Condor Super Acciaio - Anyone taken one for a spin?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

metanoize

by metanoize

Looks like a great bike!

Don't forget This bike is made of steel. There are many amazing steel builders out there who can custom build you something similar for about the same price.

Check out this select group in this video http://vimeo.com/63196888

fifarafa

by fifarafa

joshvoulters wrote:Sure.

My regular frame is a Cervelo R3 with SRAM Force- wheels are H Plus Son Archetypes on Novatec hubs. 3T Dorico Ltd seatpost and Arx Pro stem.

I tested the Condor with my own wheels, saddle, seat post and stem and as luck had it, it also had SRAM Force- so basically the only variable was the frame.

The Condor climbs well in comparison to any other non-carbon bike I've ridden (including a Cannondale CAAD)- very stiff through the head tube and pretty light. You do notice a bit of bottom bracket movement when climbing hard. Bear in mind that the Cervelo I'm used to has an incredibly stiff BB area (in my experience), so it's all relative. My favourite part of climbing on the Super Acciaio is that road imperfections that would usually interrupt your cadence or force you out of the saddle weren't a factor- you can pedal through them and trust the frame to soak them up. Obviously I'm not talking huge potholes!

If you know Hog Hill- I raced there on the bike, and it's a pretty good test of its characteristics. Fast corners, uphill sprint, a bit of descending through corners. It behaved well- very much a race bike, but one that won't beat you up if you spend all day on it.

Difficult to isolate the fork from the rest of the bike, but it's light (about 300g I think?) and felt very solid.

Hope that helps!

Thank you very very much!!!! :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fifarafa

by fifarafa

metanoize wrote:Looks like a great bike!

Don't forget This bike is made of steel. There are many amazing steel builders out there who can custom build you something similar for about the same price.

Check out this select group in this video http://vimeo.com/63196888" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course you're right, but who has for ex. tappered head tube like Condor?
If I had more time I'd order frame from Brian Rourke or Strong...

joshvoulters

by joshvoulters

My last word on the matter, before I start to sound like a Condor salesman (!)

The tapered steerer is a big deal I think in how the bike handles. The oversized downtube and tapered headtube are custom drawn for Condor, and make a big difference in the bike hanging together visually. Look at a tapered carbon fork on any other steel frame (with skinnier tubes)- it looks unbalanced. Not so on the Condor.

Also, I think they only charge £100 or £150 for custom paint if you want something a bit different.

fifarafa

by fifarafa

Unfortunately if you want custom painting you have to be patient...16 weeks :)

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

fifarafa wrote:Unfortunately if you want custom painting you have to be patient...16 weeks :)
Up to 16 weeks. It can very often be be quicker in practice.

metanoize

by metanoize

OK, now that I've looked enough at this bike, I want one :) Here is size 49, the exact unit ridden by Dean Downing. Interestingly, this unit supports Di2, but they don't sell them on the website!

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Unlike carbon, where Di2/EPS & mechanical can be accommodated in one frame, it is an optional extra on the steel frames. That bike was one of the first Super Acciaio frames made to have internal routing.

fifarafa

by fifarafa

Is this standard painting black/white/pink ?

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I've seen the grey and red in person, looks much better IMHO.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

fifarafa wrote:Is this standard painting black/white/pink ?

That is the team finish, which has been updated for 2013 and is a stock colour. New version is the one Bikeradar featured recently.

fifarafa

by fifarafa

so this is stock black/white/pink? On your website are different photos:
http://www.condorcycles.com/Road/10650- ... e.tpl.html

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

fifarafa wrote:so this is stock black/white/pink? On your website are different photos:
http://www.condorcycles.com/Road/10650- ... e.tpl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No. There are two colourways. The White/Gunmetal with red accents and the Team Rapha JLT edition. The picture with the white fork is from last year, sorry.

fifarafa

by fifarafa

...and all clear :)

Are these 2013 version photos?

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gallery/a ... ry-36698/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by fifarafa on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fifarafa

by fifarafa

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gallery/a ... ry-36698/8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are these Campagnolo ita/eng cups?
Why not Campagnolo BB3o adapter (OS cups)? Are there any problems with chainstay shape and longer crank arms?