Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:14 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:15 pm 

ok - so the long saga of waiting for my warranty frame came to an end last week and my 585 miraculously turned into a 695.

of course i'm stoked.

however - now that i'm planning the build i'm confused - i want to build it with di2 but i see info floating around of there being a 695 di2 bike.

did look send me the wrong frame (or did i fail to specify)?

is there a specific fame from look for the di2 group or is it a kit that would turn any 695 into di2?

any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:29 pm 

I don't have any first hand knowledge or experience but Glory Cycles lists a 695 and a 695 Di2 frameset separately. The descriptions don't seem to mention anything about Di2 however.

http://www.glorycycles.com/look6951.html

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:29 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:22 am 

that's part of what's making me wonder.

they, wrench science, and others have two distinct things listed.
now - the 695 comes with a whole 'kit' including cables, guides, pedals, etc - that's what i'm wondering - if the 'normal' 695 comes with cables, housing, teflon liner, etc. and the 695 di2 comes not with that but with di2 wiring instead.

if it's just a difference of kit that's fine - i can get what's needed through look but if there is a difference in the frame itself - there are mold-in holes for both front and rear shift cables, clearly with di2 you don't need both openings....

anyway, anyone have any first-hand knowledge?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:03 pm 

I don't know about the Look, but this is what Felt does with their Di2 vs standard AR

Di2: does not have cable tunnels, added bosses on NDS CS for battery. You can still run cables on the Di2 bike, but you have to fish the housing and it rattles in the frame

standard: cable tunnels. no battery mount

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:25 pm 

It is a different frame. Much the same mods as the Felt.

Concorde Shopper
Nagasawa Fixie Skid Machine
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track [custom]

Employee of Rapha
Instagram
Strava

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:45 pm 

yeah - thanks - sadly got word that there are physical differences - different openings mostly.
hopefully this won't take as long to straighten out as the 585.

thanks for all the help!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:07 am 

I the Look 695 owners manual shows how to external wire the frame, Don't think the di2 from Look is internal. I had to drill my frame and use the internal kit so all wires are in the frame. Lots of work but real clean.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:09 pm 

Vjl wrote:
I the Look 695 owners manual shows how to external wire the frame, Don't think the di2 from Look is internal. I had to drill my frame and use the internal kit so all wires are in the frame. Lots of work but real clean.

they do actually make a special frame - one that doesn't have an opening for front cabling and the 'grommet' for rear is wider to accept the di2 wiring.

is it fully internal?
no - wire still comes out by the bb and has to be zip-tied to the frame to connect to the battery.

whatever - i decided to go all 7900 for it - not worth the heart-ache.
just waiting on the zed chainrings and some wheels at this point to start the build - hopefully next weekend.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:14 pm 

lasrever wrote:
Vjl wrote:

they do actually make a special frame - one that doesn't have an opening for front cabling and the 'grommet' for rear is wider to accept the di2 wiring.

is it fully internal?
no - wire still comes out by the bb and has to be zip-tied to the frame to connect to the battery.

whatever - i decided to go all 7900 for it - not worth the heart-ache.
just waiting on the zed chainrings and some wheels at this point to start the build - hopefully next weekend.

I didn't know there was a difference when I ordered the 695SR from my LBS. It was only when I said I wanted to use the Di2 the guy mentioned that it was a different frame and cost a bit more.

Anyway after nearly 3 months I collected the bike last week...

Is yours ready yet?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:08 pm 

fatgary wrote:
I didn't know there was a difference when I ordered the 695SR from my LBS. It was only when I said I wanted to use the Di2 the guy mentioned that it was a different frame and cost a bit more.

Anyway after nearly 3 months I collected the bike last week...

Is yours ready yet?

it's all built but i haven't cut the seat yet - been having some issues with getting the fit for look pedals right (after 22 years on time i didn't expect it to be instant) so i'm waiting until that's stable before taking the saw to it.
i think i have it sorted but it's been raining for a week so i haven't been able to get the few more rides that will give me the confidence to hack away.

to be honest while i'm jealous of my friends on di2 i'm 200% happy with the 7900.

no official weight yet but uncut and with r-sys slr's it's about 15lbs.
(size xl, arione saddle, deda newton 44 bar & wrap, look rings (and crank clearly), look 130 stem, etc. etc. - nothing really in the bespoke light component arena)
should be interesting what it'll be with the madfiber wheels.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:27 pm 

ok - so only a few rides so i am not ready to actually review.
love it but like anything french it's idiosyncratic.
also - anything i have to say about it in terms of my other bikes is probably less about the look than about how good 'regular' bikes have become since i had a 585 and a different stable of journeymen rides.

