Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:13 am
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED
- Avatars cannot be uploaded ✔ FIXED

Please note that we will soon do some changes in WW board template design in case to get a fully mobile/desktop responsiveness board!
If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062


All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:54 pm
Posts: 454
Location: London
Hey all,

After testing sr11 ti and di2 and much thought, I've decided to go with di2 on my dogma. I have the DA chainset, chain and cassette already - not that it was a driving incentive, but helps with the price (brings it to about a 40£ difference)

Despite the fact that I'm confident it will be set up as symmetric and neat as possible, there still is the issue of a 'messy' external look. Moreover, the redundant cable stops on either side.

I've spent about 6 months on this frame and absolutely love it, which is a topic on its own, however I feel in about a year I will go for a di2 specific frame (given that all works out well with di2). Parlee z1 or z5sl, look 695, c59 are on a short list.

The part where I need help is, is it a wise decision to retro fit the frame to internally route the di2 (with the battery hidden in seatpost). I know Calfee in California is an option but being located in the UK, I can also send it over to the Calfee in Germany. Retrofitting is slightly more expensive but the shipping is considerably lower. With shipping and retrofitting, I would be looking at £700. Of course this will void the warranty and limit the second hand sale to di2/campy eps users.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

John


Last edited by canbakay on Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Calfee Di2 Retrofit
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 1285
Location: NorCal
Why don't you just do it yourself? Making a custom battery is very easy - almost too easy. If going internal is what you are most interested in then you will just need to talk to other people who have a frame similar to yours. On my Cervelo I just called Cervelo customer service and they told me where to drill the frame (I only needed to drill one hole). Of course I hacked my external wiring harness and made it internal, but I should have just used an internal harness.

If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself and are willing to pay top dollar, then have Calfee do it. They do great work.

_________________
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Calfee Di2 Retrofit
Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:59 am 


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Calfee Di2 Retrofit
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:54 pm
Posts: 454
Location: London
While I would love(!) to do it, id be scared to do it on my primary bike. The battery does look simple as I saw in other ww projects. Indeed it is a lot of money...


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Calfee Di2 Retrofit
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 6:31 am
Posts: 76
There is a topic somewhere where madcow used Icarus Di2 batteries on his Crumpton.The batteries are installed in the seatpost. You just need some soldering skills to do this job.

_________________
Cervelo R2.5
Cervelo P2c
Cervelo R3
Parlee Z3
Parlee TT


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:41 pm
Posts: 763
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
but calfee reinforce the frame where they drill the holes, right?

not al manifactures tell there customers where it´s safe to drill :D


Last edited by JensW on Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:43 am
Posts: 3424
Location: Hilly, Hot, and Windy
I've done 5 bikes for customers this season with the retrofit. I'll tell you, it's damn near one of the cleanest setups I've seen. They cut off the cable stops, reinforce the holes, repaint the thing where the stops were, modify the wiring harness, and send a new battery and charger. Hell of a deal considering you can turn any frame in to Di2 and not have to wait 6 months (Pinarello). If you follow them on Facebook, they just posted pics of the Ultegra D12 conversion and statedthey are working on the Campy one. Painless process and good people that do a great job.

Starnut

_________________
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:54 pm
Posts: 454
Location: London
Thanks for the replies - but despite being mechanically competent, I will not be drilling holes etc myself (not on this frame at least).

For the time being, I will use it externally and towards the spring will re-asses. Perhaps until then I can find a location that offers the service in the UK (not that shipping to germany is a hassle nor it is expensive).

A drawback of buying now and retrofitting later is the external cable set & battery & charger becomes useless thus £200 in the bin.

Even writing this makes me swing back and forth...wellll, maybe ill send it now and have it nicely for Christmas :)


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:53 am
Posts: 259
seriously it is dead easy....

search my posts


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:09 pm
Posts: 919
There is a buy on eBay who sells an inside seatpost battery and internal wiring kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Dura-Ac ... 45feb751bd

Maybe that will work for you?


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:02 am
Posts: 18
I’m the guy selling the battery in the seat post on eBay. What seems easy to one is not so easy to all. That’s why I started selling the wiring kit(s) on eBay. For some people just being able to buy a package that is plug-and-play is the easiest way to go. I started looking on the same forums, for the same information I see here, and after a year, and doing > 20 frames, both Di2 specific, and non Di2, I would say now it’s easy, but not in the beginning. I first looked at the Calfee retrofit, but after some research I decided to do it myself. Calfee does a great job, and if you want a bike that has had holes > ½ inch drilled, and cutouts the size of a fist drilled in the downtube, and a harness installed in the frame that cant be removed... and if you have an extra $700 plus shipping, than send that bike frame to them. They will get it back to you in 4-6 weeks. Yes they do a wonderful job of patching the big holes they make, and make it almost unnoticeable, if you don’t look too close. If you have a Di2 specific frame it’s realy easy to get rid of the ugly battery, and put it in the seat post, all you need is an internal harness and a battery that will fit in the post. I also just noticed that Glorycycles is selling a Calfee Enve Seatpost 27.2 with Di2 Battery, only $399!!. If anyone is interested in doing a frame that is a non Di2 frame or a Di2 frame, message me and I would be glad to help you drill that puppy and put the battery in the seat post. If you live in So Cal you could bring it to me and have it done in a < a week.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:56 pm
Posts: 1227
Location: Canada
di2diy wrote:
I’m the guy selling the battery in the seat post on eBay. What seems easy to one is not so easy to all. That’s why I started selling the wiring kit(s) on eBay. For some people just being able to buy a package that is plug-and-play is the easiest way to go. I started looking on the same forums, for the same information I see here, and after a year, and doing > 20 frames, both Di2 specific, and non Di2, I would say now it’s easy, but not in the beginning. I first looked at the Calfee retrofit, but after some research I decided to do it myself. Calfee does a great job, and if you want a bike that has had holes > ½ inch drilled, and cutouts the size of a fist drilled in the downtube, and a harness installed in the frame that cant be removed... and if you have an extra $700 plus shipping, than send that bike frame to them. They will get it back to you in 4-6 weeks. Yes they do a wonderful job of patching the big holes they make, and make it almost unnoticeable, if you don’t look too close. If you have a Di2 specific frame it’s realy easy to get rid of the ugly battery, and put it in the seat post, all you need is an internal harness and a battery that will fit in the post. I also just noticed that Glorycycles is selling a Calfee Enve Seatpost 27.2 with Di2 Battery, only $399!!. If anyone is interested in doing a frame that is a non Di2 frame or a Di2 frame, message me and I would be glad to help you drill that puppy and put the battery in the seat post. If you live in So Cal you could bring it to me and have it done in a < a week.


