Cervelo R3 > Canyon CF EVO?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Permon

by Permon

Hello,

yesterday I realized that I ve been riding my Cervelo R3 for 5 years. Wow, time is running. I love the frameset. The geometry works great for me, I like the handling of the bike..... So, 5 years? Hm, logically, I should go and buy the new R3. Well I d like to, but it is so expensive here in Europe (I bought my current R3 for great price 5 years ago)

So, I was looking for some other options and found out that Canyon is offering a frameset which could be a good replacement for the R3. And the price 1300 EUR is just sweet. They also offer version SLX for 1700 EUR. (it is 50g lighther).

I would appreacite your points of view. Is Canyon a good one? What about SLX version, is it worth ? I do not care about -50 grams...I look for stiffness, comfort, handling...is there any diffence between these 2 versions?

If you think there is another brand offering a better frame at the same price level, please feel free to notice me:)

Thanx.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HakanC

by HakanC

There is some numbers from a Tour-test of both frames here
viewtopic.php?p=728374#p728374" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But the geometry is diffrent, make sure you get one that fits.

/Håkan

record

by record

Personally I would stick with the R3 for another year and just wait for the Eurobike, as they are probably going to show new Ultimate CF.
A light bike does replace good fitness.

Permon

by Permon

record wrote:Personally I would stick with the R3 for another year and just wait for the Eurobike, as they are probably going to show new Ultimate CF.

That is a good point. It also came to my mind that the current model is few years old and wait one more season could be smart.... :beerchug:

micky

by micky

Plus there's no difference between CF and SLX, at least not anything worth the price difference.

aharbutt

by aharbutt

I've owned both, the Cervelo with Dura Ace and the Canyon with Chorus. No doubt about it that the Cervelo is the better bike. It's up to you to decide if its worth the price difference as nothing really competes with Canyon in that regard.
Read a Gilbert interview from earlier this year where he said he was unhappy with the equipment at Lotto and liked the BMCs. (Pozzato interview last weekend in Cyclingnews.com where he also criticises the Focus and is happy with the Cippolini.)

Permon

by Permon

aharbutt wrote:I've owned both, the Cervelo with Dura Ace and the Canyon with Chorus. No doubt about it that the Cervelo is the better bike. It's up to you to decide if its worth the price difference as nothing really competes with Canyon in that regard.
Read a Gilbert interview from earlier this year where he said he was unhappy with the equipment at Lotto and liked the BMCs. (Pozzato interview last weekend in Cyclingnews.com where he also criticises the Focus and is happy with the Cippolini.)

Thanx for input guys.
Yeah, it is good to hear pros opinions.....but, I am kind of afraid that they say what their employer paid them for.
So, Your opinions means much more to me. Thanx.

HakanC

by HakanC

record wrote:Personally I would stick with the R3 for another year and just wait for the Eurobike, as they are probably going to show new Ultimate CF.

That there will be a new new Ultimate CF is not a wild guess.
The Aeroad has a very different geometry compared to the Ultimate CF of today.
For 2012 Canyon changed the alu-frames, including, but not limited to, the geometry.

Here is Canyons frames for 2012
Stack and Reach from: http://www.canyon.com/_en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

/Håkan
SWEDEN

aharbutt

by aharbutt

While I don't trust pros who say that their current bike is the best ever, I DO trust them when they say that the bike of their previous sponsor who they now have no affiliation to wasn't up to standard.

from the review: http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/fil ... r-too-long
"CN: You say the problem was a technical issue. You mean the bike?

FP: Yeah, it may seem strange that the bike caused such a big fall-out, but it did. I’ve never understood why cyclists are always satisfied with the equipment they have, or at least say they are. It’s not like that in Moto GP or F1. Why? I don’t know. Because very often we’re made to use equipment that’s not good or suitable. This year is maybe the first time that I’ve been really happy, and that’s a result of the team listening to me. What this team had last year wasn’t quite good enough, in my opinion, and they changed it to make me happy. Now I’m 100% satisfied. But, yeah, it’s ridiculous that we’re just given a bike at the start of the season and have little if any choice in the matter. Valentino Rossi has made Ducati completely overhaul their bike. I don’t see why it should be different here."

Boonen also complained earlier this year about the bikes at Quick Step and that he was happy to be back on Specialized.

andyindo

by andyindo

aharbutt wrote:Boonen also complained earlier this year about the bikes at Quick Step and that he was happy to be back on Specialized.

I'm definitely sceptical on the Boonen one as those Merckx bike are very highly regarded amongst those in the know.

Permon

by Permon

aharbutt wrote:While I don't trust pros who say that their current bike is the best ever, I DO trust them when they say that the bike of their previous sponsor who they now have no affiliation to wasn't up to standard.

from the review: http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/fil ... r-too-long" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"CN: You say the problem was a technical issue. You mean the bike?

FP: Yeah, it may seem strange that the bike caused such a big fall-out, but it did. I’ve never understood why cyclists are always satisfied with the equipment they have, or at least say they are. It’s not like that in Moto GP or F1. Why? I don’t know. Because very often we’re made to use equipment that’s not good or suitable. This year is maybe the first time that I’ve been really happy, and that’s a result of the team listening to me. What this team had last year wasn’t quite good enough, in my opinion, and they changed it to make me happy. Now I’m 100% satisfied. But, yeah, it’s ridiculous that we’re just given a bike at the start of the season and have little if any choice in the matter. Valentino Rossi has made Ducati completely overhaul their bike. I don’t see why it should be different here."

Boonen also complained earlier this year about the bikes at Quick Step and that he was happy to be back on Specialized.

What equipment had been Pozzato using in 2011? Was it Focus, Sram and Vision wheels?

Permon

by Permon

andyindo wrote:
aharbutt wrote:Boonen also complained earlier this year about the bikes at Quick Step and that he was happy to be back on Specialized.

I'm definitely sceptical on the Boonen one as those Merckx bike are very highly regarded amongst those in the know.

I remember a few years ago when Boonen switched from TIME to Specialized, he was very unsatistfied with the change. He was even forced to use aluminium frameset because carbon fiber one from Specialized did not fit him. He is always unsatisfied :P

kervelo

by kervelo

HakanC wrote:There is some numbers from a Tour-test of both frames here
viewtopic.php?p=728374#p728374" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

/Håkan

Does anyone know if a comparison between Cervelo and Canyon aluminium frame (S1 and Ultimate Al) geometries is available somewhere?

Permon

by Permon

kervelo wrote:
HakanC wrote:There is some numbers from a Tour-test of both frames here
viewtopic.php?p=728374#p728374" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

/Håkan

Does anyone know if a comparison between Cervelo and Canyon aluminium frame (S1 and Ultimate Al) geometries is available somewhere?

You can find geometries at their websites.

v70cat

by v70cat

If the current R3 frame is in good shape why not spend some money on upgrading to Di2 or new wheels.

Or put the $4,000 +/- in savings so in another few years you will more money to spend on a new bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com