which wheels

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
brearley

by brearley

I know it is a pretty standard topic

I now have two pairs of road wheels so one has to go
wondered which ones you guys think are best for my bike
options are:

hed stinger 6 pair: Image
hed stinger 6/9 pair: Image
zipp 404/ stinger 9 pair: Image

the wheels will be running on vittoria corsa evo scs if that makes any difference
whichever wheels are decided upon the other pair will be sold

by Weenie

weeshuggy

by weeshuggy

I'd say get rid of the deeper rims, as the slightly shallower ones will be better for every day use. unless you live in a very flat and windless. At the same time though its a bit of a personal choice, you may prefer one set over the other. a bit of common sense on this one should keep you right.

brearley

by brearley

I am more of a sprinter type so I am torn between the two.

however I will put both wheels up for sale, whichever sells first I will keep the other :thumbup:

soulbike
in the industry

by soulbike

The Stinger 6 pair looks the best on the bike.

bformanes

by bformanes

I say sell them all and get a new pair of 404 Firecrests

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Keep the dragster 6/9 set-up.......looks coolest. :beerchug:

ghostrider1tm

by ghostrider1tm

it depends more on how/where you ride...if you live in a really winding place then deeper is not better, also if you're a climber then lighter might suit you....if you're looking for the "cool factor" then it doesn't matter stick to the coffee shops and b rides

by Weenie

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

ghostrider1tm wrote:it depends more on how/where you ride...if you live in a really winding place then deeper is not better, also if you're a climber then lighter might suit you....if you're looking for the "cool factor" then it doesn't matter stick to the coffee shops and b rides

There isn't much of a difference between any of the set-ups he mentioned so wind/weight probably isn't going to be an issue. A 9 in the back may be a bit much, but if you can ride it why not?

I doubt he lives at the base of Alp d' Huez since he owns that stable of wheels, so I would hasten a guess that he doesn't need to go lighter.......HED tubbies aren't breaking any records, but they aren't heavy either.

On an aside, I am sure there are plenty of parts on your bike that you purchased for the "cool factor" so why not spare us your opinion on where someone can/should ride. :welcome: