2nd bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Volleyratt

by Volleyratt

Ok so here is my dilemma...I have an itch to spend some money. Yes many or lost will say I am crazy. In the end what I want to end up with two bikes. I currently have a 2011 specialized roubaix comp with 105 group. I can upgrade the wheels and tires for around $750 (conti gp4000 tires and ksrium elite wheels) and get a faster roubaix , and then turn around and buy an allez evo rival (2100 retail that i can get for $1700 with rival, carbin crank, decent wheels and e5 alum frame) for a 2nd / winter / indoor training bike. If I do that I'll have a better roubaix, albeit not an sl3 level bike and a decent backup. Total out of pocket will be around $2450 for two bikes.

Or

I sell the roubaix for about $1600 or so, buy a sl3 roubaix expert (which I can get for 3150 brand new for 2012 model at lbs with full ultegra), pay about 1550 out of pocket and then buy a little lower allez apex (still the e5 alum frame and os bb and the apex are lighter than shimano 105 group) for about $1150 at lbs. total out of pocket would be $2700.

What two bikes would you rather end up with?

I look at it this way. On a 1-10 scale the roubaix I have now upgraded would be IMHO a 7 while the allez would be a 6. The 2nd option would put me in a better roubaix, lighter and stiffer than even upgrading my current roubaix and therefore be a 8 on a 1-10 scale but the lesser allez would be a 5. Thoughts?

Please do not just say I am crazy or that I'm an idiot or just ride what I have now. Yes I know I have a nice bike but I want a second bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rbrtwyn

by rbrtwyn

I vote for the second option.

As to having two bikes, of all the cycling websites in the world, the readers at this one will not say you are crazy for having more than one bike :D

VTBike

by VTBike

I don't think your crazy, but I think you are crazy to have what would be 2 "entry level" bikes... though they would be nice by many standards. Why have 2 mediocre bikes? Therefore, I'm clearly in the option 2 camp. At least give yourself one nice bike, and one passable bike.. rather than 2 average nothing special bikes.

Volleyratt

by Volleyratt

Thank you for the advice. I am so confused. Don't know if I should upgrade wheel set (albeit only about a 10oz upgrade) or put money towards new roubaix or Tarmac expert. Arrrggghhhh

LouisN

by LouisN

I would say shop for a used second bike, since it's for winter/indoors.
Loads of good aluminium bikes everywhere on the net for little money. Good chance you'll end up with a better bike anyways.

Take the highest amount of money left and upgrade the Roubaix as much as possible. Enjoy.

(although I suspect you only have one LBS option since you just talked about the Specialized bikes...)

Louis :)

Liggero

by Liggero

I would sell the one you have and buy a new good bike, not entry level, and keep just one bike. 2 bikes more or less the same makes no sense IMHO. a 2nd bike as a mountain bike, or a dual suspension or a time trial bike, etc... that makes sense. 2 road bikes so similar... why bother? get a good bike and use it whenever, no matter the weather, use it in rain and mud.
Happy Trails !!!

foofighter

by foofighter

Get a CX bike for the winter.

eordman

by eordman

I agree with the sentiment about having the two bikes be different from each other. Therefore, I'd go with option two. It seems like that would serve your purposes better. Roubaix for nice days, events, long distance, whatever. Then just beat the hell out of the allez. Rain, snow, crits. (don't know if you're into that).

If I were you I'd sell the Roubaix, get the Allez, and put a ton of money into it but that's just because I'm a big fan of these new Allezs.

elviento

by elviento

Especially when their STEM could very well be more $$$ than your whole bike.

rbrtwyn wrote:I vote for the second option.

As to having two bikes, of all the cycling websites in the world, the readers at this one will not say you are crazy for having more than one bike :D
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

brycerider

by brycerider

Get one good bike, two sets of wheels and just ride it. Two the same makes no sense.

Sent from my ME860 using Tapatalk
N+1 It Never Stops

notsoswift

by notsoswift

1 bike 2 wheel sets

OK I know I don't practice what I preach with 2 road bikes, and 3 sets of wheels, but part of that is because I went from Shimano to Campagnolo and my (2004) DA7800 LOOK 461 is not actually worth enough to sell without making me feel sick, it is such a nice bike I would rather use it for bad weather than give it away

wath

by wath

Of those two options, I would go with the second. I personally don't see the point in having two almost equivalent bikes.

But if you're just "itching to spend some money" then I'd probably suggest an awesome carbon wheelset. You'd probably be happier with that than having an additional lesser bike.

Just my 2 cents. :mrgreen:

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

notsoswift wrote:1 bike 2 wheel sets

Meh, it really should be 5 bikes, 15 wheelsets, and then just go from there.

What's really nice about having two bikes is that you get to work on them when you feel like it. Break one, grab the other, fix it when it hails outside.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

swinter

by swinter

I vote for selling the current bike and getting a better frame. The advantage of investing in one really good frame (over two entry levels with various components) is that you can steadily upgrade over time.

Eventually, you want a top level gearing system (Dura Ace or the SRAM or Campagnolo equivalents), some really good wheels, and high-end carbon (i.e., light weight) bars, stem, seatpost, etc.

I mean, why get two entry levels when you can pick up something nice, durable, and relatively light like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Litespeed-Titanium-Vortex-Compact-Roadbike-/221200136845?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item33808e3a8d
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

Agree with swinter ... sell what you have and start again with a pro level frame. A used S-Works SL3 I guess (Roubaix or Tarmac depending on your geo preference).

After that, buy a set of WW carbon wheels.

Then buy a second bike in no rush (or keep your current bike as a second bike).

Two bikes makes a lot of sense ... you can work on one while the other remains road worthy, and ensure you're always riding something that is in top condition. It's the little things that take time (yours or the LBSs) like bearing maintenance that you want to ensure are done, but don't want to keep you off the road ever.

Two bikes makes that possible.

Above two it's more just into "nice to haves".

But every serious road man should have two road bikes.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup: