Steel ISP tube...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Timo

by Timo

Hi forum,

Which manufacturer makes steel seat tubes long enough for my 73 cm ISP plan? Columbus and Dedacciai both don't make them longer than 62 cm. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Timo
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

foofighter

by foofighter

Even if you could get it that long, you would need a custom quad butted tube or add an external gusset. Try asking Vanilla/Speedvagen/DeSalvo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

simonanks69

by simonanks69

the true temper HOXPLAT 13 is 737 mm long and has a diameter of 737 mm
CARPE DIEM
Colnago C59 Italia GLBK
Up coming custom steel cyclocross :D

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

simonanks69 wrote:has a diameter of 737 mm

guessing that's a mis type? :mrgreen:

simonanks69

by simonanks69

oops :oops: a length*
CARPE DIEM
Colnago C59 Italia GLBK
Up coming custom steel cyclocross :D

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

A work-around would be to use a plain gauge piece of tubing. What OD are we talking?

BackRoadsBiker

by BackRoadsBiker

Aircraftspruce.com should be able to set you straight. All sorts of straight gauge 4130 in appropriate wall thicknesses. Custom lengths available. Quick shipping. Not much to complain about.
This board and the world in general would be a much nicer place if everyone could just take themselves a little less seriously.

foofighter

by foofighter

Why would you want to use straight gauge?! A steel ISP is already going to be heavier than a Al or Carbon seat post...using straight gauge would be waaay heavier.

BackRoadsBiker

by BackRoadsBiker

foofighter wrote:Why would you want to use straight gauge?! A steel ISP is already going to be heavier than a Al or Carbon seat post...using straight gauge would be waaay heavier.

I recommended straight gauge because the OP asked for a long steel tube. I'd assume that if he was having a custom frame made to his specs, the builder would have a lathe and would be able to turn the tube to whatever wall thickness they desired, even if the butting had to be external. That's the route I went with the frame I did with an ISP, and worked out swimmingly. You are probably correct that it is heavier, but that wasn't a big concern for me.
This board and the world in general would be a much nicer place if everyone could just take themselves a little less seriously.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Timo

by Timo

That's right, it's an Italian builder who will do a custom frame for me. He uses tubes from the Columbus and Dedacciai range but these companies don't do anything above 620mm. Weight isn't the big issue or I would not have chosen steel in the first place. That said, I must say that I considered an aluminium frame build from Deda Fire tubing since that tube set includes a 750mm seat tube. But I want a frame with slim tubes so steel is the way to go I guess.
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.