Just ordered this, and will report back when I get them installed. Ordered two medium size from "di2diy" for my Cervelo R3 and my friends Look 595. Both bikes have been internalized (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=86592#p752149), and the last step was moving the batteries inside.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:56 pm
Posts: 1227
Location: Canada
goodboyr wrote:
di2diy wrote:
I’m the guy selling the battery in the seat post on eBay. What seems easy to one is not so easy to all. That’s why I started selling the wiring kit(s) on eBay. For some people just being able to buy a package that is plug-and-play is the easiest way to go. I started looking on the same forums, for the same information I see here, and after a year, and doing > 20 frames, both Di2 specific, and non Di2, I would say now it’s easy, but not in the beginning. I first looked at the Calfee retrofit, but after some research I decided to do it myself. Calfee does a great job, and if you want a bike that has had holes > ½ inch drilled, and cutouts the size of a fist drilled in the downtube, and a harness installed in the frame that cant be removed... and if you have an extra $700 plus shipping, than send that bike frame to them. They will get it back to you in 4-6 weeks. Yes they do a wonderful job of patching the big holes they make, and make it almost unnoticeable, if you don’t look too close. If you have a Di2 specific frame it’s realy easy to get rid of the ugly battery, and put it in the seat post, all you need is an internal harness and a battery that will fit in the post. I also just noticed that Glorycycles is selling a Calfee Enve Seatpost 27.2 with Di2 Battery, only $399!!. If anyone is interested in doing a frame that is a non Di2 frame or a Di2 frame, message me and I would be glad to help you drill that puppy and put the battery in the seat post. If you live in So Cal you could bring it to me and have it done in a < a week.


Just ordered this, and will report back when I get them installed. Ordered two medium size from "di2diy" for my Cervelo R3 and my friends Look 595. Both bikes have been internalized (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=86592#p752149), and the last step was moving the batteries inside.


Ok. After a slight delay due to the wonders of the postal system in two countries, they arrived. I've done the install on my R3 (the Look is next week). Batteries and cable harness are very nicely finished with proper terminations, heat shrink, etc. Battery has a long zip tie securely attached so that you can pull the battery out of the frame easily when its time to recharge. Nice length on the harness, made it easy to fish back through the frame and connect. He even gives you the right heat shrink (glue filled) to make the connection to the internal harness waterproof. Batteries came fully charged, and the charger is a proper cell balancing charger (very important for two cell Lipo's). So, in summary, a very nice and much cheaper solution than the Calfee. I highly recommend this.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:56 pm
Posts: 1227
Location: Canada
Update: Diydi2 now ships a retrofit pcb and charger for the internal battery (or he will sell you the battery with the pcb as well). With this add on, you no longer need to remove the battery from the seat tube to recharge. Similar to the Calfee design, you plug the charger (which comes with a nicely finished di2 connector) into the harness at either the front or rear derailleur. It took me 30 seconds to install the pcb, and everything charged as advertised. The pcb provides overcurrent protection, charge balancing, etc. This is a fantastic system at a great price. Highly recommended!


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:41 am
Posts: 1703
I'm pretty sure Calfee are now starting to do Di2 battery setups in handlebars now...


Attachments:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334108847.394651.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334108847.394651.jpg [ 2.85 KiB | Viewed 3487 times ]

_________________
"It never gets easier, you just go faster..." - Greg Lemond

"I enjoy climbing...I enjoy seeing people disappear behind me." - Robert Millar
Top
   
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:49 am 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:02 am
Posts: 18
Wingnut wrote:
I'm pretty sure Calfee are now starting to do Di2 battery setups in handlebars now...

Ok, I'll bite... why? How does it connect to the harness?


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Di2 TT retrofit - where to start?

in Road

OhPinchy

4

438

Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:13 pm

OhPinchy View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. CeramicSpeed BB - really worth it?

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 4 ]

in Road

addictR1

47

4940

Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:51 pm

Rick View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Mercury wheelset, anyone using it? Worth keeping?

in Road

depressedfish

2

513

Tue May 24, 2016 2:08 pm

2lo8 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. cannondale six13 2 carbon tubes worth

in Road

jobvisser

6

733

Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:03 pm

polaris View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Worth Upgrading LW OBERMAYER GEN III (16/20) to LW MILEINSTEIN SCHWARZ?

in Road

leej88

8

620

Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:31 am

cyclespeed View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bluechip, evan326, Fiery, Yahoo [Bot] and 24 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited