HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:43 pm 

xrs2 wrote:
Just to be clear...the OLD Assos bib shorts had the Cytech pad. The new shorts contain a very thin blue pad.

My experience, and the experience of one of my friends, is that the new Assos pads are quite uncomfortable and tend to bunch up. The old Cytech orange pads were awesome. I think this is a case where they improved something that didn't need improving.

The Rapha classic bib shorts have the same pad as the old Assos shorts. That said, the new Rapha bib shorts do not fit me very well. The seam in the crotch area tends to dig in and cause pain on long rides.

In short, the best bib shorts I have ever owned are the old Assos (orange Cytech pad). The new Assos shorts with the blue pad are terrible, and the new Rapha bib shorts with the Cytech pad are acceptable but not great.

Overall, I find the newer Assos stuff to be uncomfortable and does not fit me well at all. I'm not sure who their intended market is, as I'm built like a cyclist (6' tall, 145 lbs, big legs, skinny upper body) and it fits poorly.

I'm still searching for a good alternative to the old Assos bib shorts. Currently trying some Castelli stuff.

I TOTALLY agree, that is why all my Assos shorts, 3/4s, and winter tights all have the orange S2 insert, vastly superior imo ....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:49 pm 

Seriously, anyone who thinks by paying literally hundreds of dollars more for Assos or Rapha is going to get a ton of more performance is smoking crack. Number one thing. Fit. Number two thing is comfort. Number three thing is durability. There are enough bib shorts out there that will allow 99.9% of the population get a great pair of bib shorts without paying the marketing hype machines that are Assos and Rapha.

Last edited by bones on Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:49 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:14 pm 

I buy my Rapha stuff when it's on sale. I think the most I've paid is 150 dollars for bibs. Last year I got their 3/4 bibs for 120 or 140 dollars. Those are great prices.

and I've never tried on anything (Castelli, Sugoi, Louis Garneau, Etxe Ondo, Pearl Izumi, Gore, Giordanna, etc, etc, etc that fit me as well as Rapha.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:34 pm 

bones wrote:
Seriously, anyone who thinks by paying literally hundreds of dollars more for Assos or Rapha is going to get a ton of more performance is smoking crack. Number one thing. Fit. Number two thing is comfort. Number three thing is durability. There are enough bib shorts out there that will allow 99.9% of the population get a Greg pair of bib shorts without paying the marketing hype machines that are Assos and Rapha.

Remember, alot of us prefer riding stuff made from the hides of endangered animals so we are stuck with purchasing Assos and Rapha. There is no other way.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:54 pm 

billspreston wrote:
bones wrote:
Seriously, anyone who thinks by paying literally hundreds of dollars more for Assos or Rapha is going to get a ton of more performance is smoking crack. Number one thing. Fit. Number two thing is comfort. Number three thing is durability. There are enough bib shorts out there that will allow 99.9% of the population get a Greg pair of bib shorts without paying the marketing hype machines that are Assos and Rapha.

Remember, alot of us prefer riding stuff made from the hides of endangered animals so we are stuck with purchasing Assos and Rapha. There is no other way.

...and it's a bigger bonus if the clothes are made in an impoverished 3rd world country by enslaved toddlers who are working off a debt to be free.

Just Kidding :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:00 pm 

These discussions always turn ugly with Assos and Rapha. But here's my rankings for bottoms (bib tights, bib knickers, bib shorts), and the only considerations are fit, construction, and durability.

Assos > Giordana, DeMarchi > Castelli > Capo, Santini > Sugoi, Louis Garneau > Pearl Izumi, Descente (gone again)

No experience with Rapha, too hipster doofus for me :mrgreen:

EDIT to add in Castelli.

Last edited by Bigger Gear on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:39 pm 

bones wrote:

You've obviously never tried either .....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:53 pm 
in the industry

giant man wrote:
bones wrote:

My thoughts exactly!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:59 pm 

ultimobici wrote:
giant man wrote:
bones wrote:

My thoughts exactly!

bones has posted his Assos hate before. I think it is envy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:33 pm 

I love both Rapha and Assos. Rapha especially for their city stuff. Absolutely fantastic for commuting or casual biking. I also love the fit of my Castelli bibs, although the chamois is slightly smaller on this model than Assos, and doesn't extend very far at the front. I sometimes get off the bike to find some curlies sticking out the front around the edges of the chamois. For serious riding, I can take any of Assos, Rapha, Castelli or even some old Cannondale shorts I still wear and like.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:00 pm 
Shop Owner

I own both and multiple pairs of each. Would not go back for the Rapha.

Assos still the measure of a bib.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:18 am 

Tried Cannondale bibs, they feel like a nappy to me. And still managed to chafe.

I really rate the top Santini bibs. But one or both of either Assos or Rapha will be the next pair I buy...

Just been trying to find the conviction to pony up $300+ for a set of bibs (in the case of Assos).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:48 am 

For my money the basic S5 UNO Assos bibs are the most comfortable (Also only about $145AUD via Wiggle normally). I have 3/4 rapha ones and they are ok as well, but the chamois seems a bit too big, stiff and thick compared to the Assos - It's not uncomfortable, but it's not as good. I've tried the higher end Assos stuff, didn't think the extra dough was worth it at all. I have quite a few sets of different custom team kit, none of them are as good as the Assos, if I had to race and train in it all the time I'd be paying to get the Assos chamois transferred over.

Does anyone know if / where you can buy just the Assos chamois ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:21 am 

Yeah I have. Castillo, ok. Santini, ok. Giordana, ok. Pearl aizumi, great. Assos, sucks. And Rapha are a bunch of hunters, so no on them either.

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:21 am 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:25 am 

bones wrote:
Yeah I have. Castillo, ok. Santini, ok. Giordana, ok. Pearl aizumi, great. Assos, sucks. And Rapha are a bunch of hunters, so no on them either.

I have both, and perfer the Assos by a long shot. And the Pearl Izumi's cost about 30 bucks more.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next