Anyone ridden a set of American Classic 420s?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Incomplete Pete

by Incomplete Pete

Anyone ridden a set of American Classic 420s? Local shop has a set for £350 including tyres, tubes 'n casette. Wondering if they're worth getting, make a change from my Ksyriums which are used day in day out.

Any reviews, other than Pez Cycling would be great!

PS. Are they very durable?

Superlite

by Superlite

Do you even pay attention to the fourm? There are pleanty of people here who ride them, including myself.

These wheels are the bomb! And pretty bomb proof to. Super stiff, super fast, and very light for the 34mm deep alu rim. Hubs are awsome, super smooth. Next set of wheels I buy will be from AC, deciding between 38 carbons, mag clinchers, and 350's.

The only question I have for you is how much do you weigh? Also what is the spoke count and type of spoke used on the ones in the shop?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spytech

by spytech

Hey how do you like the AC hubs i have heard some people having problems with them. i have also heard they are going to change their design sometime this year. please correct me if i am wrong. Image

Superlite

by Superlite

There hubs are pretty good to me, but I have heard of people having problems with the rear hub mechanism. doesn't happen often though. I like them.

As for new hubs, thats classified. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. :twisted:

spytech

by spytech

Superlite wrote:As for new hubs, thats classified. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. :twisted:

so they are coming out with a new design, hope they are lighter, stronger, and they fix whatever is wrong with them. heh, after you tell me - i kill you Image

Incomplete Pete

by Incomplete Pete

I do pay attention but there seems to be a mixed opinion on them.... :roll:

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

If memeory serves me correctly the problem theyhad was with the engagement pawl on the freehub body snapping under high loads, which in turn would cause your wheel freehub to just spin on the axle. No forward motion anymore :shock: but I read somewhere (not to sure where now) that they have corrected this by using six pawls. Whic is quite a bit. The old ROLF wheels that used Hugi hubs used to have four, I saw the rear wheel on one off these do the same thing. The one minute you are riding, the next you looked like a charged hamster in a spinning wheel.

As for the new design on AC I think this is mainly a weight saving design and the new hubs should be in the 180-190 gram bracket. This I also read somewhere, but not too sure where either

jim

by jim

the american classic ultra-light hub has always had 6 pawls. i have seen several different models of this hub, and they have continued to improve the internals from when these were first introduced four years ago. like most manufacturers, they've had their glitches, but the latest generation for me has been great. as for these rumors of new hubs, the folks at ac would probably know the answer to that question

Florian
Site Admin

by Florian

Superlite wrote:Do you even pay attention to the fourm? There are pleanty of people here who ride them, including myself.

Superlite, once again: why do you act so aggressively?

That someone is registered since a while doesn't mean that he regularly checks the forum.
A small hint to use the search would have been more use- and helpful!

Incomplete Pete

by Incomplete Pete

Yea, lil touchy.... :?

Anywho, I searched the site but there weren't any really conclusive opinions as to whether some 420s would be any better than my Ksyriums.

jim

by jim

i think whether one wheel is better or not is a matter of personal opinion. people look for different things in wheels, so whilst one wheel may be great with one guy, another guy may hate it. definitely keeps the forum interesting!

Incomplete Pete

by Incomplete Pete

Ok:

Are they more aero?
Are they as stiff? (I weigh 140lbs if that's any help)
Are they as bombproof? i.e. can ride every day without any problems, like my Kysriums.

Surely those qs can't ocme down to personal opinion.

Superlite

by Superlite

Sorry bout that, didn't mean to come off that way, just seems like you'd know with all the people riding them.

Anyways, I think they are more aero then a standard wheel, I definatly feel faster on the flats. Climbs feel the same as any other wheel, and very stiff.

Since you only weigh 140lbs, ( I weigh 130 lbs) any spoke count or spoke type will work. The bladed DT spokes will offer the greatest stiffness, I ride that with 16/20 spoke count and they are bomb proof.

If the spoke count is 16/20 with 14/17 guage spokes you could still ride it, but wouldn't be as stiff, not sure if you could ride that every day.

Get back to me on spoke count and type. But they are probley good for you at your weight.

Incomplete Pete

by Incomplete Pete

I'll check with LBS and see which set they have. They only got a set in as a taster from a rep and they're pretty standard. Dunno if there's a basic version of the wheel, if so, it's probably that one.

spytech

by spytech

Incomplete Pete wrote:Ok:

Are they more aero?
Are they as stiff? (I weigh 140lbs if that's any help)
Are they as bombproof? i.e. can ride every day without any problems, like my Kysriums.

Surely those qs can't ocme down to personal opinion.

why dont you look into the spada with CR-350 rim, they are still aero (not as aero as the 420's), alot lighter and still strong everyday wheel. CR-420 and ksyrium sl rim are about the same weight, so not much rotational weight saved their. its also a reason i went with the ksyriums, plus like you said their bomb proof.

just an idea :idea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com