Bib Shorts - Assos V Rapha

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Has anyone used both? If so can you tell me if they feel any different?

For the record, I am not interested in the marketing, hype, affordability or any other associated stuff. I am simply interested in comparing these products.

http://assos.com/en/19/singleProduct.as ... 2&prod=174
http://assos.com/en/19/singleProduct.as ... 2&prod=351
http://www.rapha.cc/bib-shorts
http://www.rapha.cc/pro-team-cross-bib-shorts

I'm currently using the S5 and the T607 and wondered about the Rapha ones. TIA

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I know the direction this one is going to go...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g_doraz

by g_doraz

Hi,

I've used the Assos T FI 13 Bib Shorts and the racing cut rapha shorts. I can honestly say that I love both and would happily buy either again for road riding / racing. However, for TT riding, I find the Rapha shorts to be much nicer - sometimes the chamois in the Assos shorts bunches up a bit and makes it a rather uncomfortable.

So, If road racing is all that you do, my advice would be to choose the shorts that are cheaper...
Road bike: Pinarello Dogma 60.1
TT bike: Trek Speed Concept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XxCZagAjk

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Price is almost irrelevant as I get cost on both. Having several pairs of Uno & T607, I thought I'd try the Rapha ones out. No racing just long rides & Fondo rides.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Tinea Pedis wrote:I know the direction this one is going to go...

+1

You just started WW3... Not good :noidea:

stang1

by stang1

gonna sit back and enjoy this one.. :beerchug:

Then again, im about to plunge for either as well :smartass:

bones

by bones

I'm not voting for either. Thus, the only real choice is neither.

I have used Assos products and I found them to be highly, highly overrated. Stitching inconsistencies, and poor durability did them in for me. Plus, they are totally overpriced and definitely not worth even 1/2 of their cost. As for Rapha, I don't buy their stuff. The look is retro, which is kinda cool, but the products like Assos are overpriced. It's all marketing hype.

There are tons of lower priced shorts that are not only a better value, but just better performing. Personally, I like pearl Izumi shorts. Not only are they cheaper than Assos and Rapha, the quality is better regardless of price.

STARNUT

by STARNUT

without taking the bait from the last post I'll wade in. The Rapha stuff doesn't have near the compression that the Assos stuff does, even the Mille which doesn't have a lot to start with. If you like that you'll like the Assos more. If you don't care look to pad sizing. Assos sizes their pads to the short. That is to say that each size gets it own sized pad. Rapha does as well but I've always felt the put the next size up in the bib. IE it feels like a medium has a large pad in it.

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

silvercivic27

by silvercivic27

I thought Rapha bibs used Assos chamois. Is that incorrect?

billspreston

by billspreston

^ I think they both use a Cytech pad, but the shape seems different to me. The Assos chamois is also dimpled whereas the Rapha is not.

I've used Assos Unos and Rapha Classic bibs. I eventually sold the Rapha bibs and now just buy the Unos for the following reasons:

• Significantly tighter fit.
  • More compression in the material.
  • Much shorter inseam length.

This isn't to say the Rapha bibs are bad, they were very comfortable. If you like Assos bibs and want to try Rapha I would size down one size to try and mimic the tighter fit.

finner

by finner

In a given size the Rapha will come up slightly larger. A medium Assos is pretty snug. The Rapha pad is nice and as someone has already mentioned not as bulky at the front which is noticeable in the tt position. Shorter inseam on the Assos not to everyones taste, try 'em on and the fit might make the decision for you.......

Roobay

by Roobay

they are both excellent shorts, in my view its a question of fit , both quite different , it may be a good idea to take up Rapha try them and if you don't like them send them back, something i don't know of any Assos dealers do, they have just relaxed a new classic short, which i find very comfortable :thumbup:
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

dolophonic

by dolophonic

You can try the Rapha bibs with their 30 day money back guarantee. Give them a go and let us know what you think.
The classic bibs are made from a very different/soft fabric. Work really well. Might have to check you put them on!
The pad on both are top notch.
The amount of negativity mr Bones is spewing is getting a bit OTT. We get it ...
Sure there are cheaper but the OP was asking a direct question. You may want to switch to decaf. :)

tri

by tri

What about wear and tare for the Raphas? Last season I gave assos a try. Bought 3 pairs of the Assos, T FI. Mille S5 bibshorts (longleg). While I really like the bib itself and can't really comment on the pad because it's degraded the same on all (they still feel comfortable). The thing I noticed is that they didn't stay black all that long (I wash my bibs after each ride irregardless of length of the workout).

How long do you use a pair of bibs (expected use)?

tommasini

by tommasini

tri wrote:What about wear and tare for the Raphas? Last season I gave assos a try. Bought 3 pairs of the Assos, T FI. Mille S5 bibshorts (longleg). While I really like the bib itself and can't really comment on the pad because it's degraded the same on all (they still feel comfortable). The thing I noticed is that they didn't stay black all that long (I wash my bibs after each ride irregardless of length of the workout).

How long do you use a pair of bibs (expected use)?

Just curious what you are using to wash your shorts. I've got Assos shorts over 10 years old and they still look, fit, and perform like new. Washed after each ride using a mild soap - usually Ivory (hand) dishwashing liquid. It was recommended years ago as a mild alternative to pricy hand wash/gentle cycle detergents.
Last edited by tommasini on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com