Help: What kind of Loctite thread lock should I purchase?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Liggero

by Liggero

Hello,

I recently received a new titanium spindles for my Speedplay Zero pedals. I bought the spindles from an asian seller at ebay. The brand of the spindles is of course not speedplay (these cost around 200$), the brand is supposed to be J&L titanium, or something like that.

The problem is that today I went for a short 25Km ride and just 5 km from home the right pedal body and all that goes inside it went out of the spindle!!! It also uncliped from the cleat, so it ended up on a side of the road. Fortunately I could find it and nothing happened to me, it was on a flat section and I wasn't going too fast. I noticed that the problem was that the little bolt that keeps the pedal body to the spindle came loose, as it has not counter thread, and it was not the original bolt from the original spindle, which comes with a blue product on the thread, so it doesn't come apart; it was the new little bolt, which i even greased and perhaps did not tightened properly. big mistake.

What i've done is remove that little bolt and install the original one strongly. This one has that blue product to lock the thread so I hope it stays in place. But as this seems like too risky, I want to disassemble it again, clean it properly and apply a good thread lock product, so it won't happen again. If it happens again on a downhill, I could kill myself. So, the question is; what product should I buy to lock the thread? I´ve heard several times about loctite, but I don't know which is the proper one for this. I can either buy it on my usual online source (bike-discount.de) if they have it, or in a big hardware store that i have near my house or in ebay but, again, which one should I buy so this doesn't happen again? thanks a lot.
Happy Trails !!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Liggero

by Liggero

I´ve found these three:

-Bond 48 mittelfest:
http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k990/a ... lfest.html

-Bond 43 superglue:
http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k990/a ... -glue.html

-Bond 48 high strength:
http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k990/a ... ength.html

I guess this last one is the strongest and therefore the one I should buy, but I´d like to hear an expert advise. Please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Happy Trails !!!

WasFab

by WasFab

I am sorry to hear what experience you had, thankfully you are safe. I have never used loclite but from checking out different forums that discussed about thread and make sure they don't reopen I heard to use the blue loclite only. You can find it on eBay though

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

As Fab has said I'd go for Loctite 243 which is blue and medium strength.
Normally with high strength Loctite you need to apply heat to break the bond.

Liggero

by Liggero

Thanks a lot. I already ordered the blue Loctite that you recommend and that came with the original bolts. I wonder though if the stronger one would be better or if it would be really too difficult to disassemble.
Happy Trails !!!

krusty

by krusty

You don't want to apply red Loctite on small fasteners. You WILL have to heat it to remove the fastener, or you will either strip the head or break the head off. If what it is threaded into cannot tolerate heat, you likely won't be removing that fastener. Use the blue only. Make sure both the male and female threads are clean first.

Liggero

by Liggero

krusty wrote:You don't want to apply red Loctite on small fasteners. You WILL have to heat it to remove the fastener, or you will either strip the head or break the head off. If what it is threaded into cannot tolerate heat, you likely won't be removing that fastener. Use the blue only. Make sure both the male and female threads are clean first.

Superb!! now is perfectly clear. Thanks a lot. When I receive the loctite I will clean all and apply it properly.
Happy Trails !!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

krusty

by krusty

BTW, Loctite is formulated to set in the absence of air, which is why it sets up happily deep in a threaded part. It does, however, require some time to cure properly before being subjected to use. It is not a glue in the traditional sense. Some people treat it like super glue, and then are disappointed when it fails.