Light Saddle to alleviate NNS?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

denzity

by denzity

I'm looking for a relatively lightweight saddle to alleviate my numb nuts syndrome (NNS).

I currently ride a Selle Italia SL (no hole) which would be fairly comfortable if it wasn't for the burning pain in my crotch. I also have a 110g Charbon (Chinese CF) race saddle which gives me the same problem.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Denz

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

denzity wrote:I currently ride a Selle Italia SL (no hole) which would be fairly comfortable if it wasn't for the burning pain in my crotch.
Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Denz

Uh... maybe others have some suggestions, but I think ultimately you're just going to have to figure this one out for yourself. The irony of your statement above did provide me a good chuckle, however. So thanks for that.

Good luck... the perfect saddle can be quite a quest sometimes.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I was using a Fizik Arione, and experiencing a similar feeling. I switched to an Anteres Versus and the relief channel has helped. @ 214g it's a bit chubby, but I would rather be able to feel my kibble and bit's after a ride.
:beerchug:

swinter

by swinter

I've had very good experiences with the Selle San Marco Aspide over the years (though one of the models had a flatter shape and didn't work as well as previous and subsequent models). I still use my oldest Aspide when I travel without my bike and ride a rental. You might check out the current Aspide Superleggera for a WW saddle (claimed 105 g) with what looks like a good shape.

But the best by far is their SMP saddle. I thought the ergo claims were a lot of hype until I talked to some riders who had them. It's pricey, but it's the best saddle I've ever ridden. I picked up the Full Carbon model (135 g) from The Pro Stuff. You can see it on my bike if you click the link below. (They come in different widths. I think I have the narrowest one.)

Ultimately, it's an issue of fit and it varies from person to person.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

Westifer12

by Westifer12

denzity wrote:Any suggestions?

That's a personal quest my friend...
2011 Trek Paragon 29er | Reba XX 120mm Fork | XX Drivetrain | 160mm White/Carbon Exiler CR Brakes | Thomson 90mm Stem & Post | Easton Monkey Lite Bar | X.9 Hubs to DT Swiss X470's | Schwalbe Rocket Rons

robertg

by robertg

I have been very happy with both my Specialized Toupe and Romin. Both have cutouts and are quite comfy. I have the Toupe Pro in a 143 width and it weighed in at 136 grams.

fa63

by fa63

I have had good luck with Specialized Toupe and Romin. Both should come in at less than 200g if you go with the carbon-railed versions.

fa63

by fa63

robertg - We must have been typing the same recommendation simultanously :)

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Yup as pointed out ... it really is a personal thing.

Everyone as slightly different needs and preferences for a ride, so it really is best to try out with your riding buddies help to see if you really fit a particular saddle. Or rather if it fits you.

If you have friends with spare saddles lying around, check with them to borrow it for a ride that last at least an hour. Many saddles can feel really good for that first 10 minutes but rapidly degenerate into a real pain after about 30-45 mins of hard riding ...

Hence, if you can, borrow or 'rent' from your friends their spare/favourite saddles to try.

Personally, my favourite saddle to date is the Prologo Scratch Nack. No hot spots, no numbness even on 2~3 hour rides. And its a decent 166gm weighed. :thumbup:

swinter

by swinter

the prologo c.one nack looks really sweet, if it works for you.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

tommasini

by tommasini

No one right answer

I've ridden for 30+ years so know when to embrace a great saddle or not. So after a lot of expermentation I settled on SI SLR kit carbonio flow with cutout. I have one on each of my 4 bikes. And it's LIGHT!

shotgun

by shotgun

As stated above that it's a case to case basis to solve NNS. I currently use Toupe on 2 bikes and an Adamo Race on another. NNS symptoms are gone!

Just to share the other saddles I've tried: WTB Silverado (close but no cigar), others with no luck were Fizik Arione CX, Selle Italia SL w/ Hole, Selle Marco Ponza
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

TiDude

by TiDude

Selle SMP Pro. Not lightweight but it will keep you riding....and pissing!

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Calnago wrote:
denzity wrote:I currently ride a Selle Italia SL (no hole) which would be fairly comfortable if it wasn't for the burning pain in my crotch.
Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Denz

Uh... maybe others have some suggestions, but I think ultimately you're just going to have to figure this one out for yourself. The irony of your statement above did provide me a good chuckle, however. So thanks for that.

Good luck... the perfect saddle can be quite a quest sometimes.

Twill just turn in to a name your saddle thread...

The only way to give you anything at all is for you to tell us what saddle shape has worked very well in the past...

Mr. A

by Mr. A

I've had a Fizik Arione, Fizik Alliante, Selle Italia SLR: they all gave me the numb nuts syndrome. At least if you mean your perineum is getting really painful after riding.

My holy grail: the specialized Toupe. I've picked the 143mm because it gives me a bit more support, which is better for my sitting bones. Also tried the Romin, which is not too different compared to the Toupé, but i loved the latter better. On my MTB i ride a Phenom 143 which also NNS-free. Look for a specialized dealer and ask for a test saddle: the cheapest way to find out if you like them.

I've also tried a SMP (don't know the model) on one of these bike test days and the feeling is very comparable to the Toupé. However, I found them much harder and thus painful for my sitting bones.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com