Campagnolo SR big problems

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Rumsas

by Rumsas

Hi there, i really hope some of you experts out there can help me with this. I tried to search for this, but nothing made me wiser about this problem.

I used to run a complete SR gruppo, but with Centaur shifters and a 10s cassette. And it ran perfectly, except i could really feel the difference in the shift quality, coming from the old Record 10s shifters. So for a long time i wanted to upgrade and buy some SR shifters and a 11s cassette.
It's fair to say that it took me quite a while to round up the money for the rest of the SR parts,
And when they finally arrived, i was very exited.

Now i am so disappointed and angry at the bike and the stupid gruppo, i am seriously considering selling the damn thing.

My problem is that no matter what i do, the rear derailleur just wont shift right. I have changed the cable, i have checked that the derailleur hanger is straight, lubricated and adjusted and adjusted and adjusted. And no matter what i do it has problems changing up, or down. And it just sounds terrible when i spin the chain around.

And now i am totally out of ideas.
This is sort of my 4th Campagnolo Groupset, and i have never had any problems before, it has always been so easy to setup, and a joy to ride.

I sure hope some of you can help, before my hair turn gray

astranoc

by astranoc

It's not very clear from your post, do you actually run an 11sp rear derailleur? Is the hanger bend at all? What chain do you use? Any stiff links? There can be 150 different reasons..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

No mention of whether a 10 or 11 spd chain was being used or how long you were running as 10 spd? How worn are the jockey wheels?

Rumsas

by Rumsas

Sorry for my bad English writing, what i tried to explain was that i now have a complete SR groupset
I have been running it as a 10s for one season,(but now it is 11s) the jockey wheels looks like new.
I forgot to mention it, but i also put on a 11s Record chain.
:D

tommasini

by tommasini

Please give a bit more detail about your shifting concerns.

If I were to take a guess....maybe it shifts fine into easier (more teeth) rear sprockets but then hesitates when going down to harder (less teeth) rear sprockets? If that's the case it's cable friction....gotta route them nicely and clean up the ends very well - liner ends not collapsed against the inner wire, squared off housing ends, etc.

Rumsas

by Rumsas

It's like this, usually when my RD have trouble shifting to the bigger sprockets, i tighten the cable a little. And vice versa when the opposite is the problem.
But i just cant find that sweet spot in the middle like i use to.
Plus i don't think the chain runs very smooth, for a new chain on a new cassette.
But i think i try to change the cable one more time, just to see if i can make it any better

OrPe

by OrPe

Do you know what year is your SR shifters from? (I understand they are new - but till late 2010 the SR shifters had issues with shifting that were addressed later).

if you are not sure, just post a photo of the shifters. there was a change in the graphics when the change was introduced to SR.

Oren.

Rumsas

by Rumsas

OrPe wrote:Do you know what year is your SR shifters from? (I understand they are new - but till late 2010 the SR shifters had issues with shifting that were addressed later).

if you are not sure, just post a photo of the shifters. there was a change in the graphics when the change was introduced to SR.

Oren.

They are the ones with the red graphics Image
But the RD are the one with white graphics only
Could that be a problem, noooo :noidea:

OrPe

by OrPe

Graphics shows it is the latest version... so not what i was thinking.

Anyhow, couple of more question:

- Is your frame internally routed?

- are you running campagnolo cables?
if so, are you sure you are using the new "ultra low friction" (== 11 speed compatible) set? the cable diameter changed for 11 speed...

hope you will get sorted out soon.

I have been riding chorus 11 speed (2010 vintage) for the last month or so.
Coming from record 10 speed, i can say that it is as good (if not a bit better) than record 10 was.

SR should be just as good (maybe a bit better...).

Oren.

natiedean24

by natiedean24

Since you are coming from Campy 10s, you probably understand the process for setting up the RD. Having said that, it really pays to explicitly follow all instructions in the manual, no matter how strange they may seem or how poorly they are worded.

I just setup a new Chorus 11s group for the first time a few weeks ago. I was coming from Campy 10s. The new 11s is the best shifting system I have ever experienced. I actually make all the adjustments (except the jockey height) with no chain on the bike and it shifted perfectly right away. The shifting was a bit off after the cables settling in, but that was a simple fix - quarter turn counterclockwise on the barrel adjuster to restore some tension.

Good luck with the troubleshoot!

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I'm thinking cable friction issue.

Check this out - 2012 tech manual p4

There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Rumsas

by Rumsas

Thanks guys, all of your responds are helping me very much :beerchug:

OrPe wrote:Graphics shows it is the latest version... so not what i was thinking.

Anyhow, couple of more question:

- Is your frame internally routed?

- are you running campagnolo cables?
if so, are you sure you are using the new "ultra low friction" (== 11 speed compatible) set? the cable diameter changed for 11 speed...

It is actually a couple of years old frame, with regular old time cable routing, so that should not be the problem.
I first used the Campagnolo cables that came with the shifters, but i am changing them this moment, for some nokon cables, wich feels to have a lot less friction. I am not a big fan of the Nokons, but the difference are huge, hope this will do the trick.

natiedean24 wrote:Since you are coming from Campy 10s, you probably understand the process for setting up the RD. Having said that, it really pays to explicitly follow all instructions in the manual, no matter how strange they may seem or how poorly they are worded.

I just setup a new Chorus 11s group for the first time a few weeks ago. I was coming from Campy 10s. The new 11s is the best shifting system I have ever experienced. I actually make all the adjustments (except the jockey height) with no chain on the bike and it shifted perfectly right away. The shifting was a bit off after the cables settling in, but that was a simple fix - quarter turn counterclockwise on the barrel adjuster to restore some tension.

Good luck with the troubleshoot!

I am actually a professional bike mechanic, and have worked with these things many times, i have just never had these kind of problems ever before.

@bikerjulio. if the cable change fail, i will try out this funky method.

Thanks again all your help is priceless :beerchug:

sharkman

by sharkman

Campy cables are perfect and nokon won't do the shifting any good.
Don't forget to check if the hanger is straight campy is allergic for slightly bent hangers.

socratease

by socratease

Have someone pedal and shift up and down while pedaling, while you watch the derailer shift. It could be the parallelogram is slightly bent (though, if it worked with 10speed, it may not be the problem).

Are cassette and freehub body tight?

With the exception of cables and housing, and bent hangers, I find these are the most common fixes to problems like your getting.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

As the frame isn't new, check the cable guide under the bottom bracket is in good condition.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com