Best FD for 2011 SRAM Red Groupset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

headwind816

by headwind816

Layback wrote:The shifting is money on my stand - totally dialed in. I can't make it jump and I can't make the chain rub (even with completely unreasonable shifting). But when I throw it on the trainer it all goes to shit. It won't shift to the big ring. So then I loosen the H Limit screw and increase tension until it shifts but then it's back to throwing the chain. WTF? Does anyone have any idea why this could be?

Maybe it's back to looking for a DA 7800?

This conclusion makes me sad as I am about to set up with Red shifters, Force FD, and Rival RD to Shimano cassette/chain and SL-K crank ... I guess I will have something to report later

motorthings

by motorthings

just finished my first ride on a full 2011 SRAM Red Black setup, but with the 2012 Yaw FD installed (switched from the 2011 Red FD yesterday night), and the results are amazing. I only get chain rub in the 34/11, and the shifting is a huge improvement over the old version. I wasn't unhappy with the old, but am very happy with the Yaw FD.

The instructions that come with the FD are very clear, and really helped get it dialed in perfectly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Sram Red Steel cage? That is what I'm using now. Had a Red Titanium previously. Shifting is much crisper, particularly on the upshift to the big ring. I run Qrings also..so things aren't always going to be perfect with those anyway, it's not like I'm shifting up/down every 5 seconds...so no big deal, just think ahead 5 seconds.

motorthings

by motorthings

The 2011 sram red fd was steel cage (after warrantying my only ti cage one, i have only used the steel cage flavor).

Layback

by Layback

Thanks again for all of the info. I ordered a 7800 DA yesterday, took the Force FD back and reinstalled the Red Ti FD for now.

Just out of curiosity has anyone who has ever faced this problem:

1) Gotten SRAM to replace the Red Ti FD with a Red Steel FD free of charge?
2) Had success by switching to the Red Steel FD.

After switching back to the Ti FD shifting is better/crisper than with Force with the exception of chain rub in big chainring/high gear or throws in big chainring/high gear if I adjust the HL screw to take away the rub.
2011 Cervélo RS - SRAM Red

motorthings

by motorthings

I had my ti cage red fd replaced when it stopped working well, they sent a steel cage (called it the armstrong edition way back when). The steel cage version shifting was as good as the force.

mattlawro

by mattlawro

Could do with some clear help on this one... Just found this post and wasn't aware of this issue.
I have SRAM red black ready to install on my caad10
I've got a SRAM red ti derailleur and a SRAM red steel dérailleur which do I install? Or do I buy a 2012?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

motorthings

by motorthings

sram red ti 8/10 initially fading to 5/10 over 3k miles
sram red steel 9/10 without fade
sram red yaw 2012 10/10 (best shifting + wider range of gear combinations without chain rub).

ratings assume all other components are sram red 2011 or earlier.

mattlawro

by mattlawro

Thanks motor. I'm going to take ur advice and buy a yaw.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

it's all in the setup. finicky yes, but force FD works the best (if staying in the sram family). i wont go and debate sram vs shimano vs campy functionality, but both of my bikes on red rings and force steel fd cage, they shift fine while on the road.

shifting from small to big ring under massive load , ie going up a hill or on the trianer even (i've found) just doesn't happen, but i've never found in either of those situations honestly. only way to solve the under load shifting problem is electric.

robsc

by robsc

I placed a thin washer here to widen the cage at the lower part (about a mm or less) and have no chain rub on any gear combination using the old 2011 red shifters and the force derailleur
Scott Addict (7,19kg) (15,8lbs)

headwind816

by headwind816

@robsc ... thanks for the tip :thumbup: