residue on there – kind of like a ‘bulge’?

I have found that in some cases I need to clean the residue off the braking surface, either scratching it off with my nail or using a very light abrasive pad.

I have used my Lightweights coming down Ventoux (always with the LW pads) to great effect. I have also used them in torrential rain again working just fine.

Can you get a better pic up of the actual area as the one you have just looks like brake residue on the surface.

It could also be your braking technique - as it really help to feather the braking with carbon pads i.e short sharp bursts and not dragging the brakes.... - But not trying to tell you how to suck eggs!!!

Cheers,
Lig.

Cycloholic

by Cycloholic

Lig wrote:Hi Cycloholic,

I use and have used quite a few carbon wheels. I currently ride a set of lightweights and Boras but have also had some Zipps and Hyperons.

In all cases I have found there to be areas where the brake block material builds up on the rim. I think this is when the block starts to get hot and deposits on the rim – I thought this was normal and I haven’t noticed it causing a braking issue.

Are you saying that when you run your finger over the braking surface you can feel that it is much more raised in parts?? i.e without the residue on there – kind of like a ‘bulge’?

I have found that in some cases I need to clean the residue off the braking surface, either scratching it off with my nail or using a very light abrasive pad.

I have used my Lightweights coming down Ventoux (always with the LW pads) to great effect. I have also used them in torrential rain again working just fine.

Can you get a better pic up of the actual area as the one you have just looks like brake residue on the surface.

It could also be your braking technique - as it really help to feather the braking with carbon pads i.e short sharp bursts and not dragging the brakes.... - But not trying to tell you how to suck eggs!!!

Cheers,
Lig.

Hi there ,
its not my braking technique ,I'm riding for 15 years now and i have used a couple of wheel sets. Actually the same problem was at the front wheel and now it is resolved. The back wheel still has this problem. When i push the brakes my bike is like moving front and back cause the rim has a spot that when the brake pad passes from there it has more friction so it brakes harder there. So if i ride when raining the wheel is easy to block when the brake pad catch that spot.
This spot for a reason has a higher friction so its normal to have more brakepad marks than the rest of the braking surface.
The thing is that they have fixed the front wheel (has the same exactly problem) but they can't fix the rear one.
If you see me descending a hill you will be lough ,i'm like i'm pressing the brakes the one sec for 50% and the other second for 100% and then again 50% ,and actually I'm pressing the brakes continuously with the same power...

Steve_W

by Steve_W

I had this problem with the Swiss stop pads, changed to the softer cork pads, no issues.

Steve

Cycloholic

by Cycloholic

Really?? I will try them asap!

Steve_W

by Steve_W

Yes.... The Swiss top pads are a quite hard compound causing them to grab on uneven braking surfaces. Cork pads are softer which helps with this problem.....my lightweight g1 had the exact same problem as yours.
Let me know how you get on.

Steve

Cycloholic

by Cycloholic

Great to hear some good news Steve! I will get a pair today probably but its rainy hear ,so i hope ill test them tomorrow!! Thanks a lot Steve!

Lig

by Lig

That does sound odd cycloholic, kind of like a buckled wheel?!

Lets hope the cork pads solve the problem (even though you shouldnt need to change pads)...

Have you used a new set of LW pads to see if it is the particular set you are using??

Fingers crossed for a result...
Lig.

Cycloholic

by Cycloholic

Lig wrote:Have you used a new set of LW pads to see if it is the particular set you are using??
Lig.

Yes lig actually i have changed three original LW pads.
The first time was when i first purchase the wheels.
The second time was after i get the wheels back from the first repair.(The front wheel fixed)
The third time was after i get the wheels back from the second repair.
Actually i have never used another kind of pads except their own LW pads.

BTW here is some of their replies when i was trying to explain that the wheel still has the problem and that only the front wheel has been fixed:

"First of all, we have both wheels repaired and not just the front wheel.
The rear wheel was in very good condition as we sent it to you.
We have the repair and the output values ​​listed.
We can always find what we have repaired and how it was dispatched.
Martin Kiechle"

"again, we have the wheel repaired and tested, and it was in a good condition.
We have here the deposited !!!!
Martin Kiechle"

"sorry, I do not understand your anger.
We have repaired your wheel and it is in good condition has been shipped.
Martin Kiechle"

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I swear, those replies are very similar to the ones I get from Mercedes Benz Engineers. The customer has a problem and they say that the problem is repaired. I tell them the customer still has the problem and they reply, "I do not understand, the problem is fixed. We have documentation that supports that". It's not fixed until the customer says so or answer is given that explains why it is happening.

I had an issue with Powertap, after several attempts, I received a new hub. OK now.

Good Luck.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

artray

by artray

Spend 3000 euros on some wheels and you get such a poor service. If you say your wheels are broke, then you opinion should be respected. I bet not one of the wheel builder's put your wheels on a bike and rode them. Hope it works out ok