Importing LW's

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I spoke via email with Gypzybikz about Lightweight wheels and importing them to the States. They were nice enough to point me to the US Customs website to investigate customs duties that might apply to the order. It appears that none would apply if the wheels were sent in two seperate packages. Anyone ever order a set of LW's from Gypzybike and know the duties that can be expected?
Thanks,
Stolichnaya

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

Have you talked to Javelin bikes? They're the US Importers for Lightweight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rogue_M3

by Rogue_M3

I got my Lightweights last month from starbikes. There were no taxes or duties that I had to pay. I've ordered several items from Europe including frames and components and I have yet to pay any import taxes.

bikeguy101

by bikeguy101

[Edit by Frankie => unsolicited advertising]

Rogue_M3

by Rogue_M3

There are going to be a lot of places in the states that sell Lightweight wheels but they all have to go through the same importer. More than likely the standard price in the US will be about $3,700.

If you go through starbikes you can get them for $2,581.90.

mises

by mises

I have never been charged duties on stuff sent via a postal service and I must have gotten over 50 shipments by now so the odds are very favorable they will get through free. The maximum rate on any bike part is 8% and it seems like wheels and parts of wheels were in that category but I haven't looked them up lately.

Private carriers charge duties every time, many times even on things that are 0 rated, plus they will ding you for customs facilitation.

bikemesenger
Shop Owner

by bikemesenger

Rogue_M3 wrote:There are going to be a lot of places in the states that sell Lightweight wheels but they all have to go through the same importer. More than likely the standard price in the US will be about $3,700.

I am a Lightweight dealer and can't compete with the prices that Starbike sells them for.

smallfish101

by smallfish101

bikemesenger wrote:
Rogue_M3 wrote:There are going to be a lot of places in the states that sell Lightweight wheels but they all have to go through the same importer. More than likely the standard price in the US will be about $3,700.

I am a Lightweight dealer and can't compete with the prices that Starbike sells them for.

bikemesenger, I feel for you. The situation is the same here in Australia. I am a consumer rather than retailer, and I would like to support good friends of mine who run the LBS. However, I am not Rockefeller. I can import Lightweight wheels and a Scott frame for the same price as the Lightweights here in Oz. The Scott frame is prohibitive, with the result that guys who don't wish to risk internet buying or importing are set to ride junk like Merida. It is the importer / middleman who scores.
GO HARD OR GO HOME

smallfish101

by smallfish101

bikemesenger wrote:

bikemesenger, I feel for you. The situation is the same here in Australia. I am a consumer rather than retailer, and I would like to support good friends of mine who run the LBS. However, I am not Rockefeller. I can import Lightweight wheels and a Scott frame for the same price as the Lightweights here in Oz. The Scott frame is prohibitive, with the result that guys who don't wish to risk internet buying or importing are set to ride junk like Merida. It is the importer / middleman who scores.
GO HARD OR GO HOME

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Thanks all for your input. I prefer to go through a LBS for my bike gear, but the price differential (for a grad student) is way too great here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com