HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:56 pm 

Hello i am interested for a comfort seatpost and i am between Syntace P6 hiflex and Storck ultra comfort or comfort.

In this time i have the Syntace P6 carbon and i would like to know if there is any notable difference between P6 carbon and P6 hiflex or the change will be worthless.

I am closer to the Syntace because i am very pleased from the carbon seatpost i have now but i would like it more comfort and smooth on longer rides. My bike is a Storck fenomalist 2011.

Also i would like to know if someone has use Storck seatposts.

Has anyone test both of them to tell me his experience?

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:23 pm 

nobody? :?

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:23 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:12 am 

I'm sorry i cannot comment on either specificaly, however, some points to consider re the benefit from a post..

To gain any aprreciable deflection the post will have to be long (exposed length > 200mm)
Depending on your frame size and fit this may not be available

Additionally there are other means to gain comfort (better road feel) and at least cost through the tyres:-
Running Lower pressure of course depending on you mass, road condition and rider finesse..
Recall lower pressure front than rear
Using a larger tyre size, 23 in place of 21 or 22mm wide, or even 24 / 25 in place of 23mm, with lower pressure the larger the dia....
Additionally a wide rim (23mm outer face width) will support and open out the base of a clincher providing effectively a bigger volume of air in the tyre and hence enabling lower pressures to be run at no deficit... (often reduced rolling resitance particularly on coarse road surfaces).
And finally an option to get some wide tubulars and run 24 / 25mm tubs... very smooth rolling...

If you have optimised these area's already, then remaining area is of course frame saddle and short... if you elect to chnage these then the options are vast.

As a LOOK rider i have to say the ergo post works very well... so change from Storck to LOOK ?? (Kidding..)
I also use HED wheels and benefit from the wide rim larger bag 23mm tyres and that makes a very noticeable difference..)

All the best

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:21 am 

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -11-44709/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:29 am 

thanks for the answers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:59 pm 

Hi Guideus,

Just saw this, I also have a 2011 Fenomalist and I recently got the Storck Ultra Comfort ( I'm 68kg).

Having gone from the Controltech Carbon Wepost to the Storck Ultra Comfort, I have to be honest and say I didn't notice much of a difference, its a little smoother but nothing earth shattering like the Bike Radar review says.

The Fenomalist is actually quite a smooth ride anyway, especially running Veloflex. My Argon 18 Gallium Pro was a bloody nightmare by comparison, used to beat the crap out of me, maybe the Ultra Comfort might have made a bigger impression on that.

PROS:

It does add a little bit of comfort but most importantly it looks ACE with the Fenomalist !!! :thumbup:

CONS:

Its bloody heavy, the clamp being the main culprit I think. I'll definitely be getting some Ti bolts for it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:49 pm 

Is the Storck post a rebranded Syntace like other Storck components?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:05 pm 

You'll definitely notice the difference riding the Syntace, it does dampen the road vibration quite a bit. Big and large potholes do feel muted. I've got it combined with the Antares 00. They are exceptional together on Ti bike.

Not sure who owns the patents but the Syntace, the Storck and the Niner RDO are the same post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:22 pm 

Kingston wrote:
Is the Storck post a rebranded Syntace like other Storck components?

Guys i think the new Storck seatposts are not rebranded Syntace. The previous p6 yes it was.

The top of the post is different in Storck Ultra comfort and comfort, don' t look like any other Syntace post, they also have 8mm setback. Image

The hiflex has the traditional flipped top just like the previous edition with 0 setback.

The new Storcks are closer to the niner than hiflex.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:13 pm 

I think there is a connection, although the tops are different. I was waiting a long time for the Ultra Comfort, with ever changing shipping dates as Storck were waiting on them to arrive from wherever they are made. I then tried to get the Syntace, but was given the same story.

When the Ultra Comfort finally did reach Storck, the Sytace was also started showing 'in stock' on the various online retailers.

Same manufacturer methinks. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:44 pm 

Guys finally i order the Syntace P6 hiflex. The seatpost is really smooth and comfortable. It really smooths very effectively the road defects and small potholes. It is a remarkable difference between P6 and hiflex.

You feel a little flex so maybe is not for someone who needs a verry stiff post. But for those who need comfort is the absolut. Ideal for long rides!

I am very pleased

Thanx everyone for the help

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:42 pm 

Thanks for chiming in on your experience with the post. What size did you get and did you check the weight?

Also, is the flex something that you can reproduce just pushing down on your saddle forcefully or only something felt while riding on the road?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:50 pm 

Hi Guideus
I am very interested in this post - I was wondering how much you can adjust the horizontal angle of your saddle with the clamp - it is not clear from the pictures how the saddle rail supports can be rotated
I use an SMP saddle which requires the rails to be angled quite a bit in order to achieve a level saddle as per below - could this be achieved with this posts' saddle clamp?
Attachment:
IMG_2404 compressed2.JPG
IMG_2404 compressed2.JPG [ 150.72 KiB | Viewed 2629 times ]

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:50 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:58 pm 

Hi dadoflam08
I have installed to my Storck the Syntace seatpost with SMP Pro saddle.i have adjust my clamp in the max position so that my nose saddle would be a little higher(0,5cm) than the horizontal angle
as you can understand if you want to set your saddle horizontal or 0,5cm higher this seatpost is ok,but if you need higher position then looked to find another post

SMP recommend as max higher saddle position 1cm than the horizontal angle