15.2 as seen (well, with the water bottles completely empty) - not bad for an xl w/ a 13cm stem. (madfiber wheels currently curing)

what's heavy:
airone saddle - not compromising comfort for weight there.
full-length brake cable housing - i don't know why companies still do this, even for internal.
look chainring (made by praxis) - very pretty and shifts great but not the lightest (no, i didn't gram count).
frame protection - put zenbc's carbon shelter on the downtube, inside the fork crown, on the chainstay bridge, and as a partial chainstay protector - a few places i regularly ride have loose gravel and sand and i'd rather err on the side of protection (my supersix has received some sandblasting i wish to avoid on the look).
tacx tao bottle cages - yeah, i just like how they work.
skull-cap - have to have it.

what's light:
the fork - this thing is insanely light.
the stem - incredible given how solid it is.
madfiber wheels - well, when they get mounted.
control tech skewers - old 5mm non-qr.
kéo blade ti pedals - sick, seriously.

what's a push:
crank - it's an impressive bit of kit but not sure if the whole thing (bearings, lockrings, etc.) is any lighter than the 7900 or sisl as a whole.
deda newton shallow bars - there are lighter, there are heavier, i love how these feel.
r-sys slr wheels - the r-sys sl wheels are lighter and there are dozens of wheels that people love which weigh less/same for about the same price but i love mavic and damn do they look good in black.
7900 - works for me, not a fan of sram, the thumb shifter of campy gives me cramps, and it works.

will review more once i have more miles but i'm not buying another bike where you have to cut the seat mast like this again - it's set up fine but an external clamp like time or ridley or anyone else offers an ease of adjustment that this just doesn't afford - that being said i have no worries about the post slipping as my ample ass weighs heavily upon it.

that's it for now - of course it's pouring today so all bike related activities will be limited to rubbing it with a diaper.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:19 pm 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
Can't you use the spacers provided with the frame to make saddle height adjustment in 1 mm increments to as much as 4 (or is 3?) cm? And if you need it lower than spacers allow, then cut it again? This allows you to make some saddle and pedal/cleat adjustments without tossing the bike in the garbage.

The one sad thing about that bike is that Look decided to go with that stupid top tube kink, which serves absolutely no engineering, performance, comfort, reliability, durability etc., purpose whatsoever, and is only intended to be a distinctive look to identify "Look". In other words, its only purpose is marketing, and I have a hard time thinking that kink is increasing sales of that frame, or any other frame/bike in the Look lineup. Just as Pinarello is known for those stupid squiggly forks and seat stays, Look is now supposed to be known for the stupid top tube kink. The only difference is that Pinarello actually claims a performance (comfort) advantage for their design (however questionable that claim might be), whereas Look acknowledged that their top tube kink is just meant for brand identification, with no other benefit whatsoever. The kink design was not introduced until sometime after the 585, 595, and 586 (maybe starting with the 566 or other low end model).

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:14 pm 

HammerTime2 wrote:
Can't you use the spacers provided with the frame to make saddle height adjustment in 1 mm increments to as much as 4 (or is 3?) cm? And if you need it lower than spacers allow, then cut it again? This allows you to make some saddle and pedal/cleat adjustments without tossing the bike in the garbage.

of course you can but it's not as easy to do as one that clamps around the outside - plus it means you have to get the cut perfect since it's out in the open instead of covered by the seatmast head.

it's near two inches of adjustment but the smallest spacer is 1.5mm - anyway just saying i like the idea of something more subtle i guess in adjustment.

HammerTime2 wrote:
The one sad thing about that bike is that Look decided to go with that stupid top tube kink, which serves absolutely no engineering, performance, comfort, reliability, durability etc., purpose whatsoever, and is only intended to be a distinctive look to identify "Look".

to each their own - i do not know if there is an engineering point behind it but unlike the pinarello squiggles (or colnago gilco tubing for that matter) i like how it looks - it makes it seem alive, almost ready to pounce.

akin to a preying mantis or a panther.

but that's my opinion which is part of why i have it.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:21 am 

beautiful bike Nick

i initially wanted the Mondrian but after seeing the real thing i decided that it looked better in pictures than in life...

so i decided to go for the black (like yours) but was told that the SR frame does not come in black...

i was offered the Coifidis colour - but my Pinarello is already a similar colour

...finally i decided on the Black/White/Gold - and this looks a whole lot better in the life than on the screen... :thumbup:

btw... i was attracted to Pinarello because of the "squiggly" bits and ditto the 695 for the "kink" :lol:

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:21 am 

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:47 am 

Does the frame say anywhere it is made in France?