chainring bolt recommendation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

I am looking for chainring bolts to install Praxis Works rings to my SRAM red crank.
I'd prefer it to be red. any recommendations? It just needs to be reliable I think the original bolt specs torque 8nm or so.

Edit: I would also need one with hex on both the bolt and nut side to avoid stripping.
Last edited by PoorCyclist on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alexp247365

by alexp247365

Far N Near, or KCNC would work for colored bolts. I have the KCNC on my Praxxis rings.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

I prefer less writing on them if possible.

I found these do you think they will work great too?

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping ... p?id=22294

I didn't realize I need a chain ring tool.. like Park CNW-2?

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

KCNC and others make chainring bolts. Just need I think it's a 5 and 5.5mm? or 6 and 5.5mm? I forget, just changed my chainrings again and never remember what size.

Anybody that is selling bolts that require something different than a regular hex wrench, pass.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

so far I tound these which use hex on both sides
it appears KCNC also use a slot on the nut side.

http://www.aerozinebike.com/products40.htm

trikobe

by trikobe

I have the aerozine bolts and they are holding up well. I've removed and reinstalled a couple of times with no issues (stripping). I prefer hexes on both ends as the slots on kcnc, fsa, etc...are such a pain in the butt. I've used extralite bolts but will never buy again because the threads strips too easily...way before the recommended torque value.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

^ I haven't had this problem at all and run 6nm, plenty in my experance

PoPs if you can get em.... Very nice.. I like the extralites too, they only need one tool which is a big plus but again you gota find em.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Does anyone know the torque spec of for SRAM red chain ring bolts?

I ordered from Praxis yesterday and they are arriving today! I guess I will use the SRAM bolts for now and replace them later.
Last edited by PoorCyclist on Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rbrtwyn

by rbrtwyn

If you are OK with black, check out the Truvativ bolts. They are steel and I've found them more durable than the aluminum bolts. Double hex and work really well.

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/ ... ring-bolts

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I apologize, I mistakenly wrote KCNC when I meant Token chainring bolts earlier.

Token chainring bolts on my SRAM Red/Qring are my current setup, in black.

But they have all sorts of colors. $12 shipped from Taiwan off eBay.

The front part uses a 6mm hex, the back uses a 5mm.

Also, I use blue loctite on the threads, no problems, just hand tighten. There are 5 of them, you will know if they get loose or one falls out eventually, but I never had a problem. Easy10 minute swap job being careful to ensure the hex wrenches are flush and you don't gouge the outside part slipping the hex wrench on them, ask me how I know!

Sram puts some white loctite or something on the threads, darn near nightmare getting the stock chain rings off initially to swap bolts. Could only imagine they are running them 15nm or something high. But I don't see why 8-10nm isn't plenty as a guess. Again, blue loctite, hand tighten them pretty good, don't go crazy, they will hold fine and look sweet!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertg

by robertg

I have used the Token in the past and I had one crack on me with barely any force being applied. 4 of the 5 are fine so it could be that the one was a dud.