Another Ti frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sideshow_bob

by sideshow_bob

So sadly my brand new Stevens SLR is now a pile of carbon fiber pieces, thanks Mr Motorist. I need to start thinking about what the replacement will be.

I have a Van Nicholas Astraeus which I do like very much, and for whatever reason I'm a bit over disposable pieces of plastic coming out of the far East (yes yes I know the origin of the VN). I just gone through a really rewarding process of a custom build with Dave Tiemeyer on a track bike, and am thinking I wouldn't mind going through a similar process on a Ti road frame.

I have a few options:

1) Lynskey Helix off the rack
2) Firefly bikes custom
3) Kent Eriksen custom
4) Baum Coretto

I don't really have a budget, the price is the price. The cost of Options 1 to 3, including delivery to Australia and import taxes etc should all be pretty close give or take. The Baum is an Australian business and give or take is +25% on the other options.

Given fit on options 2-4 would be custom, price is not a barrier (within reason), you choice would be? And why? Inquiring minds want to know! ;p

Other info. The frame will be big - probably around 600mm actual top tube. I'd prefer slightly sloping over either square or compact geo. It will have mechanical shifting on it could be DA, could be Red 2012. I'd favour English 68mm bottom bracket over PF. Oversize head tube taking integrated headset (tapered is a bonus) is preferred to external headset. ISP could be an option. 6/4 versus 3/2.

Today I like what I've seen for Eriksen and that's my leaning. Tomorrow I may well wake up leaning another way.

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

First of all there are no bad choices on your list. The one thing that comes to mind though is the final weight of the frame, especially given the size you’re looking at. There is no doubt the craftsmanship of the folks on your list but in my experience both my Moots and IF (familial ties to Eriksen and Firefly) were a bit disappointing in the weight department. I would definitely inquire to see what their final weights for similar sized frames have been coming out to (I’ve also read a few threads about Baums coming in pretty heavy given the elaborate paint). Why not consider a read a Custom Lynskey? It can get pretty pricey but given what you’re looking at it might be worth it. I’d imagine a Helix OS with standard BB would work or maybe even an R440 Helix OS hybrid would be super sweet. But then again I am biased :D Just my 2 cents…

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

Actually just checked, the R440 now has the OS headtube (has had the Helix stays for some time) so it might be just what your looking for in a 6/4 bike (3/2.5 stays).

fa63

by fa63

I would go with a Baum because they are "local". That could save you a lot of hassle down the road in case something goes wrong. It also doesn't hurt that they seem to make nice frames (for a premium price, but sounds like you don't mind). The Corretto that I inspected at the NAHBS looked top notch, and felt pretty light for a Ti frame.

Good luck.

elfuinha

by elfuinha

hello have you consider the Moots vamoots RSL - PFBB30 and 44mm as option

bones

by bones

You know. People always say its a good idea to stick with your own kind, and always a good idea to buy locally from real American-owned companies. All your suggestions are good.

If not Eriksen, how about Moots? They are US made, and local too.

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

bones wrote:You know. People always say its a good idea to stick with your own kind, and always a good idea to buy locally from real American-owned companies. All your suggestions are good.

I believe the OP is in Austrailia so US made is an import.

bones

by bones

Ramjm_2000 wrote:
bones wrote:You know. People always say its a good idea to stick with your own kind, and always a good idea to buy locally from real American-owned companies. All your suggestions are good.

I believe the OP is in Austrailia so US made is an import.

Yeah, I was referring in general. You see, the term "local" doesn't really refer to buying within a certain area of where a person lives. The term "local" has evolved into a new meaning.

Buying "local" means buying something NOT made in Asia. It is an anti-Asian sentiment. Think about it. Cycling is a predominantly white sport. It is cool to buy American. It is cool to buy Italian. Cool to buy French. Even cool to buy UK, Australian, and other Commonwealth countries. Buying from China? Not cool. That is why buying "local" doesn't really mean buying local.

shinyboy

by shinyboy

Ok, I'm glad we've sorted that one out.

So, international is the new local eh - in that case I'll throw Crisp into the equation.

http://www.crisptitanium.com/

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

I only have personal experience with Erikson, and they are outstanding. Linskey doesn't really do it for me - the helix thing just doesn't make sense to me from a design perspective; it just seems like "hey, we can manipulated Ti in really cool ways even if it isn't functional". Baum seems to have a fantastic following, and buying local can be a good place to start - easier to work with the guy and hopefully faster to get your bike. Moots as a company is something I really can't get behind - there's a nasty back story and it's a production line factory (more or less) now. Crisp is supposed to make nice bikes, but again, I haven't ridden one...

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

billspreston

by billspreston

Wow there are so many great ti builders out there.

• Firefly
  • Baum
  • Kish
  • Hampsten
  • Bedford
  • Strong
  • Eriksen
  • IF
  • Moots

What exactly are you looking for in the bike aside from the specs you've listed? How do you want it to ride? What kind of riding are you going to use it for?

Like several have mentioned, Baum seems to be the most logical choice for you, but when spending money on a custom frame why not explore a bit. I would contact several of these builders and speak with them about what you want. Pick the one that seems to align best with your line of thinking. You have the somewhat rare opportunity to interact with the actual people that are building your frame so take advantage of it!

If I was personally getting a new ti frame built up my top 3 choices would be Firefly, Kish, and Hampsten. The stuff coming out of Firefly is simply drool worthy from an aesthetic perspective alone. Kish and Hampsten are a bit more conservative on that front, but they are excellent craftsmen.

bones

by bones

shinyboy wrote:Ok, I'm glad we've sorted that one out.

So, international is the new local eh - in that case I'll throw Crisp into the equation.

http://www.crisptitanium.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See! Just like I said. International is the new "local", so long as it wasn't made in China.

ticou

by ticou

I agree with Ramjn 2000, the upper Lynskeys are v.nice, and the helix is as light as a feather, i've picked one up, and the helix design is there to increase stiffness. And the other choices mentioned are svelte too. The \lynskey 440(?) is 6.4 ti, which is stronger than 2.4. I'm a confirmed steelist, but I've nowt against Ti all the same.

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

lancejohnson wrote:Linskey doesn't really do it for me - the helix thing just doesn't make sense to me from a design perspective; it just seems like "hey, we can manipulated Ti in really cool ways even if it isn't functional".

Thats cool...to each their own. Just like you I'm not a big Moots fan and I don't really dig the asthetics Kish welds, but hey thats me. Just curious though (i know you used to sell your own frames) is there something out there that makes you doubt the Helix technology or is it just a "feeling"?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Birillo

by Birillo

No one has mentioned the big benefit of custom build : you can talk to the actual frame builder! Some people know exactly what they want, and are able to draw up a very detailed specification, but the rest of us will benefit from discussing their requirements and taking the advice of an expert. I bet you'll tweak a few things as your relationship develops, and be glad that you did.

On that basis, the obvious choice is the builder closest to you!