Citric Acid as degreaser

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

bones wrote:A frying pan? Toothbrush? That is really disgusting. You know all these nasty chemicals in chain oil can make you really sick?
Let me posit the possibility that Fourthbook does not use the frying pan for cooking or serving food, or the toothbrush for brushing teeth, subsequent to their use in chain cleaning.

sastre

by sastre

anyone used morgon blue degreasers and brushes they do a kit for a resonable price.

there used by some pro teams apparently ie sky dont no if there new on to the game its eco friendly so thats a plus.
Full steam we go against the odds
Headfirst we go against the grain
Against the odds, against the grain
We go against the odds, against the grain

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

Huh... you mean I shouldn't clean my chain w/ my regular toothbrush and everyday frying pan! Maybe that's why I'm short, slow and bald...
Wilier Cento1 SR
13.10 lbs (5.95 kgs) w/Enve 3.4-Tune 70/170 & Conti Competitions tubulars
12.53 lbs (5.68 kgs) w/FarSports 24-Extralite & Vittoria CX EVO II tubulars

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

sastre wrote:anyone used morgon blue degreasers and brushes they do a kit for a resonable price.

there used by some pro teams apparently ie sky dont no if there new on to the game its eco friendly so thats a plus.

Personally I use quite a lot of Morgan Blue products and have done so for years.
While I'm not using their degreaser I do use their lubricants and polish almost exlusively. Most of their stuff is well chosen industrial grade product repackaged for them.
If their degreaser is still the same one from a few years back then it's in accordance to European guidelines as far as eco friendlyness goes.
You will need to use the brushes along with the product as left to its own it will just break down the oily parts in the lube, it will not remove the grime all by itself. (Citrus based degreasers are much better at that).

All in all I view their line as a modest copy of what Park Tool offers, it does the job nicely.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

bones

by bones

Fourthbook wrote:Huh... you mean I shouldn't clean my chain w/ my regular toothbrush and everyday frying pan! Maybe that's why I'm short, slow and bald...

WHAT?! You didn't know that? OMG! Seriously, this is like high school, even elementary school stuff. You should not reuse your frying pan at all after dousing it in all those chemicals used to clean the chain. I do realize that the frying pans of today are not like those old ones our Moms used, but still! No amount of Teflon coating on your frying pan is gonna mean that it is ok to use for food and harsh chain oil and degreasers. Come on people!

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

bones wrote:
thisisatest wrote:ive never found anything stronger than http://www.citrasolv.com/

How long have you been riding bikes? Just curious because you state that you haven't found anything stronger.

FYI, gasoline, yes fuel for cars, as in petrol. This stuff is waaaaaaaay stronger than your Average Joe's citrus degreaser. I wouldn't kill off the environment with it though. Just stick to your soap and water, especially for all you Joes out there.

i was referring specifically to citrus-based degreasers. citra-solv is the strongest citrus degreaser ive ever used. it'll tear up certain plastics in seconds, too...

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

bones wrote:WHAT?! You didn't know that? OMG! Seriously, this is like high school, even elementary school stuff. You should not reuse your frying pan at all after dousing it in all those chemicals used to clean the chain. I do realize that the frying pans of today are not like those old ones our Moms used, but still! No amount of Teflon coating on your frying pan is gonna mean that it is ok to use for food and harsh chain oil and degreasers. Come on people!

Bones, I think Fourthbook may be joking!

bones

by bones

5 8 5 wrote:
bones wrote:WHAT?! You didn't know that? OMG! Seriously, this is like high school, even elementary school stuff. You should not reuse your frying pan at all after dousing it in all those chemicals used to clean the chain. I do realize that the frying pans of today are not like those old ones our Moms used, but still! No amount of Teflon coating on your frying pan is gonna mean that it is ok to use for food and harsh chain oil and degreasers. Come on people!

Bones, I think Fourthbook may be joking!

Oh. :oops:

Hee hee :lol:

tinker

by tinker

Just so we are all clear, citrus degreaser is not citric acid. The 'degreaser' in citrus degreaser is limonene which is a hydrocarbon (just like petrol and mineral spirits but limonene is cyclic) and is the smelly component found in citrus fruit.

marathon50

by marathon50

I use parafin oil works great, neat petrol will strip the chain.
If you cant get parafin oil use pertol and diesel mixed equal
quanties the diesel will act as a lube and will not destroy you
chain and block. After using clean chain and block off with warm
water dry and relube.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

use pertol and diesel mixed equal

What's the difference?

Ciao, ;)

sastre

by sastre

petrol in a bottle and place chain in then shake. remove use a rag to dry and bobs ur uncle then aply a lube of your choise works a charm :thumbup:

i no its not eco freindly so i dont use it often as it can get smelly
Full steam we go against the odds
Headfirst we go against the grain
Against the odds, against the grain
We go against the odds, against the grain

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I like how this thread is now talking about non-eco friendly products when it was very clear that the OP's question was about eco-friendly products, specifically citric acid as a degreaser.
</sarcasm>

Seriously, is there an inability to read here?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Fourthbook wrote:Prendrefeu: thanks for the tip! Do you use Zep at full strength or do you dilute it?

Totally missed this, sorry! :oops:

I use half-Zep, half-warm water. The cleaner machine also has a heating mechanism, which helps just a wee bit more than otherwise.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

prendrefeu wrote:I like how this thread is now talking about non-eco friendly products when it was very clear that the OP's question was about eco-friendly products, specifically citric acid as a degreaser.
</sarcasm>

Seriously, is there an inability to read here?

Yes. You included my friend. :mrgreen:

Quite some threads ago, at the very beginning of this thread actually, we came to the conclusion that there's little point in discussing citric acid as a degreaser since no one rides Nespresso.... (Except perhaps for George Clooney) :doh: :mrgreen:

Ciao, ;)