Tubeless taping with Gorilla tape for the road

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hotshod

by hotshod

I have taped up a few sets of road wheels , using Stan's , using 3M Filament cross weave tape, using VeloFuze, and the mighty Gorilla tape.

By far the most successful is Stan's or Gorilla.

My question is when using Gorilla tape if you overlap at the valve hole by 100-150mm can you do it with only a single layer. ? ? ? ?

Stan's needs the double layer for the road , and I have done Gorilla as a double layer ( starting opposite the valve hole, you don't need 3 layers at the valve hole when doing double wrap)...... But using the 2 layers of Gorilla felt like overkill and a bit weighty.

I like using the Gorilla because it goes on so well and beds in with no air bubbles that can a nuisance with Stan's.

Your thoughts ...!!!
All this from an old bloke who wishes he was faster and could climb better...... enjoy the ride!

tetonrider

by tetonrider

hotshod wrote:My question is when using Gorilla tape if you overlap at the valve hole by 100-150mm can you do it with only a single layer. ? ? ? ?

Your thoughts ...!!!

I've used Gorilla tape for tubeless in MTB applications--single layer. I use a very slight overlap (<100mm), along with a Stan's valve stem.

Of course, tire pressures are much lower so I am not sure if there is something about the higher pressure you use for a road application that would cause it to fail.

Seems to me that a seal is a seal, and a 2nd (or 3rd) layer of tape is just bonding to itself, not improving the bond with the rim.

Let us know what you experience. Good luck!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

The extra layers are not to have extra bonding, it is to cope with the higher pressures.
I have used Gorilla tape for road tubeless only a couple times, and it was mainly because I needed a little extra height and cushion to get the tire inflated easier. So I went around twice as well. But my guess is that one would suffice. If I was on the fence about it, I would put one layer of thin fiber strapping tape down first.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

I used a single layer of gorilla tape for Mtb wheels. Start on one side of the valve hole and stop on the other. I did not do any overlap.
That tape is pretty thick. Not sure if 2layers are needed or if the additional layer would make mounting a tire difficult.

hotshod

by hotshod

I still need a bit of help with this setup

I'm experimenting by taping up with just one layer and inserting a tube then adding 150-170psi.
This is designed to test the tape above the spoke holes.

Twice when using VeloFuze tape I did this and put 110psi to help the tape bed in..... It split over the spoke holes, so I consider this a valid test.
The tube can apply enough pressure to slice around the spoke holes and thus test the strength.

Though I tend to think in a tubeless environment the pressure would not be as localised around the holes and only inflated to 80-110psi max would also place less stress on the tape.

My caution for using 1 layer is because I'm doing this for other people and want avoid any dramas.

What do you think ?????
Still waiting for a roadie who has used one layer to chip in!!!!

thanks
All this from an old bloke who wishes he was faster and could climb better...... enjoy the ride!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Best reason to not use Gorilla tape is that it's heavy. I suspect one layer is enough, because it is a very tough and bulky tape.
formerly rruff...