Extralite Road Stem OC

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

highwater

by highwater

I bought one of these off Ebay this year and it came with hex bolts. Tightened them to mfg torque specs and it has been fine. It went on an Enve 1.0 fork, and like others have stated, it was a super tight fit on the steerer tube. Totally happy with it thus far.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RedRacer

by RedRacer

I am a 90kg rider, although not a sprinter, and it works well for me. There is some side to side flex in the entire stem+bar assembly but I can't say that the Extralite is any less stiff than the Ritchey on my other bike. IMO this stem is one of the best stems out there when considering weight and a clean, simple design.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

+1 on the stiffness/weight ratio. Not the stiffest stem out there, but more than acceptable given the weight.

One other option is to use their "mountain" OC stem on a road bike. I don't know the exact stiffness differences, but the weight is roughly the same for an equal length stem in both road & mtb models.

williamsf1

by williamsf1

Ive had an extralite OC road fitted to a cervelo R5 before but now trying to fit one to an RCA and its really really tight!!! I can't even get it on even after taking the bolts all the way out!!!

HELP

Oswald

by Oswald

Looking at where the bolts are placed, it seems normal to me that the stems are tight on the fork steerer tube.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

williamsf1 wrote:Ive had an extralite OC road fitted to a cervelo R5 before but now trying to fit one to an RCA and its really really tight!!! I can't even get it on even after taking the bolts all the way out!!!

HELP

I had the same problem on my CAAD10 steerer. It's tight as hell. You need to just twist it left and right and it will drop little by little. Completely remove the two bolts from the stem.

williamsf1

by williamsf1

yep bolts removed!! I might have to resort to lightly sanding some of the coating on the steerer!!!

drainyoo

by drainyoo

You just need to use some elbow grease. It took a lot of force, and I was sweating like an ape when it was done, but it fits.

PuroScattista

by PuroScattista

ProudDaddy wrote:I once owned this stem. Beautiful and saved grams but did give me some headaches. As already noted in this thread, Zipp bars slipped unless torqued above spec (properly fitted with paste). Result was stripped bolt heads after a few loosening/retightening of bolts. As you mention, I also had fitment challenges with Edge forks and had to sand down the steerer tube to get the stem to properly fit. Finally, if you are a sprinter, I would not classify this stem as stiff. All that said, stem is a gorgeous piece of kit, I just would not recommend it for a race bike application especially if one is a sprinter.

what may you recommend to those more suited to sprinters/actually sprinting, and often. (I'm still wanting to be a WW on the stem however, if possible) thanks in advance.