Painting FD and RD

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BmanX

by BmanX

Has anyone painted their RD and FD to match their bike better. I have been thinking about just buying the new SRAM RED BLACK but I have already tuned my RD to 122g and do not want to do this again with the RED BLACK and I am running a Shimano 7800 FD but think it would match my build a lot better to just paint the main body of each.

Has anyone painted their FD or RD and how did it work out. Did you take the RD apart paint it and reinstall it and how about the FD.

Thanks in advance.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Selmer

by Selmer

no, but I am thinking about doing the same thing on my cannondale hollowgram SL crank arms, paint them in black.

what kind of paint are you planning to use on them ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I thought I'd probably just paint the outside of the FD with some automotive grade black paint (after some sanding). Didn't get to it yet, though.

cymans

by cymans

yep, painted my ultegra RD matt black and looks cool. :beerchug:

BmanX

by BmanX

I was thinking that just sanding the body of the RD and FD sould be enough and then doing 3-4 layers of very fine sprays. I have done this before with other parts (not for bicycles) and it worked out very well. I have a spare 7800 FD that I think I will experiment with.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I've actually been considering doing this with my Ultegra 6700 crankset.......was on the fence between paint, powdercoat or anodizing them.

Let me know how y'all get on.... :beerchug:

quattrings

by quattrings

painted my FSA chainring and FD clamp. The clamp was sanded beforehand, the chainrings weren't.
I used motip heat resistant paint and baked them in the oven for 45 minutes afterwards and it looks like it's a pretty tough finish. will be trying it on a 5600 105 RD soon.

Pic of the chainring:
IMG_0781 by Quattrings, on Flickr

bura

by bura

No idea what kind of paint was used but here are samples with Sram Red.

http://fotos.rennrad-news.de/p/243879" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://fotos.rennrad-news.de/p/243880" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An additional shot for the Sram controls. Something like this would fit Srams new Red much better than " the bigger the better" style graphs of the original version.

http://fotos.rennrad-news.de/p/243881" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com