Vittoria Diamante Radiale Pro (220 tpi)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

tanhalt wrote:I got one hoping it would have a decent Crr due to the radial (almost) casing layout...but, alas, when I roller tested it, the results weren't good :(

Probably the rubber hairs aero drag slowing it down :lol:
If you do get to ride it outside I would like to hear what you think too. I just think they are definitely better than the rubino pro's.. and I didn't pay too much more for them.

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

tanhalt wrote:I got one hoping it would have a decent Crr due to the radial (almost) casing layout...but, alas, when I roller tested it, the results weren't good :(

That's sad... just how bad is it compared to others you've tested?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Phill P

by Phill P

What pressure did you run them at for the test? Vittorias need a bit more air pressure so you might have been over flexing the side walls reducing the Crr.
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

tanhalt

by tanhalt

rruff wrote:

That's sad... just how bad is it compared to others you've tested?

I don't recall the exact number (I can look it up later), but it was bad enough for me to relegate it to "commuter bike" usage :(

tanhalt

by tanhalt

Phill P wrote:What pressure did you run them at for the test? Vittorias need a bit more air pressure so you might have been over flexing the side walls reducing the Crr.

I test at 120psi on the rollers (Kreitler 4.5" diameter).

andrewleitch86

by andrewleitch86

Anybody used these on 23mm wide rims yet?

Wizzo

by Wizzo

Both on A23 and Hed Belgium wheelsets. Did not get the 22mm but the 24mm on 23mm rims measure out to be 27.87mm avg. with the calipers. I have also found out that riding with 70psi front and 75psi rear has been the best balance for my riding. I weigh 139lbs / 63~ish KG.

Miller

by Miller

I've been riding a pair of these in 24mm width for the past couple of weeks. I bought them because (a) I was interested in the concept and (b) some online shops are discounting them to about £24 each. Was willing to take a punt at that price.

The tyres are nicely made and light enough at 211g for my examples. They do have pronounced moulding hairs. They were tight to get on the rim but that's a trait of modern tyres, I assume no manufacturer wants to face a lawsuit based on tyres being too loose. They inflate fairly narrow. Recommended pressure ranges from 7 - 10 bar and I set them at 8 bar, higher than I would normally use but I was concerned about internet reports of cornering understeer with these.

Well, that turns out to be unfounded, it's not anything I can detect anyway. The tyres ride very nicely, I haven't encountered any lack of grip and my local Chiltern roads which poke flint fragments through Vittoria cotton casing tyres haven't done any damage to these... yet. So pretty happy with them.