Tubular vs. Clincher (Tire Flats)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sawyer

by sawyer

It's more than just pinch flats. Tubs are I'd suggest less likely to flat on installation. Yes it's less of a problem as you're not on the road, and there are some ways of mitigating it, but I'm sure a fair number of us have, with particularly tight tyre/tube combinations, punctured the odd inner tube. You'd have to really be going nuts though to flat a tub while mounting.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sgray

by sgray

gitsome wrote:My tubulars flat 5x more than my clinchers over the exact same roads on exact same days, no matter what everyone here says tubulars are very thin-skinned and fragile, nice to ride but extremely prone to puncture. Clinchers are far more durable, thick skinned and puncture resistant not to mention cheaper to repair. And I ride in a "clean" mostly glass-free park, tubs flat about once/2 months, clinchers almost never.

bring on the hate... but its true over 2 years now consistently

You only ever ride the same park? Doesn't that get a bit repetitive :wink:

bones

by bones

Tubulars are for the rich and famous. And it is an urban myth that clinchers are more prone to pinch flats than tubulars.

apLe

by apLe

Why you say so? I'm not rich and I think that it's good to experience everything. I bought my Sprinters for less than gp4000s tires and I'm really happy with them. Lots of tubulars users here, some of them have never flat one for years. If I flat one, well, I replace it, pump it and ride the hell out of it again!
18' R5 coming soon...

gitsome

by gitsome

sgray wrote:
gitsome wrote:My tubulars flat 5x more than my clinchers over the exact same roads on exact same days, no matter what everyone here says tubulars are very thin-skinned and fragile, nice to ride but extremely prone to puncture. Clinchers are far more durable, thick skinned and puncture resistant not to mention cheaper to repair. And I ride in a "clean" mostly glass-free park, tubs flat about once/2 months, clinchers almost never.

bring on the hate... but its true over 2 years now consistently

You only ever ride the same park? Doesn't that get a bit repetitive :wink:

LOL,. repetitive, what do you mean? LOl, reptitive, what do you mean? Lol, repetitive, what do you mean? Lol, repetitive, what do you mean?
Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh?
What? What? What?What?What?What?
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

bones wrote:Tubulars are for the rich and famous. And it is an urban myth that clinchers are more prone to pinch flats than tubulars.

Thank you.

Ciao, ;) :lol:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

krusty

by krusty

sawyer wrote:You'd have to really be going nuts though to flat a tub while mounting.

Pre-stretching them improperly is frequently a cause of damage that can cause failure later on, sometimes in short order, such as failure of base tape. I love tubulars. I also love the convenience of clinchers. I have heard the old adage repeated many times that "90% of flats occur in the last 10% of a tire's life". How to determine when that 10% is approaching is beyond me. Generally, if I can see wear on my tire, I replace it. They're (sort of) cheap. I always replace tubes at the same time, and use sealant (I know, I know, not WW). Something must be working in my favor. I haven't flatted since 1978.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

It is an urban myth that it is an urban myth that clinchers are more prone to pinch flats than tubulars.

notsoswift

by notsoswift

Lars Boom
Cobbles
50 kph
60 psi

Try that with a tubed clincher

roca rule

by roca rule

at those presures the tire might survive, but the rims and tubes will be trashed. on the other hand try inflating a clincher at above 160 psi and say good bye to your rims and tubes. i also hold the firm belief that at the same pressure a tube gives a more compliant ride and it would be due to the rim shape.

sawyer

by sawyer

HammerTime2 wrote:It is an urban myth that it is an urban myth that clinchers are more prone to pinch flats than tubulars.

It's also well known of course that it's an urban myth that it's an urban myth that it's an urban myth that it's an urban myth.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup: